8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Projector Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projector Question
Jeremy Day
Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2007 07:49 AM      Profile for Jeremy Day   Email Jeremy Day   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello All,

I just attempted to register here, at the suggestion of some of the forum members from Filmshooting. After going through the process, I found I had an account already. [Smile] Guess I forgot.

I've been checking into upgrading my current projector with a sound projector, so I can watch some sound films at home.

After doing some research, I've decided I like the Bauer T 600 or the Eumig S 938/940. I'm leaning towards the 938 but . . . . I have no doubt that you, as a forum, have discussed the merits of both. I have a few questions.

I live in the USA. As I have read the Eumig (perhaps the Bauer too) is difficult to find in the States . . . what would be the problems of purchasing either of these projectors from somewhere in Europe for use in the USA? Cost of conversion?

Any particular advantage one has over the other? I will be selling my Chinon 4000GL (to help fund my purchase). I think the the 938 is variable speed. What about the Bauer?

Are there any other factors I might consider in my decision. Thanks everyone. I'll be patient with replies. Seems the boards have slowed down over the Holidays. Thanks. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2007 07:59 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Jeremy. The best thing to use is the search facility on the Forum. Just enter Eumig or Bauer and it will bring forth a plethora of info from past threads/topics. Enjoy and have a Happy New Year.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 30, 2007 08:47 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Jeremy!
I dont know about the Eumig Situation but I know if you are looking for a Bauer you should stay with the Bauer T610 or T510. The Bauer T600 I use to have and you may be able to dial the right voltage with it using the voltage selector switch, but the motor stays at the European 50HZ. Meaning the projector will run fast no matter what you do!
Good luck! You should also throw in an Elmo ST1200HD to that mix as well. Very solid machine with great light.
Best of luck to you.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 30, 2007 09:29 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jeremy,
The Eumig 938 stereo is designed as a multi voltage/frequency machine. If you get a machine from Europe you will have to do two things:

1. Change the voltage tap on the transformer from the 230 v terminal to the 117 volt terminal.

2. Refit the drive belt to a different pulley.

I got my machine from Canada, for some reason there seems to be more of them there.

Here is my test report on the 938 stereo:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001710

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 30, 2007 11:36 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to have you on the Forum, Jeremy!

I have the 940, and both the T510 and the T610. They are all fine machines. I do have a preference for the Bauers, because I feel they're just a bit sturdier (less plastic). Here are two eBay links:
Bauer 600
Bauer 510

Best of luck!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jeremy Day
Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2007 01:02 PM      Profile for Jeremy Day   Email Jeremy Day   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the warning Alan. It's a shame. That Bauer T600 link given by Douglas is very tempting. Thanks to everyone for all of the information.

Bob Pucci
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2007 02:14 PM      Profile for Bob Pucci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyne know where to get a Bauer operator's manual in english?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 30, 2007 05:03 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy,

That 600 I gave you the link for does say "50hz" in the description. Never mind!

Doug

--------------------

Andy Oliver
Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2007 10:36 AM      Profile for Andy Oliver   Email Andy Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, i can highly recommend the bauer T510 as pointed out by Douglas, here's the current ebay link, oohhhh, think your tooo late, here is the seller, http://myworld.ebay.com/camerashow.com/ keep an eye on his auction or email him if you are interested. I'm not sure how many of those t510 he's got left. I can vouch they are brand new, in in perfect working condition.... And yes i have purchased a couple from him...

Jeremy Day
Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2007 11:44 AM      Profile for Jeremy Day   Email Jeremy Day   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I purchased this projector. I wanted the Eumig but . . . new old stock was too tempting and the Bauer seems to be appreciated in the film viewing community. Thanks for your help everyone.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 31, 2007 11:47 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy,

Congratulations on your new Bauer! It's a beauty.

Doug

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC