8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Alternate version of 8 mm mvie film?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alternate version of 8 mm mvie film?
Alan L. Hitchcox
Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2007 01:41 PM      Profile for Alan L. Hitchcox   Author's Homepage   Email Alan L. Hitchcox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently purchased a decent collection of films from a local collector. Two of movies are in a format I have never seen before.
The film appears to be 8-mm wide (I haven't actually measured it yet), but it does not have rectangular sprocket holes on the side. Instead, it has a slot in the center axis of the film between each frame. Plus, the film is not mounted on an open reel; it's in a metal cannister with an opening where the film comes out. The cannister appears to hold about 50-ft of film.
The film is in a box from Pathex, which I recognize as a popular name from the 1930s or earlier.
Can anyone shed some light on this format and know of someone who has a compatible projector?
Thanks for your help.
-Alan

--------------------
Alan Hitchcox
Willoughby, Ohio USA

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 11, 2007 02:36 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like 9.5mm or do you know that gauge and this definately isn`t that.
Theres a 9.5mm gauge interest section further doen on the forum if it is, certainly sounds like it. If its actually 9.5mm wide then bobs your uncle.
The name certainly sounds right for 9.5. with its center sprocket.
Best Mark.

Alan L. Hitchcox
Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2007 11:21 PM      Profile for Alan L. Hitchcox   Author's Homepage   Email Alan L. Hitchcox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Mark. You're absolutely right.
I did a little checking and actually found catalog listings for the two titles I have. From what I read, 9.5 mm was the first home movie format, introduced in the 1920s. It was overtaken within a few years in the US by 16mm, probably with a big push from Kodak. I also read that it remained popular in the UK and continental Europe until the 1950s.
It's an interesting format, but I can't get involved because I'm already in too deep with 8 and S8.
-Alan

--------------------
Alan Hitchcox
Willoughby, Ohio USA

Alan L. Hitchcox
Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2007 11:22 PM      Profile for Alan L. Hitchcox   Author's Homepage   Email Alan L. Hitchcox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Mark. You're absolutely right.
I did a little checking and actually found catalog listings for the two titles I have. From what I read, 9.5 mm was the first home movie format, introduced in the 1920s. It was overtaken within a few years in the US by 16mm, probably with a big push from Kodak. I also read that it remained popular in the UK and continental Europe until the 1950s.
It's an interesting format, but I can't get involved because I'm already in too deep with 8 and S8.
-Alan

--------------------
Alan Hitchcox
Willoughby, Ohio USA

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC