8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The Silencers - Columbia Digest

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Silencers - Columbia Digest
Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2007 02:56 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just picked up a brand new sealed Mountain UK print of that Dean Martin 60's Spy camp fest THE SILENCERS which was issued by Columbia as a 400ft colour sound digest,I am reluctant to open it now as I fear the colours may have faded/turned to red??

Has anyone else got a copy hat has faded or all the colours still good??

|  IP: Logged

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2007 05:41 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,

I have a B & W 200ft, a colour 200ft and a colour 400ft. There is some fade on the colour ones, but still very watchable. Mine are in Columbia picture boxes, not the Mountain ones or the Columbia generic ones.

The few Mountain Columbia films I have had were badly faded, yet other Mountain films are very good holding their colour.

I should also point out that I have a sealed copy of The Deep, which I never got around to running so have just kept it sealed. I have often wondered how it has endured over the years, but once it's opened it is not brand new any more.

Stella Stevens looks great on Super 8!

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2007 06:11 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-David,

Thanks for your comments,well I will have to take the plunge tonight and open the box to find out-fingers crossed!!!

Looking forward to seeing Stella Stevens on the big screen now!!!

I will let u know what the print is like asap

Cheers Mark

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 19, 2007 12:43 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends how it has been stored Mark. My pal has a copy kept cool for many years and his it very watch able. Hope all goes well with the big screening..

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2007 08:24 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, I also have B & W 200ft, a colour 200ft and a colour 400ft of this title, all in Columbia boxes. The 400 foot one has the best colour, but it still is not great. The 200 foot one is a more enjoyable edit.

When Dino rips Stella's dress off -- WOW! It's twice as nice in Santiago!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 19, 2007 10:43 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I once opened a sealed film and found....it has bad VS!!!

So...a sealed film did not guarantee we will get a good quality of film.

Now, I'm rather doubt to buy a sealed film (more over people can also do re-seal with cellophone and declare as a brandnew).

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted September 20, 2007 01:03 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a copy and the colors are very good. A nice little 400' digest it is too. I would love to have the whole feature.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2007 03:50 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers guys!!!

I will now have to open the box tonight to find out,can't wait any longer!

I will report back ASAP

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted September 20, 2007 04:03 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super 8 has never seen such excitement in years Mark !
Crums..I even had the GS1200 out last night for a clean up.

[Big Grin]

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2007 04:41 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-Lee,

LOL!! [Smile] ..Well I thought I would liven the forum up a bit,may have to wait another week to open the box to keep the suspense level up!!!

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2007 09:42 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great news!!! just opened the sealed box and checked the colour and to my surprise the colours still look great,what a stroke of luck!!

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2007 11:15 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
While it sounds as if the colors held up, hopefully the infamous (or is it "insipid"?)Columbia narrator faded instead.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2007 12:49 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finally screened the print this afternoon and it was great with stunning Technicolor,shame the neg Columbia used was rather worn in places but I thought the Mountain UK print was good if not better than the imported Columbia Yellow box US print.

Stella Stevens & Dalia Lavi have never looked better!!

Though I could bloody strangle that Columbia narrator who is very good at explaining the obvious!!

I actually screened the Ken digest of GIRLS,GIRLS,GIRLS after which co starred Stella Stevens too,again a stunning Technicolor print.

Cheers MarkW

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2007 06:52 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time to get out Poseidon Adventure for more Stella!

I ran Girls, Girls Girls the other day too, clour still very good too. Stella never gave in to Elvis' advances unlike so many others.

If only Nutty Professor was released on Super 8. Even an extract would have my order so fast....

David

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 18, 2007 07:46 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those S8 collectors unfortunate enough not to have any of Stella's movies:
[Smile]
 -

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2007 07:54 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!!!

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 18, 2007 04:38 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul.. She has nothing on Sheila Ryan . Hee.
Just a bit of fun....

-

See Sheila in CIRCUS OF FEAR on Super 8. JOY!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 18, 2007 05:57 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Lee, I must confess that I have never heard of Sheila Ryan. But of course beauty (and sex appeal) is in the eye of the beholder. In the leg department, legend has it that the best legs in the movie business belonged to Betty Grable. But Grable never did a thing for me, and I never understood her world wide star appeal, particularly when compared to the far more attractive and definately more talented Alice Faye of the same 1940's Fox Musical period.
My vote for the best legs on the super 8 screen? That little hoofer Ruby Keeler!

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 18, 2007 06:23 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tell you what Stella Stevens still looks good for 2007 !!!!!!!
Best Mark.
Ps I could never quite work out if I found her attractive but she did have one or two things going for her.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 18, 2007 08:40 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see another another topic coming our way.........

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 19, 2007 02:54 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Alice Faye is my dads sweetheart. Now 90 dad is still a great fan of her work and his dvd collection is BIG. Dad also has her This is your Life which was very nice.
I think it safe to say we love all these girls eigh.

Happy days.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 19, 2007 05:50 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow 90 Lee, thats good news as should stand you in good stead for a few more decades of film watching, good genetics etc.
I have to make a confession that whenever I watch any film one of my chief pleasures amongst enjoying the plot and action and scenery !!!! etc is the ladies, but what can you do.
I`m 40 now, does that switch off before long???
Best Mark.

Gregory Oliver
Junior

- posted May 10, 2017 09:19 PM      Profile for Gregory Oliver   Author's Homepage   Email Gregory Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just found a 5-inch loop in the closet of The Silencers by Columbia. Probably had it for more than 40 years and 5 moves.
It is still sharp.
I wonder how much it is worth?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC