8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » DERANN XMAS OPEN DAY REPORT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DERANN XMAS OPEN DAY REPORT
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 03, 2007 04:51 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DERANN CHRISTMAS OPEN DAY REPORT 2007

Our weekend started in the usual way prior to attending a Cine event and with the traditional Super 8 film show taking place on the Saturday evening here. When attending the Derann open days at Dudley, a fair drive from us, we try to fill the car with other collectors wishing to go thus saving the environment a little and this works very well. The Saturday night film show consisted of me humping the GS1200 onto the projector stand yet again and having already spooled up the first opening 1200ft reel the day before it was all plain sailing from then on. The main feature at the screening was Commando which I had recently re-recorded into stereo making a big improvement when using a digital source to master from. As with all Scwarzenegger flicks our audiences always cheer when he hits the screen or comes out with a unique one liner. This time I had my mobile phone to hand so grabbed a short video clip which will be posted here for all to view. This ended around a 4 hour screening.

Mobile video clip projecting Commando on the GS1200
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFUev5SzXKI

We left home about 6AM to head down for the Open Day on Sunday and wondered what we might see upon arrival. Fortunately the Derann doors were opened a little early so we managed to be the first through the doors at 9:15AM which was great and Ged and the Derann team were busy setting up for eager collectors such as us. Adrian was close at hand and bid us a cheery welcome which was nice then we headed for Ged’s coffee machine which was busy percolating away the finest coffee in Dudley. After a brief word we made our way down to the Super 8 film area and within a few minutes had secured some nice titles on 8mm including the 600ft reel of Capricorn One which I had been after for a bit. Price wise Derann had some extra special offers going for the special open day and so collectors were taking advantage of this and somewhat bagging up ready for those Christmas film shows no doubt.

I put my foot in it a bit mentioning a Forum meet up at 10:15 as the first film programme was due to start shortly after so it was a case of say hello quick at rush into the Cinema upstairs so at not to miss the films. We did have a brief meet and chat and it was good to meet the likes of Keith Ashfield and family once again and Mr Hyde who I met in the Cinema.

Derann presented three programmes of films and these included newsreels, Goldfinger trailer, cartoons, special interest shorts, and most popular of all were the specially recorded Star Wars film reel and the new Derann 600ftr End of Days which sounded and looked very good. End of Days incidentally was a hot favourite for film collectors on the day and Derann had all but sold out by 2PM only having one copy left for sale! It’s good to witness collectors supporting Derann’s efforts and buying films which they bring to us new to enjoy.
 -

The Elmo GS1200 Xenon was operated once again by Bob who did a grand job all day! I took another mobile phone clip of Bob operating the GS in the projection room and this will shortly be posted here.

Bob in the projection box at the Derann Cinema Mobile video clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQxd1QRJ3gY

The day closed around 3PM with us being the last to leave I think, but not before Adrian Simmonds grabbed me to inform us that Terminator 3 will be available on 8mm in 2008. This superb news of a new feature becoming available next year and T3 at that just about topped the day off for our car load and we all look forward to getting our hands on this in 2008. Adrian told us updates would also be posted on the forum as well as the Derann newsletters and Film Collecting magazine I suspect.

What a day to remember and special thanks to all the Derann team for a superb day...

[ December 04, 2007, 06:37 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

|  IP: Logged

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2007 07:11 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A great day, all be it short for us.In the brief time that we were at the Open Day I managed to have very short chats with Adrian, Gary and Lee, prior to the first film show. It is looking very good for the release of T3 in 2008.
There was a good "turn out" and plenty of bargains to be had. I managed to get my long sought after copy of "Once Upon A Mouse" and a Part One reel of "There's No Business like Showbusiness" in Scope and Stereo (stands well on its own, this one).
Unfortunately,we had to reluctantly leave after about an hour, due to having to visit our relatives in the area on our "Christmas Run" (a 200 mile 'round trip' so like Lee, we did our 'bit of conservation for the planet' and 'killed two birds with one stone', so to speak).
A brilliant Open Day as always, looking forward to the next one already on the 27th January 2008.
To all the people I missed at the Open Day, please have a Merry Christmas and a Happy and safe New Year.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2007 07:22 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee,

Excellent report as usual. So it looks like he will be back! Better start saving.

Now we have to work on T4 being released on super 8! [Big Grin]

Graham S

Adrian Simmonds
Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2007 03:59 PM      Profile for Adrian Simmonds   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lee, for the excellent run down.

Once again - as with the Blackpool Exhibition,
I would like to ask the collectors who were there:

'What would you like to see at future Open Days?,
and what could we do to make your visit more enjoyable?'

Also to the 8mm forum guys:
How can we entice you to make the journey to our Open days?

It really is a great day for all of the collectors who can make it.
It is also nice to 'put a name to the face' so to speak.

So come on - let's hear your thoughts
(both good and bad)

Kind regards

Adrian

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 03, 2007 05:19 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pay...... for the air fares [Wink] [Smile]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 03, 2007 09:29 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a non-driving person I can only rarely face making the journey by bus/tube/train/bus from south London, now that I haven't been able to get a lift for some time. It was great in the 1980s when the Widescreen Centre arranged a coach on two occasions. Probably too much to ask nowadays, though.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2007 02:43 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, don't worry about the air fares. How about the Derann Open Day "going on the road"? A "Super 8mm World Tour displaying at all major cities around the world". I'm sure Adrian and the lads would be up for that. I'd volunteer to be a "Roadie" for a few months. [Smile]
OOps, I've just woken up. I seem to have had a strange dream!! [Confused]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 04, 2007 04:29 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian.
What would be nice for the Christmas Open Day is for a tea time meal at a local restaurant or decent pub around 4:30PM, due to many travelling home a distance later on it would be a good time.

I always used to enjoy the part of the open days when a collector was invited to show a pre arranged reel of films from collections they have. This was usually around 400ft and sorted in advance, and it was nice to see what many came up with. Who remembers the glamour film chaps reel?

Perhaps we could start some sort of transport link system on the forum to help those who are unable to get to the open days make it.

On a technical note. Can I suggest you check the front speakers in the Cinema as I think you may have a tweeter blown. Just a little suggestion mate to keep the presentation as professional as possible.

Best
Lee.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 04, 2007 12:31 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith
Sounds like a great idea, a Super8 on the road world tour, [Smile] all they need is the screenmachine from Craig Hamilton's topic "This Is Nice", and just fill it with lots of Super8 goodies.

Graham. [Smile]

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2007 01:16 PM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No excuses, I'm only 90 minutes away. I really am going to have to go to the next open day. Question is - what does one do with the bored wife who's tagged along for the ride?

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 04, 2007 03:09 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And for the "Pacific" part of the Derann world tour, how about this for a means of transport.
 -
[Smile]

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2007 03:09 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,just make sure that she's comfy in the car and don't take too long..Ha Ha Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Michael Hyde
Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2007 07:44 AM      Profile for Michael Hyde   Email Michael Hyde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee,It was a great day out at the open day i agree,nice to see that scope screen in full swing again great show,and ourchat although brief prior to the show. Got reminising with Adrian Simmonds too,on previous open days,remembering when Derek used to hold his Premier evenings on the Saturday nights prior to open days,to give us collectors an insight into their next feature release,Halloween,Little Mermaid etc, always packed out these sat nites,people booking into local B&B`s later,Infamous auctions, both 16 & 8mm, and Dereks famous Lucky Dips,wrapped up in Xmas paper not knowing what you were bidding on till you got it,Some lucky bidders getting test prints (perfect) of their new feature release for around £40 ,them was the good ole days and very atmospheric. Mike

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC