8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 8mm film with sound stripe

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 8mm film with sound stripe
Alan L. Hitchcox
Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2008 09:58 PM      Profile for Alan L. Hitchcox   Author's Homepage   Email Alan L. Hitchcox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently acquired some 8mm sound films on eBay. As is often the case, the seller didn't know anything about the films, and I couldn't communicate to him the difference between standard 8mm and super 8 film stock. He couldn't even tell me what size the spindle hole is in the center of the reel.
I took a chance and bid on the films. I won about five of them, and they arrived today. Much to my disappointment, they are all standard 8mm film, and my sound projector only shows super 8.I plan on posting these for sale on this forum, but I'm not sure what this film is called. Physically, it is the same size as my standard 8mm films, and it has a sound stripe on the same edge as the sprocket holes. Is this single-8 film, or something else.
Oh, for those curious about the titles, they are:
The "Benny Goodman Story," 1955, starring Steve Allen and Donna Reed (five 400-ft reels); "The Red Stallion," a western from 1947, (four 400-ft reels); "Cattle Queen," a western from 1951 (four 400-ft reels), "A Chump at Oxford," starring, of course, Laurel & Hardy, plus several shorts, including Freddy & the Dreamers (remember them?) performing "You Were Made for Me," an artist closeup called "The Unsinkable Bette Davis," plus a couple cartoons and baseball shorts.
Thanks, and I look forward to any help you can render.

--------------------
Alan Hitchcox
Willoughby, Ohio USA

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 05, 2008 04:25 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan,

It is Standard-8 sound. It's a little unusual, but not very.

They will play on any Dual-8 sound machine. According to Tim Christian's material on the history of 8mm sound, standard 8 sound machines were available in the 1960s, although I've very rarely seen them.

The interesting thing about Standard-8 sound is the separation of sound from picture is 54 frames Vs. 18 for Super-8, so there should be much less of a problem with the 24 FPS popping Super-8 sound tends to have.

I think the right buyer would appreciate these films.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Alan L. Hitchcox
Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2008 09:16 PM      Profile for Alan L. Hitchcox   Author's Homepage   Email Alan L. Hitchcox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Steve.
I have a Eumig dual-8 projector (no longer working), which could've shown the both super 8 and std 8 sound. Considering the difference in sound separation, how could it show both types without one being out of synch?

--------------------
Alan Hitchcox
Willoughby, Ohio USA

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 05, 2008 09:56 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't actually seen it for myself, but I recall reading that the lower loop is forced to be bigger in R8 mode so the amount of time (and film distance) between the gate and sound heads is increased.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 07, 2008 06:11 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortnuately, they will not play on "any" dual gauge machines. Silmas and Bauers, for instance, although sold as std/super 8 sound projectors featured a single film path for super 8 (18 frames difference).
Dual film Eumigs are, in my humble opinion, the best for the job. Switching from one system to the other is more than a matter of pushing down a lever. You have to change the sprocket wheels and the film gate manually. The 8mm gate features a special bump at its bottom that will indeed force-thread the film, as Steve said, into an alternate longer path before reaching the sound heads. Very clever system found on some models of the 7XX-D and 8XX-D series.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 07, 2008 07:21 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If memory serves me right the sound separation of Standard 8mm was 56 frames. Your best bet is to keep an eye open for a Eumig dual gauge sound projector which came in many shapes and sizes, possibly the nicest is the 824D. The Eumig 810D had the highest number manufactured and many of these are still around so you should have no trouble finding one of these. Some years ago I researched Eumig for a magazine article and they had some company history.

Happy viewing.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2008 01:04 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with J-M and Lee.

I have a Eumig S 810 D dual gauge sound projector, which is permanently set up for std 8.

I also have a Eumig Mark S which is a standard 8 only sound machine. I recently modified it by fitting a front arm at the rear for the take-up spool. I can now run 600ft reels on both machines, which I find superb. (The S 810 D takes 600ft reels anyway).

I heartily concur with both the previous posts in that I have no hesitation in thoroughly recommending either of these two projectors for standard 8 films, whether they be sound or silent.

However, if you're a bit of an "anorak/purist" like myself, I still use either of my 2 Elmos (E-80 or F-80) or the Ampro Futurist 8, for silent standard 8 screenings - it just seems to provide the right ambiance somehow, so to speak.

Enjoy your standard 8 films - they can be very good, you know!

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2008 12:47 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HERE HERE!

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2008 03:58 AM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I wrote in another thread,I have bought a HLD 6000 sound sup/std
projector to find out that the sound in std 8 films is not played back normally-ie no lip-sync-because of the 56 fps overlap; unfortunately there's nothing to be done,just a question:are the Eumig the only dual-8 sound projectors where this problem doesn't exist?

--------------------
Yannis

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 11, 2008 10:44 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan

See if you can find a Eumig Mark-S-709. It is dual standard 8 and super 8. It is auto thread only through the gate, thereafter it's manual thread through a channel (like an old tape recorder) and then manually laced around the rear sprocket. The area of the mech below the gate has two embossed curves indicating the size of the loop for each film gauge.

The removable side cover contains the gate not in use, plus the other two sprockets, and if you're using standard 8 there will also be an adapter for a super 8 spool on the feed arm. The take-up spindle will only take a super 8 spool, so this must be used whatever gauge you are running.

The projector is designed for use on 50/60 cycles, with voltage varying from 110v to 250v so it can be used just about anywhere.

Do not buy it "blind" without first having a chance to see it running, as this model is now getting rather elderly.

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2008 09:18 PM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice is dead on. I have two Eumig Mark S 709's and they both run quite nicely either super or std 8 sound films. Once's it's auto threaded through the gate you make a large loop according to the dotted line on the side of the machine, thread it through the rest, set the sound switch for std, (which btw would also serve to play the balance stripe on super 8), and away you go. Works like a charm. Std 8 sound is actually quite nice. If you want to part with them I actually would be interested. Let me know.
Cheers,

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

Eric Baucher
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2008 06:21 PM      Profile for Eric Baucher   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Baucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you get an 800 series Eumig (which are more common) the standard 8 gate has a lip on the bottom and it changes the film path for the 56 frame separation. I have an 802D and an 824D(the best model in my opiniom) and they have no problems what so ever.Never had the 709 but im sure they are good to cause Eumig made som fine machines. if it werent for optical films and the 1200ft reel, you aalmost wouldnt need an Elmo [Smile] *covers head and waits for the GS1200 crowd to throw stuff at him*

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 21, 2008 02:13 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric, you won't get any flack from me about Eumig projectors- I have always held my Eumig's in very high regard. I have a special affection for the 800 series, they are so compact and solidly built, just great little work horses. I do not like the coaxial reel 900-929 series, but the later non-coaxial 900 series (930 and up) are superb, with the 938 stereo and 940 stereo being the crown jewels of all the Eumigs.
It is interesting to compare the engineering approach of the Eumig and Elmo designers. Both companies manufactured superb equipment, but I think in many respects the Eumig designers were a little more sophisticated and innovative. Many of the Eumig projectors have some really clever features, one being already mentioned in this thread, how the 824D automatically throws standard 8 film to the larger loop size for 56 frames separation, with just a little change in the angle of the bottom of the gate. Now that is clever! The Elmo GS1200 is a superb machine of course, perhaps the best ever super 8 projector in some regards. Looking at the design, with its miriad of microswitches and relays and solenoids, you can see that the engineers took a very straightforward and logical approach to its complicated electronic control design. Solid engineering, well executed, nothing wrong with it, but also nothing that jumps out as being a brilliant new idea.
Anyway, I have rambled too much, and am probably being overly critical of Elmo. Just some random thoughts on these two great projector manufacturers. To each his own. [Wink]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC