8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Pearl Harbor ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pearl Harbor ?
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2008 09:27 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just screened my Pearl Harbor scope extract from Derann and the quality is outstanding... but there's one problem. I ordered a new print and there are two splices in the middle of the reel. I was wondering if anyone else has had that problem with this title. I can't imagine why there would have to be splices on a 400' reel?! Even though they are neat glue splices they are annoying.

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2008 02:32 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lab film stock join perhaps. Even get them on 35mm theatrical prints.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2008 02:29 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just found a third splice on the Pearl Harbor print. Also, the quality changes at one of the splices to a more green hue color-wise. I'm very curious if anyone else's arrived new this way...

[ February 17, 2008, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: Brian Hendel ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 17, 2008 03:43 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little surprised to hear of it being new with splices, i never ran into that with Derann's.

Is it common to get splices in a brandnew print? I honestly wouldn't know.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2008 04:19 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is not uncommon to have a new print with a lab film stock splice in it, but never found three in a 400ft reel. Usually Derann will point out that fact about a lab splice being present, if they are aware of it, of course. I have had a couple of feature prints with a lab film stock splice, but they have always run perfectly well. The splice was only noticed when passing through a cleaning cloth and it could be felt, but not noticed on the screen.
I would consult Derann about it as their customer service is second to non in my humble opinion.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2008 09:31 AM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sent an email to Gary at Derann about the print problem and I received a prompt and satisfactory response. Rather than send it back, he offered me a fair partial credit towards my next order. Yes, Derann is always quick to solve any customer problems.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 19, 2008 05:39 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3 splices in a 400ft sounds excessive to me, but then I find it annoying to have a splice in something as short as a trailer and I've had these too. Ged told me at Blackpool that the lab's current owners are obsessive about every foot being accounted too, which probably explains a crazy situation with short cuts being joined together. I've also had the problem of green/substandard frames and light flashes, etc, close to the splice, so this stupid lab policy doesn't even enable staff to remove conspicuously poor frames that damage the quality of the end product. I recently had to return 3 pop promos all with a splice in exactly the same place, and all of them had some virtually black frames on one side of it!!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC