8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig 926 GL Stereo Mod

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig 926 GL Stereo Mod
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 02, 2008 04:05 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Following Osi's thread on film scratching on the Eumig 926, here are some photo's of the modification I made on my 926. I constructed an aluminum L-bracket with two additional film rollers, which bolts very simply to the top of the GL's lamp house cover. The film is threaded through the rollers as shown. This modification greatly dampens the film thrashing and tugging of that big length of film between the supply spool and the top input roller of the film path.

-

-

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2008 04:12 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent idea paul. Something like that I would like to try myself when I find suilable rollers. Would rubber wheels do as well.

Graham S

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 02, 2008 04:22 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,
I had my rollers made at a local machine shop. The material is DuPont Delrin, which is a high wearing plastic with very low coefficient of friction, so they spin really freely on the stainless steel hex-head screws attaching them to the L-bracket. As you can see, I specified a 15 degree taper on the film side of the roller, to avoid any contact except to the edges of the film. You can also see that I designed the bracket with provision for four rollers, but found out by test that just two worked well.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 02, 2008 06:55 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Magnificent Paul!

Ever thought of designing your own "perfect projector"?

(That's not sarcasm ... really)

It makes you wonder why Eumig hadn't run into that themselves? It's a rather low cost extra. They must have noticed the jerk of the reels (especially 600ft), when in pre-production.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 10, 2008 10:36 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bolting these rollers to the top of the 926GL means that you can no longer use the rewind feature on the projector as it gets in the way. No big loss,(I don't like rewinding on this machine with that reversed loop anyway) you just need to use a hand rewinder or another projector, but this may be the reason that Eumig did not put these extra rollers on top of the machine. You have to wonder though why Eumig persued this coaxial reel design - it certainly brought with it a lot of unnecessary problems, happily all resolved on the 938 and 940.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2008 04:08 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
Very nice work. I would love to know if the shop that made the rollers specializes in such things or if they simply had the tools to do it, and how much they charge.

I am myself looking for 2 nylon guide rollers for the payout spindles of my Super-8 and my Standard-8 projectors, and so far I have only seen the one available from Wittner, at a fairly steep price.

Best,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 10, 2008 05:54 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus, I was fortunate enough to get these rollers made at no cost at the Company where I worked. Since the bean counters took over the company, every tenth of a second in the machine shop has to be accounted for, so this is no longer an option. An outside machine shop would be quite expensive, I would not be suprised if they charged $50.00 or more for each roller. By far your best bet would be to pick up a junk projector on ebay and steal the rollers off that.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2008 07:45 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plenty of cheap rollers on editors, they generally cost less than projectors too.

David

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2008 01:26 PM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

could you please contact me via eMail ( jpolzfuss ÄT yahoo DÖT de)?

Regards,
Jörg

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC