8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Recording with the GS1200

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Recording with the GS1200
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 12, 2007 02:16 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a couple of photos taken last week when I working on another problem, the speed control, it was also a good time to make the effort to change the capacitor the one Kev has mentioned in the past. What promted me was reading his excellent article in a previous FFTC Issue No 62, the problem I had was obtaining one, as none were available out here with the required high voltage, thankfully Kev helped out here as well, in the past, a few years ago I spent considerable time trying to record with the GS1200 and in the end gave up, the sound going in was always good but on playback the level was low and the quality poor, at the time I put it down to the stripe, well after changing the capacitor I thought I would put it to the test, taking a source straight from DVD and with a mix of different sound levels from musicals to just dialogue the results in every case was amazing, the sound quality was perfect in every way, what I put in was exactly what I got out, which wasen't the case a few years ago, in fact I went over the recordings a number of times, it was hard to believe what was coming out of the narrow balance stripe, and it really does prove how good the recording side of GS1200 can be, I have since re-recorded one film and have plans to do a few more Refections UK is one, I will make up a new sountrack and transfer it. well if you own a GS1200 and intend to use it for recording then the replacement of this particular capacitor is a must, once again thanks to Kev for all his help.
 -
The projector was apart with other problems, only the cover on the recording controls needs to be removed.
 -
You can just see it, the new capacitor "the large one" is at the top of the circuit board above the right channel recording switch, I haven't checked but I think there are better photos on the forum somewhere [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2007 04:01 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,I had the same problem with my GS and after it was changed very kindly by Kevin it made a huge difference to the recordings.I have just recently purchased my second GS and is a later model and the capacitor has been done on this machine as well,this machine is superb on both grey and brown coloured stripe a joy to use Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2007 04:30 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Makes a huge difference. Unfortunately the articel was not available when i did mine so I made hard work of it and did it on the other side of the board [Frown]

I see there is another GS1200 on ebay UK £799 Mint

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC