8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super8Filmaker

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super8Filmaker
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 18, 2008 03:07 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just bought a sealed copy in a clam-shell case of Ken release number F62, "The Rocky Horror Picture Show." It was a calculated buy, I fully expected this US release to be on faded Eastman, but I was very pleased to find that the colour is still fine. It's printed on Agfa stock.

Did many US labs use Agfa?

Inside the case is a mailing envelope for SUPER8FILMAKER offering a free copy of the "World's largest selling filmmaking magazine." "Yes! Send me my free complimentary copy and bill me at the money-saving rate." Eight issues over one year were offered for $9.00. The mailing address was "P.O.Box 10052, Palo Alto, CA, 94303."

I've never heard of this magazine. Is it still being published?

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 18, 2008 03:35 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice,

A similar concern was also raised here recently: Ken also printed on Agfa

But seems no solid anser was given.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 18, 2008 10:10 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice,

Super-8 Filmaker was a terrific magazine with an amazing range of articles (Basic beginner workshops, How to shoot in 3D, Filming in Nicaragua during a revolution, etc.). The first issue came out in 1972 and I believe the magazine ceased publication approximately ten years later.
These days, Chris Cottrill's excellent Super 8 Today is the closest thing to it.

Doug

-

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 18, 2008 04:33 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice
I would keep an eye out for collections of old "Movie Maker", "Film Making" and "Super8 Filmaker" magazines even though its been years since they were published they still make very interesting reading.

Graham.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 21, 2008 09:54 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just received from UK a "Three Musketeers" of Ken Films.

The box is entirely different with those Ken's from USA. This Ken's of UK comes in a thin box (not a cardboard) similar to all movies from Mountain Films or Walton's. Only the artwork is the same with Ken's of USA.

Plastic reel is also different, the UK one is using a white reel plastic (not blue or grey like those made in USA), similar to those UK reelases.

I assumed that they were printed in the UK (not imported) since it will be funny to think that they arrived without any box or reels.

My UK prints is no faded whatsoever (apart from grainy picture and soft focus, which probably becuase the master they used).

So... if Ken releases were also printed in the UK, there was a big possibility that they used local stock, i.e AGFA instead of imported material such as Kodak. This can be seen in many Disneys printed by Bucks Lab of UK.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC