8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8mm appears in Indonesian Magazine...!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8mm appears in Indonesian Magazine...!!!
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 02, 2007 03:51 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

Perhaps it is only in the UK, US, Germany and some European countries where 8mm films are still in place. Yet, it is hardly seen a magazine is covering 8mm in their publications, unless in some dedicated/segmented magazines such as "small format", "Super8 Today", "Film for Collector" and sort of.

But when it appears in Indonesian magazine then it is quite surprising, noting that it is almost impossible to meet a collector here (even in Asia, unless a small number in Japan & Hong Kong).

However, the latest edition of ME ("Male Emporium"), a man life style magazine has changed that and one article of 8mm could increase 8mm fellow here.

Enjoy...

(I put a free translation for each page)

-

-START-

Rambo in Super 8mm

quote:
On the second floor at [name of place], Winbert Hutahaean (WH) is keeping his entire collection of around 450 super 8mm films in a dedicated room which is designed like a mini cinema. The super 8mm film is a celluloid based format that is similar to the one used in regular cinemas, only it has a smaller width.

Because it is 8mm width therefore it is called super 8mm, while the regular cinema is using 16mm and Imax is 35 mm (wrong quote: it should be 35 mm for regular Cinema and 70 mm for Imax). The narrow width of super 8mm is intended for domestic purposes, i.e. projected in a small room or bedroom.

Due to its narrow width therefore, it is roughly only 20 minutes of show spooled in one reel and every 20 minutes we need to change with a new reel. According to WH, a
[my official position] there are normally 2 reel size for home cinema, i.e. 200 ft and 400 ft. 200 ft usually consists of 1 reel while a long version of one film can be spooled on to 400 ft x 3 reels.

In his world of 8mm collecting, WH is not bound by one particular genre, but he is collecting all genres available, such as war, romance, drama, comedy, horror, etc. From entire of his collection, a father of two sons’ most favourite films are “Saturday Night Fever”, “MASH”

-

quote:
and “the Mask”. A story line in “Saturday Night Fever” is an unforgettable memory for him. “The Mask” (ps: should be MASH, writer has misheard me) is also unforgettable for him, because this was his first 8mm film inherited form the parents. “It still can be played to date” while he is showing the film to ME [name of the magazine “Male Emporium”].

Using internet and friendship relations

In collecting the 8mm films, WH always spares his time visiting flea market in [name of a flea market in Jakarta]. It needs a further skill to find a good 8mm film, otherwise, a damage film is purchased.

Beside flea market, a post degree graduate from University of Wollongong in Australia has also a lot of chances to visit flea markets around the world, since his nature of works as a diplomat permits him to go overseas often. Every time during his official overseas trips, he will spare his time to find 8mm films.

He says that between his busy schedules during the overseas trips there should be always the time for sight seeing. One time he was assigned to Singapore. During his free time, he saw a house was being renovated and a bunch of 8mm films was piled in front of the house seemed going to be thrown away. Without any further consideration, he offered to buy the films and by only paying S$40, he brought around 30 films.

“They were too many and too heavy to carry them. So I just left them on the side road looking for a taxi. It took time to get a taxi,

-

quote:
but, when I returned to that place, the films were still there. No one even wanted to touch them.” “I think Singaporeans were just crazy with (their new) VCD/LDs”

When he is in Indonesia, WH is hunting the 8mm films via internet. However, because the postage cost to ship the films to Indonesia is too expensive, therefore, he always uses his friends’ addresses who are being assigned abroad as diplomats and asked to bring the film with them when they are returning home.

However WH, the man with a prescription glasses, is not only collecting 8mm films, which was a big trend in 1970s, but he is also collecting Vinyls. In 19 years of his collecting time, he has now around 1200 LPs. A various genres of LPs are stacked in his room. To get the vinyls, he says that he does not need to go overseas because LPs are abundant in Indonesia. “Although there are quite a lot LPs here, but the price is quite step. For example, this
[name of group]’s LP can reach Rp 700rb for each and this LP of [name of artist] is Rp 400rb each. The rarities are sometime increase the price”

-END-

And know a little bit of "Narcism"..... [Wink] [Razz]

-

Have a look to 2 x Elmo ST1200s in front of me and am holding Star Wars 2 + Slap Shot. Behind is an Open reel Tape Recorder (TEAC 7010 GSL).

At least, a Derann 8mm cover has once appeared in Indonesian magazine....

Happy filming super 8mm mate...

cheers,

[ November 05, 2007, 05:26 AM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Louis Li
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2007 08:13 AM      Profile for Louis Li   Email Louis Li   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
winbert.
i think its pretty hilarious how you came up with your assumption of us s'poreans being crazy over dvd's and such simply by not scavaging through your bag of films on the side of the street. haha.

no doubt majority of s'poreans (and the world to add) have followed the flow of technology but you might be surprise of the amount of cine enthusiast in s'pore. oh, do take into account our mini population as comapred to the world too.

anyhow. nice to see an article like that around.
really good to finally see your face too.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2007 10:50 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Very nice piece! Such fun to see that someone will still give print space to us.
Nice score on the sidewalk films too; good that they were rescued.
LPs AND reel-to-reel; I couldn't agree more... [Smile]

Thanks for posting this,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2007 12:18 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that, Winbert!

Great article, and what a cool picture! That was really smart, the way the projectors and reels are shown in front. And the reel-to-reel tape player in the back is an excellent touch, too. I think I'll have to look for one of those now [Wink] .

Thanks again Winbert.

James.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 02, 2007 12:27 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Magnificent to see your collection in a magazine. I envy your Ben Hur cinevision print!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 02, 2007 12:28 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Magnificent to see your collection in a magazine. I envy your Ben Hur cinevision print! Nice to also see a young man (like me!) collecting Super 8mm instead of all these doddering Old men!

(oooooh, I'm just asking for it, aren't I? I'm A BAAAAAD BOY!)

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 02, 2007 01:12 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert
very interesting article good photos, oh I wouldn't leave anything at the side of the road out here, [Eek!] if its not chained or bolted down things disappear at the blink of an eye. [Wink]

Osi....Whats this.. "doddering old men", tut..tut my son used to think anyone who was in there 20s was old of course he was in his teens then, personally I look at myself as the wise old "owl" that doesn't give a hoot. [Wink]

Graham. [Smile]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 02, 2007 04:47 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Absolutely terrific! And now we can take that picture and use it for a member photo!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2007 06:54 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of reel is on your ST1200 right near your head? I have not seen those before. Are they still made? How much? Any spares for sale?

Great articles by the way. Reminds me of a great steak Well done. Unlike rare (pink) prints.

CG

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 02, 2007 08:04 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Go for it Doug [Big Grin]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 02, 2007 08:46 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip,

From what I have seen, those are somewhat common, I've sold quite a few.

By the way, I have two metal 1200ft. reels being sold on ebay, in just four days.

damn! Really wish I could figure out that linking, I think I'll have to read those posts from those other guys on how to do that!

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 05, 2007 05:04 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis Li:

quote:
but you might be surprise of the amount of cine enthusiast in s'pore.
Louis, do you see super 8mm collectors there, how many?

Claus Harding:

quote:
LPs AND reel-to-reel; I couldn't agree more...
Claus, actually there is another one....train models and I believe some forum members here are also doing this [Wink]

Osi Osgood :

quote:
I envy your Ben Hur cinevision print!

Osi, but my prints have faded..... [Mad]

Douglas Meltzer:

quote:
And now we can take that picture and use it for a member photo!

Ok, Doug, please do so!.... (if it is not too big)

Chip Gelmini:

quote:
What kind of reel is on your ST1200 right near your head?
That's a very common reel. Don't know a brand but..cheap!.

Yeah, the last word I am going to say that hopefully many Indonesians will go to the same interest after this article. The more collectors here is the more films will be circulating.

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2007 11:49 PM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert:

A great profile of you and your film collecting. I am very happy for you that you had such a super article plus a great picture too!!

All The Best!

--Tom

P.S. Also glad to see vinyl still alive and a great Teac reel to reel tape recorder. Very nice!!!

Joshua Vega
Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2007 08:27 PM      Profile for Joshua Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...Behind is an Open reel Tape Recorder (TEAC 7010 GSL)...
I have 2 of them "reel to reel"s One is a wollensak 1958-1960 T1515 tube amplified tape player. One is an AKAI 1970s SOLID STATE 4000DS with lots of features.
Here are some pics.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
(NOTE: I do not own this ad, I found the pic on the web)
 -
 -

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2012 09:03 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!!! Just wow, I'm pretty impressed n wishing so badly I was neighbours with you to have the privilege of coming to your screenings every once in a while [Smile] !!!

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2012 11:49 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow great picture compositions. And you are a young Asian not a old foggy. I'm glad you young guys are carrying the torch for the collectors now. Did you make the lay outs or did the publication? Nice picture of you with your projectors and the STAR WARS digest Long Live the Digest!

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 06, 2012 08:45 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Laksmi,

That article came out in 2007. So Elyas just resurrected an old thread. For those who were joining this forum after that surely not knowing this article.

I am young...and handsome too indeed.... [Big Grin]

Back home super 8mm is not known by anyone but vinyl collectors are growing up now although it is not easy to buy vinyls there. So I sometime arranged a vinyl group buying for the collectors in Indonesia where I purchased the vinyl from Canada to be brought home to Indonesia. The margin I gathered from this group buying can cover my airfare trip. Can you imagine that? [Razz]

Lucky me there is in Toronto a record store with ten thousands LPs collection and they are ALL listed online. Not many record stores like this, mostly they list only well known or easy to sell albums.

I tripled or sometime quadrupled its vinyl price and Indonesians are still buying them. They are crazy with vinyls [Big Grin]

Here is the massive LP list online:

http://www.discoveryrecords.com/LIST.TXT

So that is what I do with my hobbies. The hobby does not cost me but in fact it funds for the other hobby especially super 8mm which is known to be expensive at no excuse. [Wink]

The lay out of the article was made by the publication. The interviewer visited my home and took some pictures.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2012 08:27 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah you are a young handsome dude. Lets see what you look like when you are 63 like the Beatle song?

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 08, 2012 02:56 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's nice stuff, Winbert. Somehow I missed this thread first time around.
[Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC