8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 8mm releases: do we STILL have to say sound?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 8mm releases: do we STILL have to say sound?
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 07, 2008 06:50 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a thought, but I can't help thinking that around 25 years on from the days that 8mm films were sometimes sold in sound and silent versions, it's a bit odd - and quaint-sounding - that new releases are still referred to as "Colour/sound". Surely, anyone collecting films now takes sound for granted, unless there's good reason for a film to be silent.

So whilst it's not exactly a matter of great importance, is it maybe about time that dealers and collectors dropped the references to sound, unless a film is stereo or silent?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2008 11:52 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Adrian. On ebay when no mention is made of sound or colour, I always assume silent and B & W, luckiliy my favourite dealers are always clear on this.

It always pays to ask as there is still so much silent product out there, especially Castle and Blackhawk. On new releases as you say it would almost always be colour and sound, but I still like to have it written clearly as it could be a new release of a B & W short.

David

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2008 03:17 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst I agree on the one hand; on the other hand I still think it's a good idea for the sake of clarity to state sound or silent. Then there can be no doubt, particularly where e-Bay purchases are concerned, as David points out.

If we are only collecting well known or recent features, cartoons, shorts and releases etc., then there is probably no need, but if you're into the older Blackhawk, Castle and other similar genres, like I am, then I think it's important to know in advance what you're getting.

It's really a "horses for courses" situation.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 08, 2008 11:54 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buying std 8 or super 8 on eBay can be a minefield. Most sellers don't know what they have, and whether it is sound or silent.

At the moment there is a seller advertising a film which he/she calls "Perry's Movies." Well, that's what it says on the box!

Our own favourite dealers should be supported at all times, otherwise one day they won't be there.

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 08, 2008 12:22 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree 100% Maurice and had my fingers more than burnt in the last few weeks with ebay purchases.

Pink films, some with no sprocket holes for nearly 1ft of film, missing sound tracks and to top it all only 1 reel sent of a two part film purchased and clearly shown on the listing as 2 reels.

Its not been a good month for ebay here and as you say, many either dont know what they are selling or are acting dumb to make a quick buck.

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2008 12:43 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree entirely.Lets have some more old time films in silent on our screens.They make interesting viewing without obnoxious soundtracks intruding.Live the film and let your imagination run riot.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2008 04:09 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I've never (yet) purchased a film on eBay - fortunately, it would seem. I was just re-iterating the fact that it is important to be thoroughly clear, or at least as clear as possible, when doing so.

I have used our own favourite dealers and other Forum members exclusively when purchasing films, and haven't been disappointed yet - though it must be tempting if that illusive film that you've been after for ages, suddenly pops up on the dreaded eBay.

If such a temptation should arise, I for one, would be inclined to ask Forum members if they have had experience with the seller in question - a sort of "in-house" feedback. That is probably the only way to get an honest opinion.

What say you?

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2008 04:20 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a simple answer to this. DONT buy films on EBay. Only buy from the well known dealers and at film fairs. That way we can keep the dealers and film fairs happy because if we dont, both will dissapear for good [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 08, 2008 04:21 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've bought a lot of films on E-bay, most of them have been exactly as the seller described, and in the few cases I've gotten rubbish the sellers have actually been pretty reasonable about taking them back and refunding all costs.

Classically, the bad ones have come from the "I don't have a projector" kinds of sellers.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2008 05:50 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most ridiculous description that I have seen, and more than once, is for Castle films: for all 8mm, Super 8 and 16mm projectors! This is written on the front of Castle boxes and the seller thinks that the film will run in all of these projectors! I have corrected this error more than a few times over the years.

The old I don't have a projector means they honestly don't have a clue or they do and are hiding something. There are risks but still value on ebay; I still prefer my favourite dealers however and good clear descriptions of format, guage, sound, colour.

David

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 08, 2008 06:37 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must say that the vast majority of 8mm I've bought on eBay has been as described and mint/near mint, especially if bought from people who sell a lot of film and know what they are talking about. Some dealers are considerably less reliable in my experience.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2008 02:56 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My entire collection, simple though it may be, exists because of Ebay, and I've learned a lot over the last few years. Yes, a good deal can be found here and there, and without access to any film fairs stateside here, it's the only option -- unless buying from our fine UK friends. (Exchange rate = ouch)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC