8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo SC-18

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo SC-18
Dan Bell
Junior

- posted August 14, 2007 11:42 PM      Profile for Dan Bell   Email Dan Bell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just purchased an Elmo SC-18. The woman I bought it from purchased it new and has only used it twice- then put it in a box the past 26 years. Everything turns on fine, but it does not thread. When I opened it I found a broken belt in the bottom of the machine. It is a small belt- there is a larger belt which runs between the two reel arms. Not sure where the smaller belt went. Anyone familiar with this machine? Hoping that is all it is (for $35 guess I can't go wrong).

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 15, 2007 01:53 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Dan. Great little projector. The SC series (SC8, SC18 and SC30) is quite an interesting range of machines.

There are three belts inside the SC18:

- The shutter belt, located at the bottom right, behind the flywheel
- The take-up belt, which runs between both arms
- The counter belt which runs on top of the screen section.

I suppose that it's this last one that you've found broken. Unless you really need to use the counter, you can live without it.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Dan Bell
Junior

- posted August 15, 2007 12:35 PM      Profile for Dan Bell   Email Dan Bell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc,

Thank you for the feedback. I think this belt is the shutter belt, as I have inspected the area all around the flywheel and can't seem to find a belt at all. Still not sure how or where the belt sits exactly. Also, the fan and flywheel both turn, but the gears are not moving- that is generally a belt issue, correct? Don't know if I should have someone else look at it (I live in L.A. and there are a few people who do that out here- including Irv Higdon). The machine was not used for over 20 years- and it looks brand new. I know sitting is one of the worst things for projectors. If it is just a belt though that seems like a total waste (I've spoken with Irv before and he seems very expensive and always recommends taking everything apart and re-assembling). I am not very mechanically inclined but do own a HD1200ST and have changed those belts a few times- but it seems more obvious where they are located.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 18, 2007 05:48 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan: if you managed to change the main drive belt on an Elmo ST1200, you're up to change it on the SC18 as it is easier.

Let's have a look inside:
 -

Remove the flywheel... (take the holding pin off, remove washers then pull gently towards you)
 -

You will notice an off white plastic part, roughly 2 inches long, that connects the motor to the drive pulley. It's spring-mounted. If you pull this part towards left, you will create a gap near the lower pulley. You might slide the new belt through that gap.
 -

The original belt is v-shaped but I suppose a round one could do the trick. Belt material is available from most dealers.
You might want to try a drive belt for the ST600/160/180. Basically, the SC18 is the same machine with a built-in screen.
 -

I got many different belts from seller "isellprojectorbelts" on ebay.
Belt material can be purchased from Derann in the UK. I'm sure there are dealers in the USA.

Hope this helps.

--------------------

Dan Bell
Junior

- posted August 18, 2007 02:04 PM      Profile for Dan Bell   Email Dan Bell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow- thanks so much! Never anticipated actually photo diagrams- that was very generous and I really appreciate your time. There is a guy hee who sells the belts and I will let you know how it works out.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 19, 2007 01:58 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, cool. And welcome to the Forum...

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC