8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » MGM also printed on Agfa

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MGM also printed on Agfa
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 07, 2007 05:19 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just found that MGM label printed its Tom & Jerry on AGFA stock. This why my TJ has still glorius colour.

Any of you find other than TJ printed on AGFA stock by MGM? what title is that?

thanks,

[ September 02, 2010, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 07, 2007 10:36 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert ...

I have a number of AGFA Tom and Jerry's, but sadly, I do not have the original boxes still, so I'd have no idea as to whether these were Ken films or Waltons.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 07, 2007 12:07 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Walton Tom & Jerrys on Kodak SP, Fuji and Agfa stocks.

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 10, 2007 12:23 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice,

Yes I do know that Walton (a UK Company) printed TJ on AGFA, Kodak SP and Fuji. But for me, it is a surprise that MGM (a US Company) also printed on AGFA as I never seen before.

I do have a feeling that during the 8mm heydey there was somekind of "instruction" (undercovered by domestic incentives) to use only local products when releasing their films.

(ps: in my case, it might also someone has swept the box and the reel, unless someone here can confirm that MGM also printed other titles on AGFA)

[ September 02, 2010, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 11, 2007 07:26 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert: Your topic triggers a good question. I have a really superb (ie - vivid colours) Ken 2 parter of "The Empire Strikes Back". I looked on the side of the film but I can't find any mention of the stock. There's the "Dec. 23, 1982" date printed on the leader, though.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 11, 2007 03:07 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting to know that Ken printed anything as late as Dec 1982, right into the bleak period before the Super 8 revival, and considerably later than their final new releases.

Winbert - is your AGFA T&J a one off, or do you have more than one in Ken Boxes? I wondered if it could conceivably be something like a Derann release of the same title, transferred to a Ken box because it's a nicer box? I have some Ken films that still have good colour but the ones I've checked have been Kodak SP.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 12, 2007 05:28 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have a really superb (ie - vivid colours) Ken 2 parter
JM,

I believe your films are the same case with my 2 Elvis (not labelled as released by Ken and in clamshell case, not cardboard): "Roustablout" & "Hawaiian Paradise".

The two films are on Eastman but perhaps LPP. I raised this topic before.

quote:
Winbert - is your AGFA T&J a one off, or do you have more than one in Ken Boxes?
Adrian, I have only 1 in MGM box so perhaps it could be someone has transferred to a Ken box because as you mentioned.

Unless someone can say here that he has also Ken with AGFA stock.

cheers,

[ September 02, 2010, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 03, 2008 11:18 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just screened the 2 parter of Empire Strikes Back and get this! The first part has faded to a light pink..not completely but not that great looking either. The second reel is PERFECT and looks like LPP. I wonder why they had both parts printed on separate film stock?

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2008 05:00 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both extracts were released about a year apart. There are far more prints of part 1 about than part 2 so it sounds like your print is made up of reels printed at different times (as most copies are).

I thought reel 2 was rubbish. At the time of reel 1's release I was told Ken were to be releasing 3x400ft reels but owing to the downturn in Super 8 sales generally decided against putting three extracts out and so compacted parts 2 and 3 into a single reel. For me, it shows!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC