8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Optimum screen size

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Optimum screen size
David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2008 02:22 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having read several times with much interest and enjoyment, the posts on members' screening rooms, there seems to be a wide variation in screen sizes, which does not necessarily relate to the size of the room.

Therefore I am led to ask if anyone uses any particular criteria for deciding upon a size of screen, or is it arbitrary.

As an example, - and some may laugh at this, - my room is 24ft long and the screen I use most is only 1 metre wide. There are several reasons for this.

1. A larger screen, say 2 metres wide results in a quarter of the illumination. (Inverse square law)

2. The 2 metre wide screen results in 4 times poorer definition. (Inverse square law again)

3. Audiences have complained that the bigger screen is too much like sitting in the front row of the cinema and have to keep 'scanning' the picture back & forth to see what is going on at the edges. (Peripheral vision is more effective with a narrower field of view)

It's all very well to walk into a screening room and be impressed by a large expanse of white, but is it the best for actually viewing?

Therefore I'd be very interested to hear what others think, and their reasons.

Cheers,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 20, 2008 03:54 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and be impressed by a large expanse of white,
David, I am really honest that I have that feelling. That's why I made a very large screen at my theatre. However, for 8mm screening I move the left and right mask as well as the upper one to make a smaller screen. This is due to the maximum screen size can be produced by 1.3 lens from 4 meter distance. On the other hand, this set up also helps me showing film in enough brightness.

But for DVD screening I will be using all screen area (1.5 x 3m) for widescreen presentation, since the LCD projector can have a better resolution and brightness in this set up compared to my 8mm's (sorry guys.... [Wink] ).

The viewing distance between the audience and the screen is about 2m. Some say that it is just to close, but I just love to have a big size one [Razz] Like in the IMAX theatre [Eek!]

cheers,

For

--------------------
Winbert

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2008 05:20 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Winbert, I see where you're coming from, particularly in regard to DVD and LCD etc.

Perhaps I should have made it clearer that I am referring only to 8mm, Super 8 & 16mm actual film projection; - - - though the inverse square law still applies!

Thanks for your input.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2008 06:11 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For Super-8, I tend to go with a throw of about 18ft. producing a picture of about 5-6ft across (1.1 lens, 150W lamp.)

For 16mm, I use the whole wall to get an image (flat and 'scope)that's 9.5ft wide (1.3 lens, 350W Xenon.)

Best,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 20, 2008 01:58 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David
There are all kind of theories the one I use and its a rough one eg if the screen is say 5ft wide then the first row of seating is not closer than 10 foot from the screen, some say the distance from the screen to the front row should be no less than two and a half times the width of the screen, although for scope that is not practical. For a room thats 24ft long 6-7 ft wide should be fine you can always experiment. The biggest factor is the projectors you are using, light output, the lens and the quality of the films.

Graham. [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 21, 2008 09:49 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the actual dimensions of my screen,

(It's a large silk bedsheet with two long wood dowels that it's attached to. When I want to watch movies it is rolled down and voila!)

My main problem is that I need to upgrade to a slightly brighter lamp, as I enjoy projecting rather large.

Size, for me, depends on the sharpness of the print. Most of my opticals are Derann sharp, but I have some older generation prints, like Niles films "My Man Godfrey" that are marginally sharp and so I don't tend to project those as large.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC