8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Disney shorts got lucky on LPP stock?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Disney shorts got lucky on LPP stock?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 01, 2008 03:24 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi you all,

I got 2 copies of Disney shorts (Rescuers & Fox of the Hound) printed on LPP. It was really nice to have seen them on screem.

Any idea what other titles were lucky enough to be printed on this stock befoire 8mm waws down in 1980s?

Do you think those Disney compilations (Donald Ducks Dillema, MIckey Memorable moments, Goffy Godlen Gags, Mickey and his Pals, etc) are also available on LPP stock?

I love AGFA, I love Fuji, but when seeing these Disneys on LPP they were just look nicer!

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 03, 2008 02:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I have observed, the Disney releases from the 70's through the early 80's (in america) were primarily made on the bad to poor eastman stock.

The U.K. releases of the same titles, (which were either done by Buck film labs or Rank), were reprinted on a variety of great film stocks. My prints of nearly all the 400ft. digests (disney) are either on very good Fuji stock or are L.P.P. prints, and the colors are as vibrant as the day released. In fact, I have mint color Disney shorts from the late 70's (american), and copies on good stock from the same period from the U.K., and the color was better on the U.K. releases to begin with.

With very few exeptions, I do believe the U.K. film labs have always had better quality control than the american film labs, and that quality control continues to this day.

It's the same story with the Picolo Disney releases. thy tend to hve a much better stock as well as (it appears) negatives.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2008 11:33 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

I have the following on LPP:
Jolly Holiday - Mary Poppins
Whistle While You Work - S. White
Cinderella's Surprise Dress
Bambi Falls in Love
Dwarfs Dilemma
Sorcerers Apprentice
Old Mill
Ugly Duckling
Peter Pan and Captain Hook
Duel of the Wizards - Sword in the Stone
An Evening with the Lady and the Tramp.
Jungle Book- I wanna be like you

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2008 03:09 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, Winbert, please enlighten! I've stopped collecting Disney shorts because I've yet to find one from the USA that's not fading, and my collection has enough of them anyway. An occasional U.K. Buck labs print made on Agfa in the 70s fares better, but I have few of those. So my experiece is more like Osi's. Perhaps the Winbert collection came right at the very end, purchased new?

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 07, 2008 09:16 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got mine second hand from UK. And I have a feelling I got luckier if i bought film from UK (in terms of stock they use).

Do you guys in US have ever been thinking that during that period, The US Government "push" the film companies to use only American products (i.e Kodak)?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2008 02:51 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, long live prints from Buck Labs!

I know of no such "encouragement" and just figured that it's cheaper to ship raw stock on the same continent.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 10, 2008 10:17 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two copies of "The Dwarfs Dilemma" one an american print bought second hand in the 70s, the other more recent from the UK "Buck labs", and although the US print looks slightly warmer "not bad after all those years" it still runs through the projector much better "a rock steady image". I am not sure if UK film stock suffers more from shrinkage allowing this kind of movement in the gate and constant re-focusng, but between the two films I prefer the american print.

Graham. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC