8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Keystone Comedy - Stepping On The Gas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Keystone Comedy - Stepping On The Gas
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 23, 2008 09:12 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Collectors Club release of "Stepping On The Gas - A Keystone Comedy." It's about a road race.

I cannot find any reference to this silent title on any web site, nor is it mentioned in the Mack Sennett book by Simon Louvish.

Does anybody know if this is its original title, or has it been changed somewhere along the way?

I have another Collectors Club release called "Man-Eater At Large" and have now discovered that its correct title is "The Lion's Whiskers" (1925), so perhaps Collectors Club had a habit of changing titles?

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Sanders
Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2008 10:00 AM      Profile for Jonathan Sanders   Email Jonathan Sanders   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I don't have the Collectors Club release, I think it may be LIZZIES OF THE FIELD (1924) with Billy Bevan. Is it the one about the rival garages who literally pull their customers in, climaxing in a road race where all the cars finish up going down a hill, then up in the air and crashing to the ground?

Collectors Club (like many other 8mm companies) did often change titles, especially for abridged versions, though the 16mm copies they used as masters may already have been changed.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 23, 2008 11:27 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done, Jonathan!

You are quite right. Two rival garages, The Black Cat and The Red Dog vie for business and in one sequence one garage tries to tow away a car which the other garage is working on ...... the car stretches continually until it snaps in two.

Yes, the cars come down an incline and smash into each other at the bottom, the later cars bouncing up into the air. A lot of these sequences were used by Philip Jenkinson to create his 10-minute short "Tribute to Mack Sennett" which was sold new on 16mm sound by Watsofilms of Coventry.

We can always trust an 8mm Forum member to come up with the goods!

Thank you.

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 23, 2008 12:10 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Corr, that brings back memories Maurice. My first ever collectors club was Stepping on da Gas and it was advertised in the papers as your first film free when you signed up with collectors club. Lots of nostalgia for me here and I still have piles of CC films, and although the quality was variable they made super 8 and Standard 8 films very affordable at that time when I was just starting work in the 70’s.

Perhaps the best bit was when they started doing sound Super 8 films and even features at a lower price than most. Sure you got what you paid for, but some nice titles became available including White Zombie and other squeaky early sound films. All my CC films still project perfectly and the stripe is still stuck on the film.

Can you tell I am a fan of Collectors Club yet?

Very best
Lee.

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2008 02:40 PM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
STEPPING ON THE GAS.

REPARTO: ROBERT LITTLEFIELD, JEROMELA GASSE, HARRY BELMORE, KENNETH McDONALD, CLIFFORD COOK, MILBURN MORANTE, CLARA HORTON, MADELINE SHAEFFER, GEORGIE O'DELL, HELEN BURRUWS AND MILTON FAHMEY.

STORY AND PRODUCED: J. C. COOK.

DIRECTED: HARRY MOODY.

DETALLE: SE VE PLACA FIJA EN IDIOMA INGLES.

(U.S.A./16mm/BLANCO Y NEGRO/SIN SONIDO)

AÑO: 1920

DURACIÓN: 17'59"

CÓDIGO: F-935

Hi, Maurice Would this be of any help

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 23, 2008 04:24 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is LIZZIES OF THE FIELD, as I check Gil O' Gara's "Silent Eight", a massive checklist of shorts released in Super/Std 8 between 1960-1985

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 24, 2008 02:40 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alex

Thanks for your research. As you see it is "Lizzies Of The Field."

The main title was obviously changed although all the inter-titles are original. They have Mack Sennett across the top and bottom of the title and after the "spoken" words is "PatheExchange."

My grateful thanks to everybody for their help.

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2008 05:29 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, what is the Silent Eight checklist? Is it on line or a book?

David

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 24, 2008 08:24 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a huge check-list, not sure if Gil published it or if available on-line. Lost touch with him via email. the work is stupendous, listing practically everything from the obscure little companies especially

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC