8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Rectimascope Lens (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Rectimascope Lens
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2008 08:13 AM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a Rectimascope Lens from Steve Osborne and I wanted to report how amazing it is. I have never been happy with my scope projection and I realize now it was because of the lesser quality lenses I have used over the years. The picture with the Rectimascope is so sharp and bright even at the four corners. I just ordered two scope films (Pearl Harbor & Gladiator) from Derann because I got so excited. I want to particularly thank Alan Rik for alerting me to the existence of this lens. I highly recommend it!

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 03, 2008 11:04 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is Rectimascope lense. Brian, could you clarify for me please.

Thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2008 03:02 AM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rectimascope is a CS lens manufactured in former East Germany (GDR) by "Optische Werke Rathenow". There are different versions for 8/16 and 35mm projection. For me the Rectimascope is first choice for CS. Sharp picture to all edges. My Kowa 8Z gives a slightly brighter picture, but there are always some problems with focusing.

Rectimascope CS lenses often appear on ebay Germany (about 70 Euros). Wittner Cinetec bought the last new ones from Rathenow after they closed, you can get one in mint condition for 198 Euros:

Wittner Rectimascope

Here is a pic from ffr-film:

FFR Rectimascope

Joerg

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2008 04:52 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, this is terribly off topic, but when ever I see the word Rectimascope it reminds me of that old “two old ladies over heard on a bus” gag:

Ethel: How did your Bert get on at the hospital with his eye appointment?

Flo: Alright, they gave him all sorts of tests and then told him he’s got a “Misplaced Rectum”.

Mike [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 04, 2008 05:48 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know...

I resisted the tempation to say something like that!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2008 06:18 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

there are some lenses that are labelled "Rathenower Optische Werke" while others are labelled "VEB Rathenower Optische Werke" (VEB = VolksEigener Betrieb = people-owned enterprise).
According to these pages
http://www.optikrathenow.de/optik/de/ge_a02.html
http://www.rathenow.de/fileadmin/dateien/PDF/Allgemein/Geschichte_der_Optik.pdf
there have been several optical companies in Rathenow. Two of them have been "Emil Busch AG" and "Nitsche & Günther". Both companies' factories got destroyed in the second world war. And so they re-started production as a single company ("Rathenower Optische Werke m.b.H." on March 8, 1946). The company got turned into the "VEB Rathenower Optische Werke" in 1948. In 1966 the VEB lost its independence and became a daughter of "Carl Zeiss Jena".
In the meantime the other optical companies in Rathenow turned into the "PGH „J.H.A. Duncker“" (to be renamed into "VEB Augenoptik Hermann Duncker" later).
In 1980 the "VEB Augenoptik Hermann Duncker" and the "VEB Rathenower Optische Werke" turned into a single company called "VEB Rathenower Optische Werke „Hermann Duncker“" (still a daughter of "Carl Zeiss Jena").
In 1989 the "VEB Rathenower Optische Werke „Hermann Duncker“" became a company of its own. In 1990 the "VEB" turned into a "GmbH" ("limited"). In 1991 it got splitted into three sub-divisions. In 1992 the Rathenower Optische Werke GmbH got dissolved and splitted into several smaller companies that got sold to different companies.

As for the anamorphots: There are at least 5 different models:
http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Anamorphic_Lenses#2x_Anamorphic_attachments
The quality of my Rectimascop 48/2x is great (even compared to Kowa and Isco). Unfortunately it looks like they're only suited for projection. (I haven't tried it myself, both some friends of me did and ended up having a lot of problems (reflections, no sharp images, ...) . )

Jörg

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 05, 2008 11:40 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew that you would like it! I feel its MUCH better than the Kowa 8Z. When I had both I A/B'd it and there was no comparison. The Rectimacscope was sharp from corner to corner. The Kowa was always slightly off..and I have to tip off my hat to Doug Mr. Moderator who introduced me to the wonderful lens. He demoed it with "Master and Commander" and I was stunned at how great Scope looked. Then I went home and boxed up the little Kowa..... [Smile]

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2008 02:58 PM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Alan. My 8Z will also appear on ebay next time.

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2009 03:55 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just bought a RECTIMASCOP 48/2x scope lens. I beleive it was a great buy. I have a Super 8mm Bell & Howell DCT Filmosonic projector. How can I make of buy a proper and safe stand for the lens ?
Thank you in advance
Antonis

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2009 04:57 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ffr-film.de/index.php?page=anamorphotenhalter&language=eng
http://wittner-cinetec.com/katalog/07_vorfu/e_halter.php
http://wittner-cinetec.com/aktuell/s8mm_zub.php?type=s8_objek
http://www.srb-griturn.com/anamorphic-lens-adaptors-754-p.asp

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2009 08:18 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar situation with the Rectimascope. I bought one from Steve Osborne of the Reel Image....and 1....that thing is one huge , heavy monster...and comes in a huge , heavy monster wooden box. I have since deemed it the Raptor lens...or the Brontomascope....2. it is the clearest , easiest to focus scope lens I've ever seen.
It was so good, I saved up and bought another for my other main Elmo..so I could have changeovers. Just a great, but expensive lens. I am now trying to figure some way to be able to use it with my 16mm machines....which are still stuck with the Kowa 16D....

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2009 10:48 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joerg and Gary
Thank you you for the info and the links you provided. They were very helpful.
Antonis

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2010 07:58 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if these Rectimascop lenses have a reasonable minimum focusing distance? I saw one advertised on the German Ebay where a minimum of 6 meters was mentioned. That is too much for me...

- Rob

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2010 04:22 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just bought one me too.
Thanks Antonis.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2010 06:17 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WAHT A GREAT SCOPE LENS!
Used it tonight for the very first time.
So happy about this.

--------------------

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2010 06:45 PM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I told you! It is f**king great lens!

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2010 06:50 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
It's even more! It's FANTASTIC!

--------------------

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2010 04:52 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gian,

Congratulations to this wonderful scope lens.
I have two of them, too [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
and told everyone how sharp it is.
And the re-justage is easy, too.

Regards,
Michael

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2010 04:58 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's why the forum is great! [Smile]
Michael told me about this great lens, I told Gian about this great lens ... ... ... and go on , go on!
Thank you Michael!

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2010 05:03 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... And I've told Hans, who is having one (and I'm probably having a second one me too eh eh eh).
Great job, Antonis and Michael.

Micha, where have you been? I was quite worried.
How are you?
Hope all is fine.
FOOTLOOSE is no longer a dream eh eh eh... [Wink]

--------------------

Christian Schmeer
Junior

- posted December 22, 2010 10:16 AM      Profile for Christian Schmeer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
A few months ago, I bought the RECTIMASCOP 48/2x lens on eBay thinking that I would be able to use it as an anamorphic adapter (like my Ishico Proskar lens) on my DSLR lenses (I have a Canon 5D Mark II). I ended up not bothering to get a stepping ring or anything because the rectimascop seems to be very blurry/distorted. Does the lens need adjustment or is the rectimascop just not suitable for filming on a DSLR?
(is anyone successfully using it for that?)

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2010 03:45 PM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try again... Does anyone know if these Rectimascop lenses have a reasonable minimum focusing distance? I saw one advertised on the German Ebay where a minimum of 6 meters was mentioned. That is too much for me.

- Rob

Hauke Lippert
Junior

- posted December 23, 2010 02:51 AM      Profile for Hauke Lippert   Email Hauke Lippert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob,
I recently bought a Rectimascope 48/2x scope lens from Wittner, Germany an use it for a projection distance about 4 meters (with Beaulieu 708EL) - no problems in terms of focussing, sharpness! Although the scale begins with "6 meters" you can turn the ring far below that point to get a sharp image. Wittner sells cleaned and adjusted rectimascope lenses and they are not much more expensive than getting it from Ebay. Mine is in perfect condition.
BTW: this is my first post in this forum and I just started with collecting super 8 scope prints.
Regards
Hauke

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2010 04:41 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Hauke! I'll look around for a 48/2.
Scope is great. Especially in B&W. I recently found a B&W scope print of the film noir 'Girl Hunters' in S8. There is very few B&W scope films in S8 that I know of. In fact the only other one I have seen is the David Lynch film 'Elephant Man'. Other titles anyone?

- Rob

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2010 07:44 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used my Brontomascope lens as close as four feet...no problem.....and as far as 50 feet. the darned thing is remarkable.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC