8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo ST1200 HD Sound Wow Problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo ST1200 HD Sound Wow Problem
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2008 02:37 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching a few films on my ST1200 HD (mag only model) when I noticed wow on sound containing high notes, like the violins on Pieces of Silver. It's not serious, but is noticeable. The notes are not nice and steady. Any advice?

|  IP: Logged

Eric Baucher
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2008 05:28 PM      Profile for Eric Baucher   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Baucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
more than one problem could cause this, but first try cleaning the film and maybe the film path of your projector. 1200 HD can be picky with some film.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2008 04:12 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simon,

Have you noticed wow/flutter before on this film or on any others?

I don't know if your machine has the rubber ring around the shutter wheel, or what your maintenance history is, but IF the rubber is there, that is one thing to at least check for aging/melting (for the sake of completion.) It can cause mayhem with the speed, to the point of causing the machine to grind to a halt.

Other than that, the belts could be suspect, getting a bit slack.

I am no engineer; I am merely bringing up the issues I have had with my 1200 that caused similar problems.

Good Luck,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 16, 2008 05:25 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Simon, The sound recording on that print is not the best. I get wow on it on my GS1200 too. I have tried some lube on my print but it didnt cure it. I think the problem is from the origination.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2008 03:08 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your responses. I had a look at High Society on the projector...no wow was present on the sound. I think it must be certain films only? Anyway, Kevin was correct, the print of Pieces of Silver isn't the best. Shame really!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC