8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bauer T510 Sound

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bauer T510 Sound
Jeremy Day
Film Handler

- posted January 17, 2008 09:46 PM      Profile for Jeremy Day   Email Jeremy Day   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all.

As some of you might remember, I recently purchased a Bauer T510. It was new old stock. Great picture. Excellent condition.

I just ran a film through the projector to test it out on the new screen.

I didn't hear any sound. As the manual is in German, I'm at a loss. Could some of the settings be off to allow for sound?

Bear in mind, I have no speakers attached, but I was under the impression that the projector had some smaller internal speakers. At one point I thought I heard something, but it was so faint I might have imagined it.

I'm going to try another film after I post this. Perhaps it was the film? Maybe some setting wasn't right? I did have it on 24 fps.

Thanks for your help.

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 17, 2008 11:21 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy,

The 510 has two high quality internal speakers. Hearing the audio should just be a matter of pressing the correct button. If you're facing the projector (feed reel is on your right), you'll see six buttons (five black, one red) on the bottom left side. They read as follows: Stereo-Mono-Auto-Track 1-Track 2-Record (red). To playback mono films, depress the track 1 button (pull it toward you). If any of the other buttons are down, depress them once so they return to the upright (off) position. In the middle (under a meter) are two sliding switches. Set the bottom one (automatic duoplay) to zero. On the bottom right are six sliding audio controls. From left to right there are two sound mix controls, a manual recording level control, followed by Tone-Balance-Volume. For playback, set the sound mix and manual record level controls to zero. Check the Balance control. Notice that the numbers for Balance go 4-3-2-1-0-1-2-3-4. Make sure it's set to zero. Start the projector, turn up that volume switch, and you should now be hearing the brilliant sound reproduction that these great projectors are famous for.

Doug

-

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jeremy Day
Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2008 11:01 AM      Profile for Jeremy Day   Email Jeremy Day   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,

Thanks. I couldn't find an annotation on my film box about mono or stereo but it worked with track one and mono.

I guess I'll have to try and find some decent speakers at a flea market and try and understand the ports on this thing.

Some way through the film, either because I was hitting sound buttons to test the effects or because the film and projector still need to be cleaned (I ordered a film viewer for use with my filmguard)the film sound track went very slow.

It sounded like it changed to 18 fps to be honest. And the speed didn't seem to change when I switched it between the 18 fps setting and the 24 fps (although it was initially going faster I think because dialogue sounded fine).

I guess I'll need to experiment more. Thanks again. Hopefully I haven't already caused a problem.

Thanks for all your help.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 18, 2008 12:20 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy,

Are you looking for external speakers because you feel the built-ins aren't working properly?

Check the voltage selector on the back next to the power cord receptacle. Make sure it's set to 120v. Also, try running the projector at 24fps for about 30 minutes without any film threaded up. Your Bauer has probably been sitting in the box for almost two decades so let it run a bit. If it's still running slow a new belt might be in order.

Doug

--------------------

Jeremy Day
Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2008 12:37 PM      Profile for Jeremy Day   Email Jeremy Day   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sound worked alright. I think. I'm not sure I thought the speakers were excellent in sound quality. I am hoping the projector and film will run a little quieter with filmguard. I'm fairly sure the films I've tried are warped and brittle to some degree.

I'll let the projector run for awhile on 24 fps. I was considering getting the speakers so the sound could originate away from the noise of the projector itself.

Bear in mind, other than a minor external cleaning of the projector, I haven't lubed or cleaned any internal components. I just don't have the knowledge to do so.

If I am running the projector without any film and I switch the frame rate from 24 to 18, I should hear an audible change? There's no way I could confuse the sound 18 fps with the sound of 24 fps?

The projector itself, when running without film, seems to be fairly quiet. I think also that the film ran at 24 fps because the sound was not slow at the beginning of the reel but slowed down after a few minutes.

Thanks.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 18, 2008 12:50 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy,

To play it safe, I wouldn't change from 18 to 24fps while the projector is running. It's not a variable speed motor (aside from the two choices) so it's not meant to ramp up and down. Actually, the speed selector switch is also what turns the projector on. Yes, the condition of the film could affect how the projector runs.

Doug

--------------------

Jeremy Day
Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2008 12:51 PM      Profile for Jeremy Day   Email Jeremy Day   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You think It could cause a problem if I change it during play?

[ January 19, 2008, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: Jeremy Day ]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 18, 2008 01:01 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy,

Check your e-mail!

Doug

--------------------

Jeremy Day
Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2008 03:09 PM      Profile for Jeremy Day   Email Jeremy Day   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've taken off the rear casing as you suggested. As for the build up of grease on the cogs, there seem to be a few globules here and there. I certainly wouldn't describe the gears as evenly coated, but, in my less-than-expert opinion, they didn't seem excessively coated. I'll have to purchase some WD-40 and try and cut them down. Is there a particular type of lubrication that I should use with projectors, should i need to apply some?

I saw two different belts inside of the projector. I would take pictures, but my camera doesn't macro focus. Maybe later. One of the belts was in the middle. The other was attached to the take up spindle in the rear. I can't decide if I would describe them as taut. Touching them lightly with my finger proved they were flexible and they had a certain amount of give. I'm not sure that proves anything, as a rubber band that is taut might have a certain amount of give. It just depends on the size of belt.

I think it might be somewhat of a challenged to clean and thin out the grease. Some of the cogs are deep inside, but I'll give it my best shot.

Thanks for all of your advice and help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

This is certainly a hobby that requires patience, money, and time. [Smile]

Jeremy Day
Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2008 08:52 PM      Profile for Jeremy Day   Email Jeremy Day   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went inside of the Bauer and tried to clean off some of the excess grease.

I think the 24 fps is quite loud as compared to what people described with their Bauers.

Twice now, I have turned on the projector on 24 fps and the belt wasn't turning. After just a few moments, something started to smoke. I, of course, turned it off quickly. Maybe it was the friction on the belt? Every other time it turned though.

I guess I could try replacing the belts? Should it come to it, any suggestions on a repair technician? Maybe I could just pony up for lubrication and belt replacement and it might solve my problems.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 18, 2008 10:47 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy,

With the machine unplugged, try rotating the inching knob which is located in the front, adjacent to the lens. Does the belt turn?

Doug

--------------------

Jeremy Day
Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2008 07:08 AM      Profile for Jeremy Day   Email Jeremy Day   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure. 2 out of 50 times it ran. I'm sure moving the knob in front would get it going. Is this a common occurrence?

I just wonder if those two times out of 50 show that there is either friction from hardened grease or lack of friction by one or more of the belts?

I don't know. I purchased a set of belts just in case. Regardless I'll have back ups if the current set of belts are fine.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 19, 2008 07:31 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`d relay all of this to the seller who has obviously been making money out of selling these, even with odd belt problems they are usually quiet as a mouse and with polyester stock virtually silent compared to other machines.
Also all the bauers I ever owned rarely complained with unlubed stock, even old actate prints usually play very well on them no problems.
I`d be tempted to ask for a small refund towards belts and it being looked at etc or maybe even if they have another machine as if the one on ebay linked from here shows it as tested and running very quietly.They have sold a lot so maybe just tested one or two.
Lets face it you bought this to avoid all of these problems not get one like an old very well used jobby.
Good luck.
Best Mark.

Andy Oliver
Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2008 07:40 AM      Profile for Andy Oliver   Email Andy Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, sorry to hear you have problems with your t510. I purchased 3 from the same outfit. Have you emailed the seller?. The only problem i had on one of mine was no sound. That was quickly sorted ny depressing the the track one switch a few time to clear the tarnish. Think these machine are all 1979 vintage, possibly 1980, certainly my instruction manual, although in German was printed in 79... Running speeds, sound quality all on par with my 502.. Also very quiet in operation..

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2008 07:47 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i agree with mark,my 510 is so unfussy about film condition and is so quiet,i love it.the auto lace up has never failed,not once in 4 years and the picture is always rock steady.
if you buy new old stock,then the seller should have checked each machine and repaced belts etc,i think you should make the seller aware of all this.
good luck,my bauers have been totally trouble free except for a belt breaking on one of them.
ps anyone know a source of belts for these!

Jeremy Day
Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2008 08:12 AM      Profile for Jeremy Day   Email Jeremy Day   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice all. I guess I was the lucky 1% this time. I've sent off a message to the seller. Hopefully they can help me out. Thanks.

Jeremy Day
Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2008 10:57 AM      Profile for Jeremy Day   Email Jeremy Day   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug,

Just responded to your email. I didn't see it until now.

Thanks.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC