8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Day of the Triffids 4x400ft colour version?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Day of the Triffids 4x400ft colour version?
Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2007 10:35 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe a strange question this, but here goes...

Does anyone know if Mountain released The Day of the Triffids in a 4x400ft colour version.

I've had the 1x400ft version since I was a kid and extended it over the years with the 2x200ft extracts, "Invasion of the Plant Creatures" and "Destruction of the Creeping Monsters" (what an imagination for titles those Mountain guys had!)

I'd like a longer version of this daft old film as it is one of my favourites (silly, I know, but I like it!)

I know there was a 4x400ft B&W version because I hired it many years ago (oddly it was masked for widescreen rather than being a pan and scan) and I vaguely remember seeing a 'scope print being sold second hand years ago but the guy described the colour as poor and "brownish" from new.

The flat colour extracts are pretty good considering and I'd love to find a longer version!

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 15, 2007 10:50 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your right Rob, there was a colour release on super 8, but i don't know if it was in scope. Be quite a find though. I remember that slightly low budget classic when i was a kid. SCARY!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2007 11:04 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello rob,
i like this film too.i did have a 4x400 colour version a few years ago,but sold it. this had very poor colour and wasnt very sharp either,and ive no idea who released it.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2007 11:24 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David, that sounds like it could have been a Mountain release.

Shame about the colour / definition though as the print on the 1x400ft version is ok and I'd hoped a longer version might look the same.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 15, 2007 12:47 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob,

I have the color/scope "Day of the Triffids". It's a Mountain print and the color is absolutely on the brownish side. No, it's not the sharpest of prints either. It is fun to watch, though. Love those walking plants sneaking up on unsuspecting humans!
I have the film threaded on a 1200' spool, which it fills right to the top.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2007 01:38 PM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cor, what a sad bunch we are!!! I too have an affection for that awful film! The John Wyndham book however has to be just about the most gripping work of fiction ever written.

If you haven't seen it Rob I recommend the BBC mini series of the same title which really is the book come to life. It's been available on DVD for a couple of years now and worth every penny. They also repeat it on BBC3/BBC4 occasionally.

Trust that Doug Meltzer to have the Super 8 colour 'Scope 4x400ft!!! I could have guessed he'd pipe up!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 15, 2007 04:57 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the 4 x 400' flat version and I'm pretty sure that there's even a rare 7 x 400' full length version (probably flat only but I'm not absolutely certain).

I'm not sure if any film has ever been so ransacked for different versions; apart from the 200' releases and the 400', I even once briefly owned a different 400' that Mountain released under the title 'Blind Terror'. If I remember rightly, although the 4 x 400' flat version was masked, the 400' and 200' releases were full frame.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2007 02:52 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can confirm there were the following versions of "The Day of the Triffids" as I have either owned them or had them through my hands at some point. 7x400' F/L (very rare) Colour Sound,
4x400' Colour Sound Scope & Flat (panned & scanned) also a 4x400' B/W version (rarer than the colour prints). Plus of course the 400' version and a couple of 200' extracts. The colour on all was of the Brownish kind even on new prints, so if you find a print today that looks that way it is probably no worse than when first released. It's a fascinating story about how the final cinema cut arrived, as the Kieron Moore lighthouse scenes were not in the original script, they had a test screening of a cut that featured only the other characters (Howard Keel etc.) and it was not a success, and there was no way they were going to scrap a John Wyndham based story, or the exspense of hiring Howard Keel, so the Lighthouse segments were dreamnt up to put more heightened tension into the film, and I believe these were filmed about 4-5 months after the initial production rapped, and the whole film was re-edited, and released. I know that the book is far superior, but I must admit I kinda like this disjointed film, it shouldn't really work, but it's enjoyable all the same, and it's nice to see Howard Keel in a non musical for a change, as he was (in my opinion) a much better actor than he was ever credited for.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2007 12:57 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all that info everyone!

Yes, John, sad is the word... [Roll Eyes]

I just loved this movie as a kid so have a real affection for it! I found the novel hard work to be honest, Wyndham can be quite wordy I think, and whilst a lot of his novels have great themes and brilliant scenarios, I find them difficult to get through sometimes. Just my humble opinion as I know he is generally regarded as a sci-fi genre genius!!! But yes, the BBC series is a great transition from novel to TV drama and I've enjoyed it several times [Smile]

But back on the subject of 8mm...WOW...a full length version...I want THAT!

My original 400ft version which I have owned since I was about 10 years old looks pretty good with nice colours; lots of rich blues and oranges in those opening meteorite scenes so I was hoping that longer versions would be of similar quality, but if that's not to be then I'll bet they are still better than the DVD version of the movie which looks ok colour-wise on a TV screen but is horribly soft when projected (plus the sound is out of sync for a lot of it). Digital technology, eh?

Anyway, all that advice has given me lots of versions to look out for in the future! Thanks!

Barry, you're right about the added lighthouse scenes. It's my understanding that these were actually directed by an uncredited Freddie Francis of Hammer Horror notoriety. Pity he didn't handle the rest of it really.

Apparently, Howard Keel hated the script so much he would re-write his lines on a daily basis. Maybe that's why he ends almost every line with the expression, "hmmph!" Just watch the movie again and you'll see what I mean!!!

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2007 10:18 AM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add my thoughts to the mix: I picked up a 6x400ft flat print of this from Classic during their recent sale and was sure it was the full length version. Great film but unfortunately it's quite pink in places. It's still incredibly watchable though, and it'll do until I can track down the scope 4x400.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2011 11:04 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just won the scope feature I came across on Italian Ebay. Can't wait to get it since I have been looking for this title for some time. Hope the color is OK... but I'm not expecting too much from the previous posts. I have never even seen this film so it will be great getting to experience it for the first time on Super 8 and in scope!

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2011 11:08 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this when it was first released. I remember it cost me 75 cents to see it and that was expensive. I have a laserdisc of it. There was a version that was sold a few years ago on Ebay UK.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2011 11:22 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My only memory of this film is the line from the opening number of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show": "And I really got hot when I saw Janette Scott fight a triffid that spits poison and kills."
Never knew what movie the lyrics were referring to till much later.

Joe McAllister
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2011 04:40 PM      Profile for Joe McAllister   Email Joe McAllister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was lucky enough to see "Day of the Triffids" when it was still knocking around the cinemas . However none of the copies I have seen since have been much good. The 8mm, 16mm, VHS and DVD versions I have seen all seem to come from sub par master material. Even the copies shown on TV are pretty poor although the print last shown on BBC was a slight improvement over previous versions.
A shame as like many others here I have a great fondness for the film. I still have a 400ft colour version on 8mm from Mountain. Unless there is a restoration , which seems unlikely the 'scope 8mm print may be the best version available.

--------------------
Always interested in privately produced amateur and home movies.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2011 12:02 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a laserdisc but the colors do seem a bit muted.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2011 01:38 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey anybody know were I can find a B/W version 400ft????

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 03, 2012 03:20 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got both versions on s/8.THE 4X400 version has far better
colour than the longer 6x400 which was poor when purchased.
Both were bought in about '86 '87.The shorter has the bonus of
being in 'scope,but the longer version I think was printed from
a poor source to start with and is full frame.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC