8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo 800 R.I.P

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo 800 R.I.P
Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2007 05:00 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I type with a tear in my eye today. Last night after a couple of hours watching a few digests I thought it would be a good idea to let the Sankyo cool down properly before packing it away in to its box. Getting slightly distracted on the pc and after sending out a few emails it was around 1:45am so time for bed.

I picked up half a dozen digests which are in clamshell cases and turned around only to find the top two digests sliding of the pile and heading for the floor, as quick as a flash I miraculously managed to catch the film before it hit the floor. Thats the good news.

The bad news is that during my acrobatics my foot hit the projector stand and just like Humpty Dumpty the Sankyo hit the floor with a bang. Wife came running down the stairs, took one look at the pile of shattered projector pieces, looked at me and charged back upstairs twice as fast.

To say the Sankyo now has a problem is an understatement, it was destroyed. If anyone wants a nice Sankyo jigsaw in 230 pieces please let me know. If anyone has a reasonably priced 800 for sale, please also let me know. [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2007 05:13 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craig

What a tragic story, I imagine the family are all in mourning and black armbands will be the order of the week.

Whilst I hate to pick over corpse of a recently deceased loved one, it is worth remembering that the Sankyo 800 has many useful parts on it; the same sound head I believe as the GS 1200 and the motor too I think is shared with it’s illustrious cousin.

So if you do have to give it a decent funeral, remember to check see if it was carrying a donor card…

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2007 05:33 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a really positive thought, Mike.

Every cloud has a silver lining!

Hopefully Craig will be able to eventually perform the transplants you suggest.

Craig, our thoughts are with you at this time!

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 05, 2007 05:43 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats absolutely right Craig. Keep all the parts in a box as they will be useful in time to come.

Those ICs on the circuit board are now obsolete and yes the heads and motor will fit a GS1200. In fact the heads will fit any of the Elmo Twin track machines and may others too.

I know Andy Wilson was looking for a gate for his machine so your deceased 800 could still be worth some money in hard to find spares.

Is it really that bad though? Surely most of it is cosmetic?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2007 06:17 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your kind words chaps. Kev 10 years ago we fitted solid wood flooring in the lounge and it is not forgiving when heavy things hit it. The main circuit board is split in three sections, the chassis has snapped and the lens was found some 15 feet away.

I will don my nurses uniform tonight and systematically strip all salvageable parts and keep them safe for spares.

It was on Mike's recommendations that I bought a 800 model and it has always been a joy to use, very user friendly, quiet and a good sound output. It will be missed. I have checked Independent 8 & Paul Fosters websites but neither of them have a 800 for sale.

Craig

--------------------

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2007 07:44 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-Craig,

Sorry to hear about the demise of your prized Sankyo 800,I once wrote off a Eumig Projector many years ago doing the same thing,its very easily done isnt it.

I hope you manage to pick up a replacement asap.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 06, 2007 10:37 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Craig why not post a pic of the "putting the bits in a box" ceremony [Big Grin]
I must admit that I am curious as to what it looked like after it's demise.

K.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2007 05:16 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Craig,i see that Derann has one for sale but not cheap at £299.99,not sure if they are still offering the interest free deal but it might ease the pain Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2007 06:06 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark, I did spot that advert, but it states that it is noisy.

Craig

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 08, 2007 09:43 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
But you now have all the spares you need to quieten it down [Wink]

Kev.

--------------------

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2007 09:54 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And you could always dunk the spares in a bucket of oil first!!!

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2007 12:16 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They want £299 I have seen mint machines go for a lot less. [Wink]

Craig

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 08, 2007 01:58 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craig,
Now's a good time to use your Pathe Baby!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2007 03:50 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only just read this thread Craig so I'm a bit late. It's very depressing and I can't imagine how you must feel.

But... it seems to me that most of the machine will be salvageable and just like classic cars, two clunkers generally make a good one. So get a second knackered machine cheap as chips and see what can be done. One is bound to come up eventually. In the meantime keep your eyes open for a replacement anyway as all of us should probably keep at least a couple of serviceable projectors if we want to keep showing Super 8 package movies long into the future.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2008 12:37 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The power of the forum strikes again! thanks to fellow member Mark Mander, I now have a replacement 800 stereo as of today. Mark kindly emailed me a contact that he knew and the rest as they say is history. The projector is in fantastic condition and runs like a Rolex watch. The kids have already chosen their Tom & Jerry cartoons for tonights little cine feast. [Big Grin]

Thanks Mark [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Craig

--------------------

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2008 12:50 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great that you are "up and running again" Craig. Just in time for the "Ealing Spendfest" next weekend. regards, Keith

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 17, 2008 08:32 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CRAIG!!!!!

[Eek!] Do you still have the surviving spare parts from your destroyed 800? Would the MOTOR happen to be among those? And possibly the little control board which handles the motor power and all the sound connections, too?

IF SO, I WANT THEM!!! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2008 07:16 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan I have kept most of the broken parts as spares, the main & small control boards however were destroyed when it smashed.

Craig

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 18, 2008 11:07 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the motor, what about that one Craig?

--------------------

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2008 01:44 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Craig,Glad that you got the machine in the end,i told you it was nice just make sure you use some bungee cords to tie it to your stand this time.....Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 18, 2008 11:48 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The motor.... I want that motor..... [Eek!]

--------------------

Tom A. Pennock
Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2008 11:59 AM      Profile for Tom A. Pennock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great to read good news that thing's worked out.
Best, Tom

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2008 09:59 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, sorry but I will be keeping the old motor as a spare. I intend to keep this new 800 for a long time yet.

Craig

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 21, 2008 08:21 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw. [Frown]

--------------------

Alessandro Pavoni
Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2012 08:17 AM      Profile for Alessandro Pavoni   Email Alessandro Pavoni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Help, I need a spare part for my sankyo 800, I missing the track selector switch, page 6 for the use manual.
thanks for your cooperation.

Craig I sent you a PM.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC