8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Star Wars (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Star Wars
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 15, 2011 12:46 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ThanX 4 those shots from the Super 8 version. That shot of Luke there has the same look of color as my copy, but sadly, that scene in the asteroid field still looks very brownish.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 16, 2011 01:59 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who cant afford the full features with, a little bit of creative editing [Smile] joining all four digests up can give you a bit of Star Wars fun.
 -
you will need to make some reels though with a one and a quarter inch centre.
 -
 -
Graham. [Smile]

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2011 03:49 PM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice color shots from Empire, Graham! I'm also lucky enough to have both parts of ESB with nice color. Some shots from my Part 2 are on this page:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005662;p=1

I would love to see some shots of Star Wars Part 2 with nice color if anyone has?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 17, 2011 01:34 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that the part 2 has tended to hold it's color quite well.

Still, I'm waiting for some (PLEASE?!) to put up some screenshots from part 1 during the asteroid sequence, as though I have terrific color on the rest of that part 1, that one sequence is awful broun and I's love to see if any copies actually had no fade to that part.

--------------------

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2011 09:34 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh STARWARS, Love em (untouched versions)
My cinema opened it's theatrette in 1983 with RETURN OF THE JEDI to packed houses so much that the former owner of the theatre said that he ran another session 20 minutes later in the other theatre ( both theatres running 20 minute changeovers with carbons)and as the 1st sessions changeovers where done he took the reels next door and they got ran again!
Recently watched my SW and ESB digests, great fun, would of been a sight to see in the 70s!

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2011 09:45 PM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took these pics of my ESB Part 1 tonight. The last three are during the asteroid scene. The first two are for color reference.

-

-

-

-

-

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2011 12:04 AM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for the original 'Star Wars', still. Bargainn price would be great, but know that price will dictate the sale. Let me know if you need to move yours on to another collector who will take great care of the print.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 18, 2011 09:25 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well John ...

That certainly answers my question as to whether that asteroid sequence was just a faulty negative source or not! John, could you look at your perforations and tell me what film stock that is, as that will help my search immensely.

Once again, thanX 4 the screenshots. The strange thing is that while the earlier shots in the reel have absolutely spot on color, (facial tones and all) it's that last three or so minutes of part 1 that suffer terribly.

Therefore, a question for anybody who might know. Though all versions of this digest worldwide were the same edit (2X400ft and a rarely seen 200ft), could the source negative that went out worldwide have been on different film stocks which may answer why this last sequence is so lacking in color on most digests, but are obviously spot on in John's digest, for instance?

--------------------

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2011 11:43 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

Now that's what I call "ultimate Star Wars trivia".... [Big Grin]
To recognize the pipe on the wall...wonderful.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2011 03:28 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, when the time comes, you could retire comfortably just by manufacturing more of those amazing reels and selling them to us.

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2011 04:15 PM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, there are no letters near the perfs on my ESB Part 1, but the following info is on the leader:

Maritz Lab "Empire Strikes Back" Rev.

Dec 23, 1982 FCL69855 Part 1 "The Empire Strikes Back" Ken Films, INC. HEAD

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 19, 2011 12:43 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Claus [Smile]

Bill I was given a pile of old Japanese Karaoke Laser Discs [Eek!] they are just about the same diameter as the Elmo 1200ft reels and nice and flat to [Smile] ...so all is needed is a centre and a hole saw [Big Grin] food for thought. [Roll Eyes]

Graham.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 19, 2011 10:26 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That could mean that your print could be a LPP print, as LPP had just come out within a year of that time , I believe.

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 19, 2011 12:26 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to read all these SW postings, but I do wonder what people make of the new Blu-Ray quality? Like many the old 8mm boxes/films do hold a great deal of magic and I kinda like the various cut down reels un-touched when projected.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 19, 2011 12:45 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dec '82 is supposedly the last batch from Ken's so, indeed, it could be low fade stock.

Lee, I watched Empire on Bluray a few days ago and to be honest I don't see much difference with the last DVD transfer.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2011 01:20 PM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe I bought my low-fade copy of ESB Part 1 from you, Jean-Marc, if I remember correctly.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 19, 2011 01:33 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see you bought a good LPP copy.

Now, if I can just find a copy myself ...

"Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?"

Once again, a magnificent print of ESB part 1.

DRAT! Now I'm really wanting one!

--------------------

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2011 07:55 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been years since I've seen this digest. I can't believe they left out important events, but I would imagine it must have been part of the deal. Here's an auction with youtube of the entire reel:

http://cgi.ebay.es/Pelicula-Super-8-Star-Wars-Imperio-Contraataca-V-O-Ingles-Episodio-V-Super8-/280742197151?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_186&hash=item415d89f79f

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 20, 2011 01:03 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, yes I remember, exactly one year ago.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 20, 2011 10:35 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always hate that kind of auction. Unless the You Tube link is from that actual print and the You Tube was put up by the person actually doing the auction, you really have no way of knowing as to whether the image quality is what the video shows. Potentially fraudulent.

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 20, 2011 11:06 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right Osi, and in that particular case, the YT vid is 9 months old. The seller is saying that the video and the photos are similar to what he is offering for auction (he says that the video is to check content of the reel).

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2011 03:51 AM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen this? Parts 1 & 2 have been re-edited and are being sold together on eBay out of NY.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230676223863?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

According to the description, "pro editing inter-cut in the right order. focus & sound does not shift on the cuts"

Sounds like a lot of work to me. 7 day auction, no reserve and starting at $50. Not sure if I'm going to bid. If anybody here gets it, let us know if it looks as good as advertised.

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 22, 2011 10:26 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey John!

Be willing to part with that nice color digest?

OSI

--------------------

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2011 12:47 PM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Osi, but I have one of each part with good color and I want to hold on to the pair. Good luck !

Oscar Iniesta
Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2011 02:04 PM      Profile for Oscar Iniesta   Email Oscar Iniesta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About the spanish ebay auction, I have to say that spanish super 8 fans know this seller very well, because we have been talking several times. We dont exactly know what happens. But we have seen how the same articles are sold again and again and usually, they reach very high prices, despite they are not features or hard to find collectibles. You will see the Star Wars film been sold from time to time (last days it was sold for more than 200 euros!), the Star Wars OST CD box, and my favourite, the Yelco DS630MS, sold for more than 500 euros!!! I canīt say more.
Pd; SPANISH SUPER 8 FANS ARE WORKING TO KEEP SUPER 8 ALIVE, AND WE ARE SERIOUS BUYERS AND SELLERS.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC