8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » green autothread lever wont stay down on 1200HD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: green autothread lever wont stay down on 1200HD
Eric Baucher
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2008 05:25 PM      Profile for Eric Baucher   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Baucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I realize I can just hold it down till the film clears the path. but can this be fixed? I have been told the mechanism is not entirely mechanical. thanks!

|  IP: Logged

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2008 04:03 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Eric,

Here is the procedure from the Instruction Manual:

"Depress green auto thread lever until it locks. This lever will release when film reaches take-up reel. To manually release, press auto thread lever. Advance motor switch clockwise to (dot) position, then to F after motor starts. Insert film leader into the auto thread slot as indicated by the red arrow. When film reaches the take-up reel, the auto thread lever will release automatically".

I have found that, for some reason, if you don't follow this procedure exactly, the lever doesn't always lock down - so I always do as the book says, and it works perfectly every time.

If this isn't the case with your machine, I guess it's one for Kev.

Good luck,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 23, 2008 04:01 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Its possible that the mechanism (solenoid) has gone out of position.
The only other thing I have seen is when the rear leaf switch has permamnently stayed on which then stops the lever locking down. You would tend to smell a sort of varnish smell from the machine as the solenoid would tend to get quite hot.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2008 06:43 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric, I had the very same thing with the top green lever on my ST1200D a few years ago. If you still have the problem, e-mail me and i'll e-mail you a pic and tell you what I did to fix it. Very easy and it worked for me, may work for you. [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2008 01:38 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric,
I had the same fault on a old projector. GP deluxe I think it's called.
Comparing the mechanism to my GS800 I realized they were similar, and I also could easily see what was wrong.

The green plastic lever comes off unscrewing one screw. On the backside of it there is a U-shaped metal plate. This plate is attached with one screw, and unscrewing it allows for some adjustment of this plate.

The "U" engages a "pin" and pushes this pin down towards the lens. On the older projector i got this pin was bent so pushing the green plastic never pushed the pin far enough down.

I simply bent the pin back into place, and adjusted the "U"-plate on the back of the green plastic. Now it engages and works like a charm.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2008 10:49 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly what I did KNUT.... [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Eric Baucher
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2008 07:27 PM      Profile for Eric Baucher   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Baucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks so much, I'll try doing that. Its great how helpfull everyone tries to be on this board!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC