8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS 1200 lamps

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS 1200 lamps
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 11, 2007 04:28 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight I changed from the Philips ELC/5H 250 watt,"500hr life", thats the one I previously mentioned that I was using with an "external power supply" and instead tried a normal "Osram ELC 250watt" to get a comparsion, although I knew the long life lamp was a bit duller, the conclusion I came to was that the Osram even on its lower brightness setting was still much brighter, so I would recomend not to use the Philips, [Frown]

At present the GS1200 with the combination of the two bladed shutter and the Osram 250 watt lamp not only looks great, but the projector is now running the best in the 14 years that I have owned it. Super8 has never looked so good. [Cool]

Graham. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted September 11, 2007 05:48 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, is it an Osram Xenophot? They are supposed to be 15% brighter than regular halogen lamps. I have one ELC on my 16CL and the 150w version on my ST1200. Too bad Osram never manufactured Xenophot ESCs or EJLs.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2007 12:09 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Extra brightness was achieved in my case by fitting a new lampholder from The Reel Image in USA; this is a direct fit...no modifications required. This cost around £22 including shipping. As my old lampholder was suffering from bad contacts around the lamp pins, these actually acted as a resistor to the current and therefore any lamp would never be able to glow at full brightness. Furthermore, I can add that WIKO ESC lamps offer an excellent light output.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 11, 2007 03:39 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean Marc
The Osram ELC is a Xenophot HLX 64653 its an incredibly bright lamp, I hope they still make them as I would like stock up on this one. I would like to use it for both the B/H and GS.

Simon
I have always found it a good idea when changing a projector lamp to clean the new lamp pins before fitting, I usually use some 320 grade rubbing down paper the stuff used on car body work, there is a fair amount of current draw through those tiny pins so any resistance turns to heat and sadly we dont pick up on the damage being done until its to late. I would suggest to anyone to do this before fitting lamps "prevention is better than cure"

Graham. [Smile]

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2007 04:24 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
250w in a 200w projector eh? I hope the transformer in the US GS1200's is okay but they wouldn't be over here.

I too have a WIKO ESC and it is one of the brightest. Strangely, I currently have an EJL installed which is on a par with most of the ESC's.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 12, 2007 06:57 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It came to me, that the reason "I think" the Osram is a brighter lamp is that they use Xenon gas in there lamp, it is stated "More Light through Xenon" on the box, could this allow the filament to burn brighter without it burning out. [Roll Eyes] any thoughts?
I contacted the Osram importer in this country and was told they dont stock them any more [Frown] however I do purchase Osram Xenon lamps for the cinema "good customer" [Wink] and they will try Australia for me, so will hope and see.

Graham.

PS are they readily available in the UK and Europe?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC