8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Take-up reel problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Take-up reel problem
Richard Ford
Junior

- posted January 22, 2008 10:37 AM      Profile for Richard Ford   Email Richard Ford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone
The other day found a bell & Howell 8mm/super 8 456 autoload projector at my grandmother's house, along with some films.
When i load the film, it plays fine. But when the take up reel picks up all it's slack, it tightens the film too much and it stops feeding, resulting in a burnt frame [Frown]
The instruction manual specifies to use only the take-up reel supplied with the projector, and that's what I did (though the reel i found in the case looks different than the one in the manual)
Most of the films i have are on 3" spools
I'm totally new to this, so any insight would be appreciated
-thanks

|  IP: Logged

Richard Ford
Junior

- posted January 22, 2008 06:11 PM      Profile for Richard Ford   Email Richard Ford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the take-up reel drive mechanism supposed to have a little slippage, like the front? mine doesn't.
Could it just be that i have the wrong size reel?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 22, 2008 06:54 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Richard,

Welcome aboard!

To me it sounds like your supply reel is actually dragging, when you are in "Forward", does it turn freely?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Richard Ford
Junior

- posted January 22, 2008 07:00 PM      Profile for Richard Ford   Email Richard Ford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Supply reel turns very freely, and the pick-up reel does not
edit:
i just tried running some film through without the use of a take up reel, and it ran through just fine (though i don't like this pile of film)
another thing i just noticed is that the film runs smoother (and more like real motion) in reverse, is reverse meant to be faster than forward, or is there some kind of strain in forward? (or am i insane?)
Is the take up reel supposed to have this much resistance? Is there a way to change the resistance?
thanks for the help

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 22, 2008 07:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,

In forward motion the take up reel is being driven by the innards of the machine and pulling the supply reel by film tension. Since in this direction it is geared into the drive, it won't turn freely by hand.

Reverse and forward projection are the same speeds. Fast forward and rewind are another matter.

--------------------

Richard Ford
Junior

- posted January 22, 2008 08:56 PM      Profile for Richard Ford   Email Richard Ford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the take up reel on my projector plays no part in feeding the film, it feeds through fine without it. So I don't see why the take up reel doesn't have a little give to it like the feed reel.
My take up reel also moves about twice as fast as my feed reel [Frown]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 22, 2008 10:20 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both reels usually have some kind of a clutch mechanism. This allows the reels to "stall" when the film tension becomes too high. It also allows for the drive speed to remain constant even though the reels are always changing in rotational speed.

I don't know your machine, but on the ones I do know this is two contacting disks with a cork lining on one of them spring loaded so that the rotation of one causes the rotation of the other.

Is it possible your take-up clutch is somehow stuck?

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC