8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » EUMIG MARK S O&M Mystery solved!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EUMIG MARK S O&M Mystery solved!!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 23, 2008 11:37 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many times I have written about my Eumig having a problem, and I finally figured out what it is, though I'm not sure as to what I can do about it.

I was observing the claw mechanism again, I thought, off the top of my head, "Why don't I look at the claw mechanism's on my other projectors?"

I did, and found, on all the other projectors, that along with that claw mechanism, there is a "pin" on the end of the claw, (I'll call it a pin), which the claw on my Eumig, doesn't have one.

No doubt, at some point, when I took off the main pieces that film film passes through to clean them, I somehow caused the "pin" on the claw to snap off, as the claw was unfortunately in it's most extended position.

The question is, can I take the "pin" off of another projector that doesn't work, and perhaps solder it onto that claw on the Eumig? It seems like my only option.

Any advice?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 23, 2008 12:02 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi.
I’ve had a few M/O Eumigs over the years and if your machine was the same as mine it should have 2 claws. If you look at the claw head back you can see where the two claws sit.

I purchased a Eumig M/O in the 90’s with a broken claw (PIN..The very thin bit at the end which goes into the films sprocket hole) and the projector engineer changed the claw arm, which goes parallel to the cam.

Now then, these Eumigs use a very thin almost needle thick claw and it may be possible to remove the claw arm, drill a very small hole to fit in a steel pin head suitable cut and shaped. Getting parts for these today may not be possible so it may be time to find a model engineer who can lend a hand.

If you can look at another Eumig you can compare your missing claw to one in situ.

Best
Lee.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 23, 2008 03:00 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,
Your best bet is probably to get hold of an old 'clunker' Eumig 800 series projector and remove the claw arm from that projector and replace it into the O&M. But don't ask me how to do it - it looks like a daunting job,- not one that I would like to tackle. Then again, it might be easier to just move the few components (optical sound head, sound head switch and electronics asociated with the optical sound head on the O&M into another (all magnetic sound) Eumig 800 and turn that machine into a new O&M .

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 23, 2008 11:29 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know Paul, that's not such a far fetched idea. When I bought my Eumig Mark S, it came with a whole extra replacement sound heads assembly. So, would that Optical and Magnetic assembly actually fit in other Eumig's such as the 800? (as I have alsdo noticed that many of the bodies for these older Eumig's are relatively the same.)

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 24, 2008 09:36 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I think the basic aluminum chassis of the Eumig 800's has all the punched out holes and space provision for all the upgrade options, so I would think that 'rebuilding' an 800 with the additional items for the optical track reader would work out just fine. Might be a whole lot easier than trying to replace the claw.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 24, 2008 12:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We'll see what happens with it. Heck, if I have to, I can take the existing sound assembly out of the now non-working projector if need be, have an extra.

I wouldn't even bother with this projector except that it is truly the most gentle to films projector that I have ever used.

How oftn have these 800 Eumig's come up on ebay I wonder?

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 24, 2008 03:46 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the O&M versions are pretty rare. I would love to see photos of Eumig's optical head arrangement and how it compare with the Elmo design. How good is the optical playback on this machine?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 25, 2008 10:00 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's another thing about that model Paul, I've never had that sharp of a playback of optical, blended with good low range. I have other projectors.
The Yashica still actually runs, but the optical sound is somewhat muffled.

The Sankyo has optical but is incredibly quiet, very low volume, and the projector scratches horribly. I don't even use that one anymore.

... but that Eumig, great booming optical sound, no warble, great high's and lows, excellent.

Your right, they are rather rare.

... besides all of that, when you have nearly 40 optical sound super 8 features, (not to mention short subjects), you need an excellent projector, though I do admit, I'd love to have one of those ELMO mag and opt num bers.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 25, 2008 12:35 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like Eumig had a really good optical sound system design. Not really suprising - I have always thought that the Eumig's had a superior film path and much better sound stabilization (less wow) than Elmo's. I wonder why they dropped the optical sound option on the later 900 series machines. Today I dragged out my Eumig 810 Sonomatic which I have not run for a while. What a sweet little machine! Makes the GS1200 look like a monster!

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2008 12:48 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had hoped to email you since nothing I have to say really has any bearing on the discussion, but I just wanted to react to your query about the Eumig m & O... I was so lucky a few years ago. I think it was Willoughby Peerless or one of the other New York firms who advertised in the back of Modern Photography magazine. They were clearing out their film related things..and offered a brand new Eumig M & O for something around 89 dollars. The had the Sonomatic 824 D for about a hundred. I got them both. I can verify that the M & O , on the one optical print I have, sounds really good...none of that Super 8 clatter you get on mag tracks....good loud steady sound. The machine itself is quiet and steady picture. I have used it many times for Mag prints and that's good , too. The 824 HQ has super sound as well..and that convenient on and off switch so you can keep it plugged in all the time. And yes...it does look rather compact, almost dinky compared to the elmos. I use it mostly for standard 8 sound.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 25, 2008 01:16 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gary,
Any chance you can post some pics of the M & O's optical sound head area? I would love to see what their design looks like?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2008 03:57 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i doni't think my cheap camera will let me get in that close to get any detail. I'll try this weekend, if I get any time at all.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC