8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » LENGTH OF LEADER

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LENGTH OF LEADER
David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2008 07:02 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was recently pondering the question as to what would be an appropriate length of leader for both 8mm and 16mm films.

Naturally, the main governing factor would be that of the film path through the projector. The length of the leader needs to allow sufficient time for the projector to come up to speed, and to ensure that there is no malfunction before the film proper enters the projector mechanism. Further, there needs to be sufficient time to switch the projector off and for it to come to a halt, should there be a problem.

Accordingly, I have carried out several experiments, and have come up with what suits me, hopefully to cover all eventualities.

Some will find my choice too long, whilst others may find it too short, but I would rather replace a length of damaged leader than ruin a film!

For both Standard 8 and Super 8, I use about 6ft (2 metres), and half this length at the end of the film.

For 16mm I use about 12ft (just under 4 metres), as the film is travelling at approximately twice the speed for the same fps. Again, half this length at the end of the film.

I just wonder how this compares with other members.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2008 09:07 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
6ft sounds about right for Super-8. I tend to add more to the tail, to give the film a good 'wrap' at the end as well, and to help diminish the end-of-reel dirt speckling.

For 16, loooong is good. I use a long-play tower, so for features I need more leader to get to the take-up, get the machine and tower in motion and let things stabilize.

But for regular 16 reel-to-reel your measure sounds just right. Again, at the tail, I may use a bit more than you; I like the film having more protection at the core as well.

Best,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 13, 2008 02:29 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David
You use roughly about twice what I do on both 8 and 16. So long as I can thread a film and stop the projector before the end of the leader reaches the gate, that's fine for me. I sue a bit less with Std 8 than with S8, as the film path on my Eumig is considerably shorter than on a GS.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC