8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Metal Super 8mm Reels

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Metal Super 8mm Reels
Jeremy Day
Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2008 11:03 AM      Profile for Jeremy Day   Email Jeremy Day   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I purchased some reels for cleaning my Super 8 films. They are metal.

The problem is as follows. The reels fit onto my viewer only on one side. The fins on the reel knobs on my Bauer viewer (identical to the ones on my projector) fit into the hole in the center of the reel on one side, but won't come out the other.

Did I purchased some specialty reels that require an additional gadget (for lack of a better word) to make the reel fit either 8mm or Super 8mm?

I don't know what 8mm cores (once again, I don't know the right word is here) look like but the centers of these reels are * on one side and o on the other. The first fits Super 8mm but the spindle won't come out of the o side.

Hope this makes sense. Any information would be enlightening. It seems as if, maybe, some type of plug would anchor on the reel . . . which currently half-fits.

Thanks,

Jeremy

|  IP: Logged

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2008 11:11 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jeremy. I've had a couple of those type of reels in the past. I solved the problem by taking the blade of a small hacksaw, aligning it with the slots that are on one side of the spool and carefully cutting a slot into the other side. Make sure that you remove all all of the sawcut residue. I did mine whilst getting my wife to hold a vacuum pipe near the hacksaw blade thus "sucking away" the debri. Hope this idea helps. Best of luck.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 20, 2008 01:52 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bell & Howell were the champions of these "one-way-reels". I also have some old Goldbergs (8mm and 16mm). Keith is suggesting the right way to go. Use a blade meant to cut through metal, though.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Jeremy Day
Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2008 03:21 PM      Profile for Jeremy Day   Email Jeremy Day   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the information guys. I'll try what you suggested.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC