8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super8-projectors with pulse-sync (slave)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super8-projectors with pulse-sync (slave)
Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2008 07:15 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I tried to figure out which Super8-projectors have been available that can be used as slave-devices for pulse-sync "out of the box". So far I found:

Braun:
FP 5 (probably only at 18fps)
FP 7 (probably only at 18fps)
all Visacustic-models

Elmo:
GS 1200 (some early models only at 18fps)

Fuji:
Fujicascope Sound SH30

Are there more models?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2008 12:29 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joerg,

You can add the Elmo SP Hi-Deluxe to your list although it is only really designed to pulse sync at 18fps. I have used mine with Pedros box to good effect.

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 30, 2008 04:09 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Also the Elmo GP Deluxe. Mine will only run at 18fps but like Mikes will run with Pedros box.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2008 09:36 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

thanks for your replies. I've found some more projectors that might be pulse-sync slaves as well (at least if google is translating some Japanese webpages correctly):
Elmo SP-A, Elmo ST-1200D, Fuji Fujicascope M15, Fuji Fujicascope Deluxe M25, Fuji Fujicascope M50 and Fuji Fujicascope MX70

Can anyone confirm this?

Jörg

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2008 04:28 PM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a complete Fujica Puls-sync System.
It comes with the Fujica MX-70, but it also works with the Fujicascope MX-50.
And it also works with the Fujicascope SH-30.
I just bought one on eBay and waiting for it to arrive.

I'm not sure about the Elmo ST-1200.
I don't think it has pulse-sync capability.

Bernd Ackermann
Junior

- posted February 05, 2008 03:02 PM      Profile for Bernd Ackermann   Author's Homepage   Email Bernd Ackermann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am running my Elmo SP Hi-Deluxe controlled by sync pulses at 16.7 fps without problems. (The pulses are derived from my camcorder to allow for digitizing 8 mm films without flicker.)

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2008 08:38 PM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Elmo ST1200HD owner's manual says this is possible w/ the sync box at both speeds.
Cheers,

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2008 04:48 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to dig up this (oldish) thread, but I was curious about a point that Kevin Faulkner made.

Kevin, in your earlier post you said "Also the Elmo GP Deluxe. Mine will only run at 18fps but like Mikes will run with Pedros box."

I'm curious to know why this is - is it a mechanical limitation? Would there be any way of modifying the projector even if it is quite drastic and requires some fairly major work so that you could sync it reliably at 24/25fps?

If you've got any ideas about this Kevin I would be very grateful if you could share them

Bart

[ June 17, 2008, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: Bart Smith ]

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 17, 2008 05:27 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Bart, I hadnt given that a thought. I use my GS for any sync pulse needs so have not investigated the silent machines and what makes them tick.

I would really need to see some circuit diagrams to see what the limitations are.

Anyone have any circuit diagrams for these older silent machines from Elmo?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2008 10:07 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the answer Kevin, I guess I'll have to wait for the one I just bought on ebay to arrive and see where I get with it...

Bart

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2008 04:51 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I received my Elmo GP Deluxe from ebay, but am a bit puzzled by one aspect of it - maybe someone here can enlighten me, as I've never used a projector with pulse-sync before and I don't yet have a pulse-sync box of any kind to play with.

The manual seems to suggest that with the switches on the back set in certain positions it won't operate.

On page 3 it says "In case of silent projection, the ESS switches on the back of the projector should be set at positions 1 & 4. If they are set at other positions than 1 & 4 the projector does not operate for silent projection."

In the troubleshooting section on page 15 it suggests that a reason that the "projector does not operate" may be "if the ESS switches are set at position 1 & 4".

Point number one is that these 2 statements seem to be completely contradictory - or am I just missing something really obvious?

Point number two is these statements seem to imply that if I set the switches in the wrong position (without a pulse-sync box) the projector should not operate. But what I find is that it runs fine regardless of what position the switches are in.

So am I being dumb, or is the projector broken???

V. Confused of Islington....

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 20, 2008 07:06 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I will fire mine up over the weekend and check this out for you.

Kev.

--------------------

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2008 07:43 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kevin, that would be very useful for me.

Bart

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2008 04:49 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevin,

Sorry to drag up such an old thread. Did you ever get a chance to check yours out?

Bart

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 25, 2008 06:16 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Bart but I forgot about it but will check it out for you when I get a moment.

Kev.

--------------------

Bart Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2008 11:20 AM      Profile for Bart Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Bart Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would be much appreciated if you could.

I'll do you some lamps at trade prices if that sweetens it for you!

Bart

--------------------
www.bluecinetech.co.uk

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2010 06:28 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I've added the information from this thread to the Super8wiki:
http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Synchronizing_sound_and_image

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2010 09:08 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great news.
But how can I synchronize my ST1200HD with the PC as slave ?
Does anyone have an idea ?

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2010 10:45 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001956#000000

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2010 11:36 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad to see this thread dug up; very informative.

One question: I have a couple of regular DIN five-pin plugs (your standard 'stereo-in and out' and ground) from my old hi-fi gear, and physically, they don't fit in the sync port of the GS-1200. The pin-and-notch combo doesn't go in, although to a casual eye, they should.

Which kinds of DIN plugs are used for this if they're not the old-fashioned stereo interconnect type?

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2010 01:46 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joerg,

perhaps I did not read the thread correctly, but it is an article about synchronizing an GS and not an ST...

I know Joerg N.'s construction - he's a friend of mine [Big Grin]

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2010 04:00 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

all Elmos that can be used as a slave in sync-sound-setup are using "ESS" (ElmoSoundSync - or is it ElmoSyncSound?) and hence work the same. So if James' manual for the Elmo ST1200HD is correct, there shouldn't be any differences between the GS1200 and the ST1200HD. (Even though you might also need the "sync box" mentioned by James.)

Edit: I just contacted someone who owns an Elmo ST1200HD. Result: The Elmo ST1200HD can only be used as master in two-band-sync-sound-system and hence does NOT have ESS. [Frown]
I've changed the Super8wiki accordingly.

Jörg

[ February 05, 2010, 05:49 AM: Message edited by: Joerg Polzfusz ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC