8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo GS1200 And Cement Joins

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo GS1200 And Cement Joins
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 12, 2008 04:16 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just been reading the Movie Maker review (March 1980) of the Elmo GS1200 and they were very impressed with the (Kev's?) projector, although they did have a reservation about it having a tendency to be unkind to films with cement joins, in the lower loop and entry to the sound section.

In their sum-up they said:- "We are in touch with Elmo in Nagoya to see if anything can be done about this."

Does anyone know if anything did happen regarding this comment? Do present owners have trouble with cement joins, or does everybody now use tape splices?

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 12, 2008 07:47 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many moons ago I used to project with a GS1200 Xenon at a film festival each year and can confirm it was blinkin shocking when cement went through it. Bearing in mind we had something around 300 people in the audience with cinema sound, amplified the sound was full of warble & wow when cement splices were used. Of course everyone looked at the projectionist at the rear of the auditorium to blame.

I found the Wurker stereo splices best and these still have no effect on sound from the same projector today, which gives perfecto sound repro. Cement on the GS1200 is a bit of a no go.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2008 10:54 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible that the splice was not ground down enough my ST1200HD works fine with cement splices or maybe the splice gets caught on the gate going through? just some thoughts

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2008 02:09 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys Would this have anything to do with the film path lay out.?Andy.

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2008 04:28 PM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the article refers to a problem known from the first generation GS1200 with forward loop. The loop is very narrow which can be a problem with cement splices. For later models, Elmo changed the film path to a more "splice friendly" backward loop. Maybe Kevin knows when the change was introduced...?

Joerg

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC