8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bauer owners: Xenovaron 1.1 on EBay Germany

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bauer owners: Xenovaron 1.1 on EBay Germany
Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2008 07:29 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just trawling through the German Bay when I saw this beauty. I can't use it, but if any of the 'Bauer brethren' here has any cash left after Christmas, now's the chance [Wink] :

http://cgi.ebay.de/SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH-MC-XENOVARON-1-1-11-30MM-BAUER_W0QQitemZ150203726474QQihZ005QQcategoryZ8271QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I figure anytime any of 'those lenses' show up, it's our duty to spread the news (I only wish it would have fitted my ST1200, but you can't have everything.)

Check it out,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 10, 2008 01:06 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI, once the focusing pin has been removed and sanded, this version will perfectly fit the CHC sleeve for the GS1200 (that's what I did).

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 10, 2008 05:04 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a very cheap buy it now price for such a superb optic. I'm surprised it's still up for sale.
Maybe people are not aware of the advice that JM gave above. Yes remove the focus pin and buy a GS sleeve from CHS, Wittners etc and you then have a superb lens for an Elmo machine [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2008 09:23 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc, Kevin,

You just HAD to tell me it could fit my ST1200 after all... [Big Grin]
This after I just got the Elmo 1.1..

In terms of performance, where does the Schneider outdo the Elmo 1.1? Greater sharpness? Better overall focus?
I am curious as I always wanted the Schneider, but now that I have the (very nice) Elmo 1.1, how much extra would I get with the Schneider?

Best,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 10, 2008 12:18 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus, the jury is still out.
There are some really good Elmos 1.1 that will outstage lesser Schneiders, and excellent Schneiders that will surpass average Elmos.

Apparently, Kev is happy with a Schneider on his Xenon. I still prefer the Elmo 1.0. But my Schneider gives great results on halogen machines (ST or GS)

The Schneider will give you a slightly bluer image as opposed to the Elmo which tends towards yellow, and a slightly bigger image at its shorter focal length (11 vs 12.5 for the Elmo 1.1).

I also have one mounted on a Bauer and it gives better results than the original Isco (which has been installed on a 16Cl projector).

Confused?
[Wink]

I suppose it's a matter of budget. Can you afford it? Then give it a try, you might get lucky. If not, stick to the Elmo lens.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2008 03:35 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jean-Marc,

I see what you are saying about variables; in the smaller formats, I imagine that very subtle differences can be harder to tell than in ,say, 16 or 35.

The Elmo 1.1 has better flat-field focus than the standard 1.3 I have; also there is a sense of better overall sharpness (with a bit brighter image as well, of course.)
I think that will do me just fine for regular 150W projection.

Best,
Claus.

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 10, 2008 05:10 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I find the Schneider gives a slightly crisper image over any of the 1.1 Elmos I have tried. Also the Schneider 1.1 I have gives a light output between that of the Elmo 1.1 and 1.0. I have done measurements with a Lux meter to prove that is the case.

Once again as JM says it possible for different samples of each lens to give varying results.

A more neutral image colour as JM remarked above is something the Schneiders are renowned for.
I have one of these lenses on my GS Xenon and I will never go back to the yellower looking Elmo lenses.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC