8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind Soundtrack HELP!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind Soundtrack HELP!
James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2008 08:00 PM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a 2/3rds decent 400' Close Encounters digest. (Love it!)The picture is pretty good, if but worn, but the soundtrack is hammered in several spots. (Drops out really badly.) I thought it was my projector but it played the same in 3 different projectors. I copied the main track to the balance track to fill it out some and as a back up but it didn't really solve the problem. So my plea for help is if I could entreat one of you who has this film w/ a good soundtrack to record it for me and email me the .WMA (I say .WMA as they compress much smaller at much higher quality. 48k is sufficiant.)
Many thanks,
[Smile]

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 07, 2008 08:30 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might also want to check to see how the magnetic stripe looks in those sections. It could be that some of it is coming off or is missing. Its happened before on some titles that I own.

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2008 02:11 AM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sound stripe seems intact from the cleaning I gave it. I'll have to go over it more throughly. I've a great deal of experience w/ magnetic sound recording from back in my studio days. I'd describe the damage to the sound track as magnetic drop out as if someone left them film foolishly setting on top of a loudspeaker. If you have this film and could email me a WMA/MP3 of the sound track it would be greatly appriciated.
Cheers,

--------------------
James E. Stubbs

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 22, 2008 07:28 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, I have the track but since it was digitized in sync with video, it runs at 25fps. Can you sync at that speed? If so, give me your email and I'll send an mp3.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2008 12:02 AM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc, I tried to email you via the board but it said the server was blocking access. See if you can email me via the board then can email you back.
Merci,
James

--------------------
James E. Stubbs

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 24, 2008 02:16 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, try:

jmtoussaint (at) claranet (dot) fr

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2008 01:48 AM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc, I've sent you an email, but just in case mine is james_e69 at comcast dot net.
Merci,

--------------------
James E. Stubbs

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC