8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » why are M+O elmo projectors more common in europe?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: why are M+O elmo projectors more common in europe?
Eric Baucher
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2008 09:14 PM      Profile for Eric Baucher   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Baucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two HD's but everytime I look om Ebay UK or DE or even IT almost all the Elmo ST projectors are mag/optical yet almost none of the elmos in the US are. I even know a guy who used to sell elmos in NYC in the 70's and he never had any optical capable units, I wonder why that is.......

|  IP: Logged

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2008 01:18 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as i remember,the elmo 1200 series imported into uk were all mag/opt,we just didnt see the other versions or even knew they existed.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2008 03:22 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine has an Elmo ST1200 Mag ONLY

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2008 04:14 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine too!

It's an ST1200HD - magnetic sound only!

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 06, 2008 06:18 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen a number of ST1200's over the years and they have mainly been the mag only version.

In the UK very few films were released with optical soundtracks. More were released in France, Germany and Japan.

As time has passed these machines have moved about between countries and this may be the reason why you see them now spread about in these countries.

When I bought my very first ST1200HD it did have optical sound but I didnt pay a premium for it. I think it was a case of they sold whatever version was available at the time.

I have repaired quite a few ST1200HD's and in the main the have not had the optical facility.

I have never seen an optical version of the ST600 but they do exist on the other hand virtually all ST800's have optical sound.

I think it was all down to the way that Elmo marketed and built these machines.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2008 06:24 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too am a bit puzzled as to the 'selective' availability of the Mag/Opt models.
In Denmark we never saw any model but the Mag model, and when I came to the States and got mine, the Mag one (ST1200 HD) was the one offered.
It was not until I got on EBay I ever saw that there was in fact a 'dual-purpose' model available.
I have never had a need for an optical 8mm machine, but still it is interesting how it seems to have been divided up by market. There must have been reasons....more optical films available in England??

Best,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2008 12:57 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Australia there are both. I have had two ST 1200's and both were Mag and Optical. I would say the split sold in Australia would be around 50/50. Interesting in that I have had ST 1200's with optical for over 20 years and never ran a single Super 8 optical print!

David

Eric Baucher
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2008 08:41 PM      Profile for Eric Baucher   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Baucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I happened to re read my copy of "the super 8 book" by Lenny Lipton (wonder where he is these days?) right after posting this topic, and acording to that book he says that there are also "o" versions of the ST1200D. wonder why they made optical only versions, sems that would have been hard to sell, unless they were only sold to airlines. I have certainly never seen one of those. wonder what that would fetch on ebay? probably be bought just on rarity alone I'd Imagine.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 08, 2008 09:15 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lenny Lipton, who wrote the words to "Puff the Magic Dragon",

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nva4AseNIAY

is alive, well and apparently pretty busy:

http://www.lennylipton.com/

I enjoy his Super-8 book. I bought mine new and it's looking pretty worn these days.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2008 09:34 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

you should keep in mind that the single8-camera Fujica ZS400 was able to record optical sound and that Quelle/Foto-Quelle sold a lot of films with an optical sound-track under their "Revue" label in Europe. Not to mention that the German Quelle/Foto-Quelle was also selling films by "Ullstein AV" that have been available only with an optical sound-track. ("Ullstein AV" did have a "super8-rental"-thing for those films, too.)

There have been rumors about several European companies/schools using super8-films with optical soundtracks for teaching/demonstration-purposes as the optical soundtrack was cheaper and wasn't to be erased by mistake... . I haven't figured out whether this is true as most of the companies/schools used 16mm-films... .

Jörg

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC