8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » I Hate my GS1200 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: I Hate my GS1200
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2007 04:22 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I am totally over my GS1200. It's Xmas eve I had a film show planned for tomorrow and the whole lamp casing just gave out. I thought the bulb had just died but when I opened it up the metal piece that has a spring attached to apply pressure to the connector pin on the bulb has broken off and needs to be replaced. It's been one thing after another and I think I'm done. Besides the new bulb problem, the switch that releases the top threader was giving out and would not release anymore and there's annoying popping in the sound again. Two things that had been "repaired" less than a year ago. I am definetly looking for another stereo 1200 projector and this one will be put away in the closet. Any suggestions on which projector I should go with? There has to be one that's more reliabe than this!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 24, 2007 04:43 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brian, I`d settle for 800 feet capacity and go for a bauer 510 or 610 in little used order, usually very relaible.
Best Mark.
PS sorry about the GS.
There are new 510`s quite cheap from canada at the moment just out of interest.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2007 04:53 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip. I will look into that Bauer projector. Do you have any contact info on where I can order one (Canada or wherever)?

The only problem is I have a number of 1200 reels... I guess I could cut them down to 800's. That would be less frustrating than dealing with this GS1200 piece of junk (can you tell I'm a little angry right now?). I just can't believe the bad luck I've had with this machine. I've spent $600 dollars on repairs this year alone and it still doesn't work.

One more question: Is there an Elmo Repair genius somewhere in California? If so, please post his information. I am losing faith in everyone I have used on the East Coast.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 24, 2007 05:24 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brian sounds like you`ve put enough cash that way already, I can`t do links here for some reason, but if your email is Up I`ll try to find the canada ebay sale and send it to you. Very nice whisper quiet machines.
Best Mark.
Just found it they ahve free shipping to the US at the moment 477 canadian dollars.
Did you get the email OK brian and you can get an excellent xenovaron for these fairly cheap as well 1,1 11-30mm but the 1,2 usually standard is superb anyway.
Good luck if you decide to give it a whirl.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 24, 2007 05:58 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Brian,
I am sure we all feel your pain!
I believe that these projectors are like cars. I think you have a lemon on your hands! I have had a number of GS projectors and only of them use to give me grief. All the other ones have been great. Your best bet would be to send it to Kev! Well..it would be good but expen$$$ive!
You may want to keep on the lookout for a GS with very little mileage OR you can see if you can find a nice Beaulieu 708EL Stereo. The sound is not as nice through the internal speakers but I hear the sound from the line outs is pretty good. And the picture, steadiness, and robust motor and quiet running of one in good order is pretty nice. They have an adjustable 2/3 blade shutter and when set on the 2 blade the light is brighter than the standard GS1200 and closer to the Xenon..minus the blue Xenon light of course.
Or you can try to get John to sell you the Fumeo 9145 Xenon that his grandfather has? [Smile]
Good luck and sorry to hear about the projector woes!

Here is your Bauer T510 link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BAUER-T510-MICROCOMPUTER-STEREO-SUPER-8-PROJECTOR-NEW_W0QQitemZ320198121299QQihZ011QQcategoryZ15255QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2007 05:59 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brian,Here is the link Mark was refering to-
http://cgi.ebay.ca/BAUER-T510-MICROCOMPUTER-STEREO-SUPER-8-PROJECTOR-NEW_W0QQitemZ320198121299QQihZ011QQcategoryZ15255QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Best of luck and Merry Christmas

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 24, 2007 06:12 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We`re all at it, I sent Brian an email ebay link and you both did it here at about the same time.
Whats 477 canadian in US by the way, sounds like a really good option to me, new sort of thing super 8 machine in 2007, imagine if factory new and made now it would probably be $2000 at least if not much more.
Bes Mark.
PS I meant to say the Bauers are very very kind to film and no areas like the GS that wear quickly. I knew a chap ran one for 10 years most nights and most of his films went through very often, I bought some and all top order. When I`ve had the machines too never cause marks if all is well.With the 1,1 they are very well good enough in the home.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2007 07:02 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all your posts... I am trying not to let my projector woes ruin Xmas. My dogs are looking at me sadly right now cause they know how upset/mad I am... I have to turn this around.

Anyway, the Bauer looks cool but I am hesitant for two reasons... does it do variable speed? I think that's essential for recording which I do a lot of. Also, the output jacks look problematic. I think I need them to be RCA's rather than that funky euro jack.

As for my GS, yes I would LOVE to send it to Kev but I think it would be cheaper to fly him in! I will probably just send it to Leon Norris again. I love Leon, but for some reason all his fixes are only lasting a few months. Oh well, I guess it's just a "lemon" and I have to live with it. But when it really starts taking the joy out of this great hobby I think it's time to get rid of it...

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 24, 2007 09:34 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brian,

By any chance have you talked to these people?

http://www.eltekrepair.com/contact_info.htm

-I honestly don't know much about them (...him?), but at least they/him are/is local.

Maybe at the end of the day what you really have is a parts machine which is looking for a better condition machine to keep supplied with spares.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2007 02:42 AM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, did you ever think of a Chinon SS1200? 1200 ft reels, 150W lamp, variable speed and good re-recording capability. Also kind to film and very reliable if yo get one in good condition, a real "working horse".

Joerg

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 25, 2007 09:16 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brian, sorry to hear of your problems with the GS. I would say that if Leon can't fix it then it's probably past the point of no return. Besides the projector recommendations already been given, may I suggest a Eumig 938 Stereo, which is a joy to use for re-recording - superb sound quality as well.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2007 10:18 AM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul - I would love to find a Eumig 938. I've been thinking of owning one ever since I saw yours in the "Armchair Odeons" DVD! But it seems that they don't turn up that often. If anyone knows of one for sale please send me the info.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 25, 2007 07:53 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love an all paid for trip to the US especially as i have never been over there and want to do so in the near future.

Brian this is such a sad story. I have had GS1200's which have been on their last legs and bought them back up to A1 condition so I know that there is no way that this GS needs be given up on.

First I would replace both microswitches that are involved with the autothread system. The one next to the autothread release solenoid and the one at the rear as the film emerges from the film guide to the take up reel.

That will cure those problems.

Get the lamp socket replaced and that should sort the lamp problems and then finally have the record/play switches cleaned with a suitable cleaner/lube. If the popping still continues then the STK439 output IC is faulty. This is common on the GS and is caused by the legs on that IC becoming loose where they exit the IC's body.
This was not an Elmo problem but down to the design of the Sanyo IC which Elmo would have had little control over.

The above should cure all the problems on your machine. Anyone repairing GS1200's will know of these problems and should have been able to sort them for you. Early STK439 output IC's had straight legs but later IC's had curved legs to allow for movement which you do get when the machines are moved and vibrated about etc. I think a change of the sound out put IC is now the most probable cause of your popping noises.

Just wish I was closer to you then you wouldnt have to be looking around for a new machine.

I still claim that there is no reason to to have to bin any GS as most probs can be sorted.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2007 09:24 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev - Thanks for your encouraging words. Yes, I am planning on having my GS1200 fixed again. I haven't totally given up on it... I just can't believe the bad luck I've had recently. Oh well, and if it breaks again I am definitely sending you a plane ticket!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 26, 2007 05:49 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Lets hope you get it sorted but just in case I'm going to get my bags packed ready for the off [Big Grin]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2007 07:06 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian...I know everyone is suggesting replacement machines. I don't think anyone has yet suggested at least backing up your hopefully repaired GS with a ST1200HD. You can get stereo out of the monitor jacks, if running through an amp...you still have 1200 foot capacity...and these machines are built much more simply and ruggedly than the finicky GS's. Also, they can be had on ebay for a lot less money. I've still got the one I bought new in 1974 or so..and it's still running. Belts have been the only replaced parts. Yes, the wattage on the bulb is a bit less, but with an f1.1 or 1.0 lens and good bulbs, the picture is quite acceptable. And reliable.....that's the word for the St1200's. Reliable..and a lot easier to fix. You can get three of these used for the cost of one GS on ebay. And chances are they will be operational, save for maybe belts.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 26, 2007 05:08 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brian
I dont want to spoil Kevs trip to the US [Wink] to fix your projector, bit here is a simple fix you can do yourself, I carried it out before I joined the forum and it still works.
 -
The general layout, notice the solenoid in the centre of the picture, well this is what you do.
 -
You simply wrap an electrical tie-wrap around the solenoid holding the mechanical release in, and thats it, no more threading problems its now manual, all you do is hold the threading button down until the film passes the bottom sprocket, the cost a few cents time about 15 minutes and thats it fixed for life, its not the proper fix but it works.

Regarding the lamp holder that should be straight forward, if you cant get the original part then a alternative should do, there are plenty of different lamp holders around that would do the job, the one in the following photo is for an external power supply that I use to give you an idea.
 -
Brian give it a go, darn sight cheaper than flying Kev across the "Atlantic" sorry Kev. [Wink]

Graham. [Smile]

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 27, 2007 04:51 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
But they are the easy probs to sort. What about his sound prob? he still needs that sorted [Wink]

Kev.

--------------------

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2007 07:27 AM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham - Thanks for the detailed advice with the photos... but I have already packed up my GS and UPS is picking it up today and bringing it back to Leon Norris to give it another overhaul. Leon and I had a chat last night and, yes, the sound is the big problem. Since he fixed it less than a year ago he's afraid the whole sound board is deteriorating and could cost $600 just to replace that one part. He won't know until he gets it open and looks inside. I'm hoping that's not the case because if it costs over $800 to fix it I think I'm going to pass and look for another machine. I'll post his findings when I hear back from him.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 27, 2007 09:21 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blimey Brian are you sure you don`t fancy that bauer or a nice HD etc.
Best Mark.
PS Kev did you get my email.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 27, 2007 05:15 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brian
Hopefully you will get it fixed without to much expense, was thinking [Roll Eyes] about your "popping" noise through your speakers, does this happen when you use the main switch on or off, and does this happen with other electrical appliance's nearby, the reason I ask is that I get it as well but not to the point of real concern, I use an external amplifier connected to the projectors "Aux Out" well my thinking is, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, is that from the playback head, sound is amplified in the pre-amp, and from there it goes to the main amp "power amp" and onto the speakers. now [Roll Eyes] any problems with the "main amp" popping etc will come across in both internal and external speakers, also the "moni socket" as well, as all this stuff is being fed from the "main amp", however if you use the projectors "Aux Out" socket you are by-passing the main-amp, and because you are feeding your external amplifier from the projectors "pre-amp" only, the sound should be OK, well thats my theory, [Eek!] anyway hope it all works out fine I have three GS1200 and from time to time they can play up but in general they are a good projector, all the best.

Graham. [Smile]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 28, 2007 02:12 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it’s any consolation Brian it’s not just the GS that goes wrong although malfunctions can often feel as though certain machines are prone to it. We are touring the UK at present filming Pantomimes and we often see the latest sound desks playing up, £30,000 video projection set-ups up the spout so it’s not all Elmo problems. I am keeping my fingers crossed the HD camera keeps going…

Best wishes
Lee.

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2007 04:52 AM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI everyone,
I also had a GS1200. But from the beginning, I have had some problems with it.
First there was a speed problem. Then the recording problem. Then a problem of scratching film. My last utilisation was because I've scratch a whole full feature film with a great green line at the center of the picture. This was done after the window projection.
Now, I'm using the ST1200HD with 150w, and 1200ft reels. I think it's a beter machine for recording, projection etc...
I understand you, Brian.
Jean-Christophe.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2007 05:30 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had terrible problems with one of my GS1200's in the past but now it's the best machine I've ever had.

Yes, it's the HTI converted machine and Bill Parsons had it for six months whilst he repaired everything that was wrong with it and tracked down all the parts to bring it back to life. It had the Gemini lamp before (a conversion that was made generally available in the 80's by the Widescreen Centre) and I didn't really want to have it returned as a bog standard 200w machine - although that would have been a pretty instant fix, not to mention much cheaper.

It had some other problems besides the power supply for the Gemini lamp dying but Bill put all these right and now it's functioned for over two years without any necessity for maintenance. And my machines tend to work rather hard.

In my opinion the only alternative to the GS1200 is the ST1200. These really are workhorses. But I've come across plenty of them that are knackered beyond comprehension and require major surgery to get them back to full functionality. There are better machines out there such as the Fumeo line of models and other projectors have the odd facility which is possibly better than a GS1200. But nothing comes with all the GS1200 functionality and as generally available as the GS. Therefore the GS1200 stands the best chance of being maintained longest into the future. Parts are being remanufactured for them too so that tells you what is happening.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 28, 2007 01:05 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
As I said earlier it is most probably down to the sound output IC. This certainly does NOT mean that the main circuit board needs replacing. I have never ever seen a problem where this board needs to be replaced and I have had a few which have had major burn ups take place.
I did have one thought though Brian and that is that the GS std machine does suffer from picking up mains borne interference such as that caused by central heating thermostats etc. The IC problem tends to be more like loud scratching noises until it dies completely.

There is a cure for the mains borne interference which Elmo carried out on the xenon version of these machines but never on the std versions. Now that we have the winter months these mains borne interference problems become more noticeable.

Just a thought...

Kev

[ December 28, 2007, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Kevin Faulkner ]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC