8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The Mummy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Mummy
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2007 06:47 AM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got to watch my new print of Derann's The Mummy over the weekend and like people said - it's a gorgeous print. Of all the Hammer features I would say this one's the best as far as sharpness and richness of color... but there is one little problem. My reel four has a strange squiggly marking that rolls from the top to the bottom of the screen. It looks like a lab mark or something. I can't imagine all the prints have this because it's pretty annoying especially when there is black in the image you really see it. It's a real bummer but I think I should send this reel back to Gary for a replacement. Has anyone had a similiar problem with a new Derann print?

---Ooops I just realized this is in the wrong section of the board but I can't move it...

[ August 19, 2007, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Brian Hendel ]

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 19, 2007 08:20 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds odd - certainly not on all prints. Hopefully you can get it replaced so long as it isn't negative damage.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2007 11:59 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the mark is white, yellow, or brown this is negative. Black a positive. White is usually cell scratches and can be removed with scratch removal, if there is a company that does that now. Here in the Los Angeles area a company called Durafilm went out of business a long time ago as far as I know.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2007 11:59 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,mine is the same.It must have been a lab fault.Andy.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2007 02:15 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does a lab fault mean they can correct it by striking a new print? It's just a bummer that it's through my favorite part of the movie...

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2007 03:38 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, if this is so annoying and noticable it's a shame that no one who knows that this defect is on the print didn't inform you of it when you were asking questions here before you bought it [Confused] I know just how you feel, and I too would be very annoyed with it [Frown]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2007 04:14 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like the marks are not on all the prints. It's hit or miss.

If I had bought it used at a good price I would be able to ignore it... but buying a new print from Derann I really didn't expect it. I notice in their catalogue they alert you when there are negative issues (7th Voyage of Sinbad, etc) but there's no warning with The Mummy. And why couldn't it be reel one?! Reel four is when the action really gets going!

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2007 07:12 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,

I would have a word with Derann and send it back. Derann are very good and would sort it out. Rest assured. [Smile]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 20, 2007 07:12 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The prints I've seen or heard about - that don't have this fault - would have been produced soon after it was released. It would be helpful to know when Andrew got his. If it's exactly the same fault, that makes negative damage seem very likely, so I'm surprised by the lack of warning from Derann.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2007 02:35 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
It was two years ago i got my print of THE MUMMY.Andy.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2007 12:38 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still waiting to hear back from Gary at Derann. He hasn't answered my emails yet from the weekend so I'm assuming he's checking with the lab. I bet it's something that's on all the prints because of negative damage so I'm not quite sure what to do about it.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2007 03:23 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Brian,What's the latest news on your print?.Andy.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2007 07:10 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got another message from Gary at Derann. He said the guys at the lab were on vacation for a couple weeks so there was a delay. He screened the reel and noticed the problem. He just isn't sure if it's a printing problem or a permanent negative defect... sooo... the wait goes on. I'll post an update when I find out more.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2007 08:17 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quick Update: Gary sent another email. The lab is cleaning the negative of The Mummy Reel #4 and will try to print it again to see if the problem is corrected. I guess I won't get it in time for my Halloween show... Oh well, it will be worth it in the end if the strange rolling lines go away. Stay tuned...

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 11, 2012 07:19 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brian, I know this is an old thread,but there is a copy of "The Mummy" on ebay now.For what it's worth,I bought a copy on it's
release and there are no marks.

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2012 04:38 AM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hugh,

can you please post the link or simply the auction no?

Thanks
Flavio

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2012 06:32 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no marks on my print, either.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 12, 2012 06:47 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Flavio, the number of the item is 221122677361 has 4 days
to run and is described as good condition.Sorry I haven't
acheived the techno skills to do the one click magic.

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2012 02:59 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
link

Flavio Stabile
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2012 03:28 PM      Profile for Flavio Stabile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thnks Hugh and Oemer!

The photos are really impressive in my opinion and I'm very tempted to bid... [Smile]

Not really happy with the fact it is provided on one 2400 foot reel... [Eek!]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 13, 2012 03:42 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Flavio,he who hesitates is lost,Carpe Deum,seize the day.If you
aren't completely sure,put in a silly bid,you might just get it.It's
too good a film to ignore, and God alone knows when one will
crop up again.

David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2012 05:22 PM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my copy 3 years ago and it is beautiful ! No lines and color is just marvelous ! One of the BEST Hammer films !

--------------------
Dave

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC