8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Additional Lenses For Bolex M8?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Additional Lenses For Bolex M8?
Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2008 10:13 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am curious if other focal lenghts were offered for this machine in addition to the prime that came with it, as I have yet to see any such lenses for sale anywhere.

Thanks,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

|  IP: Logged

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2008 10:33 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Bolex Collector says: "LENS: Interchangeable lenses; Usually supplied with a Kern 20mm f/1.6. Later models were supplied with a Kern 20mm f/1.3 lens."
I'm not sure whether those "Interchangeable lenses" fulfilled any of those standards back then...

Rob Watson
Junior

- posted January 18, 2008 11:00 AM      Profile for Rob Watson   Email Rob Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were two others offered as standard, a 34mm and another around 25mm (I cant remember exactly). Very late M8s could take the 15mm lens used in the later 18-5. The 18-5's zoom lens will also fit the latest models but, being longer, interferes with the film path when rewinding. The lens housing on earlier M8s can be altered to take the 18-5 lenses by slightly grinding the lens locating pin with a Dremel or similar.

Rob

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2008 11:41 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the information; I have what I am assuming is the 'later' M8 (silver, not matte green, with the 1.3 lens)

I'll keep the 18-5 lens in mind.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 18, 2008 02:24 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kern lenses used on the Bolex projectors are superb, just like their camera lenses - possibly the best 8mm lenses ever made. If you shoot reg 8 mm on a Bolex camera with Kern lenses, and then project on an 18-5 with a Hi-Fi Kern lens, you end up with unbelievable sharpness and contrast that puts even todays video to shame. High Definition? 8mm has had it for 50 years!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Rob Watson
Junior

- posted January 21, 2008 06:37 AM      Profile for Rob Watson   Email Rob Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus - The grey finish M8 was introduced in August 1955, the revised lens holder much later, in December 1959. The later lens holder will accept both the M8 and the 18-5 lenses but you will only have it if you have a projector with serial number 467221 or later.

Rob

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2008 07:59 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, thank you, good to know.

I will check the number on it.

Claus.

--------------------

Anton Juan-Jorge Caro
Junior

- posted January 26, 2008 02:02 PM      Profile for Anton Juan-Jorge Caro   Author's Homepage   Email Anton Juan-Jorge Caro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
May I ask you if you have a manual for the Bolex M8 to send to me a copy?
I have no idea how to put the film to make a projection...
I noticed that maybe everything is Ok. But when I switch off the projector but it is still powered, there is a crack in a minute or two. Is this thing dangerous for the projector?
Sorry for the spam and off-topic, but I did not want to write a new topic only for my fabulous experience with 8 mm...
Anton

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC