8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Good Dual 8mm projector for transferring film to DVD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Good Dual 8mm projector for transferring film to DVD
Myron Baron
Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2008 11:15 AM      Profile for Myron Baron   Author's Homepage   Email Myron Baron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do move transfers 8mm/Super 8mm to DVD for friends, and some times for people who heard about me doing this. My problem is the projector I use is a Chinon 2500, It has a problem auto threading, and sometimes eats the film, good thing its just the leader, which I can replace. I took it apart and cleaned it, still the same problem. What would be a good replacement projector for this one. I keep hearing about a manufacture called Elmo, I always see good reviews about this projector. I can't afford to spend to much $200 to $300. Is their a certain model Elmo which I can purchase for this amout? I see Elmo's on e-bay, but I am not sure about the model or its quality to do the job, so I do not bid. Can some one please enlighten me on this subject.
Thank you
Myron Baron

|  IP: Logged

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2008 01:38 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Myron and welcome to the forum.

There are a number of threads of telecine and also some good sites you should check out if you are into that.

http://homepage.mac.com/onsuper8/diytelecine/
http://www.super-8.be/
www.filmshooting.com

I use a Eumig 607 (basically same as 610, not same as 605) wich have 0-3-6-9-18-0 fps setting. With this projector and a StopMotion animation software I can capture each and every single frame from the film and atumatically combine them to a movie when they are captured. Or I can choose (for speed) to "stream" at 18 fps direct to the PC via my GS500.

Another nifty projector is the Sankyo dualux 1000/2000. These have stepless regulation of the speed, and would do nicely in a condenser set-up me thinks.

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2008 04:36 AM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Knut,
What are the differences between the headlamps Eumig 607, 610 and 605?

Thanks

--------------------
Tony

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2008 04:55 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIK the are all 12v/100 watt. The older 501 also dual machine is 8v/50 watt. 614 and 624 is also 12/100 watt.

The 605 only have 0-6-9-18-0 on the FPS dial, if that. The 607/610 have more options. (Don't remember the exact fps settings at the moment. I think 0-3-6-9-18-0)

BTW, if you are going to use it for telecine, loose the 100 watt bulb and replace it with a 12v/20 watt halogen or something like that.

Make sure the new bulb is not visible through the gate, then create a white reflecting surface at 45 deg to the gate (where the old bulb was) to bounce light through the filmgate. That way you avoide hotspot.

Myron Baron
Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2008 07:18 AM      Profile for Myron Baron   Author's Homepage   Email Myron Baron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Knut:
Thanks for your input, I found it most helpful. Especially the software from Aternaware, I hope you don't mind, I had a few other questions and I sent you an e-mail.
Thanks again
Myron Baron

Myron Baron
Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2008 05:09 AM      Profile for Myron Baron   Author's Homepage   Email Myron Baron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Knut:
Previously you told me about doing frame by frame copying of film, using a mouse with a wire attatche(soldered) to the exe button, and that wire going to a micro switch. With this set up can I use my Pinnacle studio 9x software, or do I need a special software?
Thank you
Myron

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC