8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Paul Adsett and Dan Lail inside smallformat 5/2007 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Paul Adsett and Dan Lail inside smallformat 5/2007
Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 03, 2007 04:14 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scan sent..

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2007 04:18 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sob, sob... my copy hasn't even arrived yet.

I'll not only be interested to see all the chaps from here within those hallowed pages but also read that Ken Films article. I can't remember much about it so will be interested to see how it reads and what we came up with.

Currently I'm working on the history of Marketing Films with Andreas Eggeling. He's come up with some fabulous information and I hope to get the whole article finished this week. Also included will be Universal 8 and that made me realize that we never compiled a complete listing of every Universal 8 release on this forum. There are some fairly interesting ones like the 12 part 400ft serial they did in 1977 after supplanting the Castle Films name.

Come on postman, where the 'ell are you! I want my 'smallformat'!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2007 09:59 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope, the postman knocked at your door - meanwhile? [Confused]

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2007 06:49 PM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
John --

Excellent article on Ken Films in the current issue. Looking forward to the Marketing Films and Universal 8 histories -- keep 'em comin'!

For anyone who hasn't checked out smallformat magazine, I highly recommend you do so --

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 10, 2007 11:48 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Clancy,

Though not complete, we did a fairly extensive list of Universal 8 releases here.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2007 12:01 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well another great issue of Small Format arrived in my mail box and was read within hours.

I'll say it again, if you read this forum and buy Super 8, 9.5mm or 16mm film you simply owe it to yourself to subscribe to this magazine. For the cost of one film purchase you can open the door to information and pictures like you have never seen before.

It is also a great way to get to know the 8mm Forum members as they feature prominently, especially in the latest issue. The advertisements are also very informative.

Well done Small Format once again.

David

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2007 03:37 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this might have been the best issue yet! It took me several sessions over a few days to read it all cover to cover. It’s fantastic that we have this magazine, and even better that it seems to be increasingly covering aspects of film collecting and home movie projecting in addition to film making.

The articles about Paul and Dans home cinemas were fascinating, it’s great to see two of our own forum members being featured, and Johns article about the Package Movie industry was as detailed and interesting as ever – this time covering Ken films and the MGM releases. I was also fascinated with the article about the patents registered for developments of super 8 equipment that never quite made it. On top of this of course was the usual plethora of information about recent developments of all things associated with 8 and 16mm films and adverts from suppliers of films and equipment from all over the world.

Anybody who is a member of this forum and / or interested in any aspect of Small Format film Making, package movie collecting and projecting should be subscribing to this publication, it really is worth every penny and a great and painless way of supporting the hobby!

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2007 01:08 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all those nice comments. Unfortunately, the future of smallformat magazine could not be assured so far. This is due to the fact that we only have some few supporting advertisers. My publisher gave me a last chance to improve the financial situation and to look for more subscribers (and advertisers of course) in 2008. So, if you have any interest in smallformat and if you think it is important to have a worldwide publication like this, don't hesitate to subscribe - otherwise it could be too late [Roll Eyes]

A one-year subscription is Euro 69/US $ 79 for six issues and you will get the picture book "CUT - All about splicers" for free if it is your first subscription. A private message with your address will do.

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2007 03:17 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Juergen,

Email sent. Looking forward to the magazine!

Best,

- Rob

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2007 03:31 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rob!

For 2008 my publisher gave me a last chance to improve the financial situation of the magazine. We have round about 3,500 readers so far - more than 2,000 in Europe and 1,500 an USA/Canada. Due to the fact that we only have some few supporting advertisers and the Big Yellow is still missing (even if they benefit most from a publication like smallformat), the publisher still operates in the red. We need about 250 more subscribers and some more advertisers (my translator and proofreader James Grahame and I - we are working on that) to assure the existence of the mag for the next years. I think this must be a solvable problem.

Our magazine first appeared two years ago and has become the largest international publication for fans of Super 8, Single-8, 16mm, 9.5mm and Regular 8. smallformat publishes 6 issues a year filled with articles about the latest film equipment, moviemaking, film technology, and portraits of people who shoot interesting small format films. Every issue also takes a look at the history of film devices and film formats while offering something of interest to collectors.

Issue 5/2007 features the inspiring story of Canadian John Porter, who has shot and exhibited his unique Super 8 films for decades. We take an up-close look at homebuilt theaters belonging to film collector Paul Adsett (USA) and Dan Filol (USA). There’s a test of the new Ektachrome 100D film stock in DS-8, along with a visit to one of the most amazing cinemas in the world – The Tuschinski Palace in Amsterdam (The Netherlands). We round out the issue by revealing film equipment that existed only on in research labs and on paper at the Patent Office.

The world of small format film has become more international in recent years, especially since not everyone lives near others who enjoy this fantastic hobby. A respected technical magazine read by film enthusiasts worldwide is more important than ever. smallformat is that magazine.

A one-year subscription is Euro 69/US $ 79 for six issues and you will get the picture book "CUT - All about splicers" for free if it is your first subscription. As we know that it always takes some days to ship the copies overseas we have a new idea. If you’d like to read smallformat on your computer on the day of appearance, we offer an additional electronic version in Adobe Acrobat (pdf) format. This is for free - if you are a subscriber.

If you are interested, an e-mail with your address will do (lossau@smallformat.de).

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2007 07:26 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Elmo is a better presentation machine for large screen showings....it's brighter...which is a key factor. The eumig's are good for smaller shows ..especially when the machine is not physcially apart from the audience. great sound on both, in my experience.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 13, 2007 10:28 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Juergen,

My deepest symphathy for you current situation.

Have you ever think to ptint and distribute your magazine from third world countries?

This may solve a little of your problem.

For sending the master print can be done via internet from your place to the printing house.

Here, in Indonesia, the printing cost is relatively cheap as well as the international postage.

cheers and good luck!,

--------------------
Winbert

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2007 11:26 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Juergen,

Would it be more of a savings to the publisher
if Small Format subscription was available as
a electronic download via the computer? This
might solve some financial issues to keep the
publication alive?

With time supplementary dv streams of
any related commentary, editorials and home
cinema would be an interesting addition to the
subscription.

Anyway it is only a thought.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2007 11:58 PM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,

as told before in this thread we now add a downloadable pdf to every subsription. So, subscribers are able to to read the newest issue on the day of publishing. It will be also possible just to have a download subscription for US $ 29.95. But I think, most readers want to have a printed magazine. We also habve a lot of readers who are not so familiar with the internet.

Printing in a "third world country" is not a solution. The printing isn't that expensive. Most expensive is the work: The layout, the publishers office, the translation - and for the editor of course. [Wink]

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2007 05:18 AM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit that I always read pdf articles of "smallformat" online which is possible as a subscriber of the german "schmalfilm". In fact, I always prefer a printed version and just decided to subscribe to smallformat, too. Subscription sent to Schiele&Schoen via homepage.

Joerg

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2007 11:50 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uuuh, great! Thanks, Joerg! You are one of the first German subscribers to smallformat!!! [Roll Eyes]

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2007 05:14 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Juergen,

The .pdf is worth trying.
Are the back issues also available
in .pdf format?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Juergen Lossau
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2007 08:08 AM      Profile for Juergen Lossau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,

if there is a wish to have them, we will make that possible.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC