8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Grease for projectors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Grease for projectors
Bill Parsons
Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2008 12:46 PM      Profile for Bill Parsons   Email Bill Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have doing a bit of research over the last couple of months for suitable inexpensive grease for projectors that will not harm the plastic cogs etc. I have discovered Molykote 33M this is a white grease, appears to work fine and not over expensive, it is mainly used for food mixers! But don’t let this put you off. There maybe a grease expert out there that thinks there is good reason it should not be used, but it works for me.
Available from www.silmid.com

Bill.

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 03, 2008 01:34 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see you back on the forum Bill and thanks for that info.

A lot of people use the wrong grease and dont appreciate the fact that it can make the plastic go brittle.

Nice one, thanks [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 03, 2008 02:05 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3-IN-ONE professional WHITE LITHIUM GREASE.
Available from Halfords, etc.
I find this does the job very nicely.

-Mike

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2008 03:22 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi guys, I never applied any 'grease' to my machines...should I? Does it make the projector run smoother, quieter, or both? Where exactly should it be applied?, and how much? thanks [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 03, 2008 06:07 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, its a case of both although I think the main reason with plastic rollers is to quieten them down more than anything. If you still have plenty of grease on your cogs etc then its probably wise to leave well alone.

Bill, correct me if I'm wrong.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2008 01:51 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually a silicone grease is the way to go too. Check the label and/or the data sheet. It should state that it is compatible with or suitable for nylon/plastic gears.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2008 03:39 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Suppose I should lay off engine oil in future then! Thanks for the tip Bill.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Bill Parsons
Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2008 12:28 PM      Profile for Bill Parsons   Email Bill Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I agree with Kevin the grease on the plastic gears is mostly to quieten them down, but the grease on the worm drive on the older machines sometimes gets hard and can cause the machine to slow down a bit until it warms up, particularly on the ST1200 etc, I usually remove the old grease and re apply, I think Kevin may have mentioned this problem before.
Interesting we all have different ideas on what grease to use.
Bill.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2008 01:08 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a particular instance where a grease has been known to contribute to brittleness?

Jeremy Day
Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2008 09:15 PM      Profile for Jeremy Day   Email Jeremy Day   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had planned on using Super Lube. I did a general search on Google and found that it was fine for use with plastic. I purchased it through an eBay seller that sells film supplies (can't remember who now).

My question was: what should I use grease for and what should I use projector oil for? Anyone? I assume the grease is for the cogs but what specific parts do you oil?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC