8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Dual 8mm projector question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dual 8mm projector question
John Saunders
Film Handler

- posted December 15, 2007 06:28 PM      Profile for John Saunders   Email John Saunders   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I am currently looking for a projector for both standard and super 8mm with sound.
I was sort of leaning toward the Chinon models (7500, 7800, etc.) and i'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these?
They supposedly have a bright bulb, and 600ft reel capacity.
I need something that can handle silent standard 8mm films and
sound super 8mm films.
Are these (Chinon) projectors a good buy for what I need?

Thanks,
John

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 15, 2007 07:00 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI I thought those models were just super 8 but I may be wrong.
Bauer do a few sound dual gauge machines with the 150 watt lamp but usually no front sprocket, jut a flicky plastic thing above the gate, ok if you filmgaurd your films.
I belive many dual Eumigs are getting to the point where best avoided but a few are ok.Many have real drive problems, also a very thin round single claw eats in to the sprocket holes.
The bauers are very nice and quiet and usually reliable by the way, may be worth a look.
Best Mark.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2007 09:36 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a lover of dual gauge machines.

Far better to have a projector for each gauge - and it needn't cost the earth.

My only dual gauge machine is a Eumig S 810 D, but it is in mint condition. Even so, I always use a dedicated machine whenever possible. The Eumigs do have interchangeable gates and sprockets - which essential if you don't want to incur damage to your films, but they don't have an interchangeable claw.

I've not experienced any trouble with the Eumig, but then again, I FilmGuard all my films. Nevertheless, I'm always just that bit nervous when using it.

As with all machinery, even when new, proper maintenance is the key. Any drive problem can usually be sorted with judicious maintenance.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Best,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2007 09:38 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the CHINON 7500 I have is a super 8 only machine. Sometimes the super 8/ single 8 descriptive term is misunderstood to mean dual gauges.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2007 07:21 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

As I agonize(!)over which of the many regular 8mm projectors to choose from based on your advice, and those of others on this forum, I am trying to revive by Eumig 810 D which I have had for almost 34 years. The only problem is the dreaded one to which you refer concerning the drives. I cannot get it to run at a consistent speed anymore -- has been that way for a few years. It is OK for silent films, but even then occasionally it slows down enough to notice. I have cleaned the rubber discs and tried roughing them up a bit, and while a little better, still not nearly perfect. Sounds like you may have some experience. Any additional advice?

Thanks

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2007 08:21 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony,

My suggestion would be a thorough cleaning of all the gears and bearings. Quite often the grease becomes hard and tends to co-agulate and slow the motor up.

A good solvent cleaner should do the trick - something like an electrical contact cleaner in an aerosol - but a cleaner only. Some electrical contact cleaners are combined with a lubricant, but you don't want that.

Spray all moving parts, gears and bearings fairly liberally - this type of cleaner won't damage the nylon gears, as it evaporates almost immediately, but has a good flushing effect. Don't forget the motor bearings themselves.

Next, re-oil all bearings and metal-to-metal moving parts with a very fine machine or projector oil. Sewing machine oil or Wahl hair clipper oil works very well.

Finally, grease all gears, including metal ones, using a nylon compatible grease. Silicone grease works well, but again, make sure it is a very light grease.

Check the motor spring tension which holds the drive against the rubber-faced discs - in both forwards and reverse, for both speeds. You may need to tension the spring if there is drive slippage here.

You should be operational again in no time!

Good luck, & Happy Christmas,

--------------------
Dave.

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2007 09:24 AM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Dave.

I have played around with the piece that holds the motor against the drives. It is visible when you remove the lower front cover and operation switch. I didn't actually remove the tension spring but adjusted the piece that pushes the motor one way or the other. I've adjusted it so it pushes it more for forward than reverse. Helped a little, but now rewind is slower -- which is OK I guess. Regarding your other suggestions, I'll give it a go over the next week between holiday celebrations.

Merry Christmas!

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2007 02:08 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful, Tony. The adjustment you made could wear the reverse mode rubber faced disk if it is now causing excessive slippage. - Just a word of caution.

--------------------
Dave.

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2008 07:23 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I had a chance to do what David suggested, and the machine is running fairly well, but just not at 24 fps. I really only use this for silent regular 8mm film anyway, but I thought it would be great to fully restore it to its original glory. No such luck. Once that groove for 24 fps is made on the rubber after years and years of use, there isn't much that can be done, I guess. Too bad, since some regular 8mm sound prints seem to go for peanuts on eBay these days.

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2008 08:53 PM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chinons IMHO are POOP! I had two and neither would run very consistantly. Get a 700,800,900 series Eumig instead. Dual gague sound and best of all removable gates for easy cleaning and modification.
Cheers,

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

Eric Baucher
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2008 06:27 PM      Profile for Eric Baucher   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Baucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second what james said, aviod Chinon at all costs! they were for the home movie crowd, not for film collectors. Many of their projectors have plastic gates and thats never good.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC