8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 27, 2009 01:41 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday's show
- "The Making of Star Wars" (16mm - in order to get more acquainted with the newly acquired Elmo XP550 Xenon projector)

[ November 06, 2010, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Jean-Marc Toussaint ]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

|  IP: Logged

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2009 07:24 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Small world! We used to live at Basingstoke in the mid '70s, up at Kempshott Down, and we know the area quite well, though we weren't aware that some shots were taken at Cliddesden and Basingstoke stations themselves.

Last night I ran "Fort Algiers". 1953. Again on Standard 8, monochrome, sound, with Raymond Burr - before the days of Perry Mason and Ironside. The pre-amble and build-up to the final battle is quite cleverly portrayed; and the sequence with Yvonne De Carlo hiding the bug, and then listening in to the battle plot on the receiver in her boudoir, then getting caught by Burr, adds quite convincingly to the tension.

78 enthralling minutes of this Edward L. Alperton production.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2009 09:13 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an addition from another ex-Basingstoke man.
The line was narrow gauge and a section of the track still exists and can be seen in the middle of the Viables Roundabout (one of those that has gained Basingstoke the title "Doughnut City") on the OLD Basingstoke Bypass. Part of the inner ring road (from Winchester Road to Worting Road) is built on the line of the old track.
Martin

[ January 27, 2009, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Martin Jones ]

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2009 04:14 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Friday night,the 23th we watched LOVE ME TENDER on 16 mm,with Richard Egan,Debra Paget and Elvis Presley (he's quite good actually). Saturday,it was raining,so I showed ONE RAINY AFTERNOON (1936) with Francis Lederer and Ida Lupino and A RAINY DAY with Barney Bear,both on super 8. Monday,I did an all silent "forgotten comedians" show,a mixture of std and super,which included: Gale Henry and Billy Franey in WHO DONE IT?,Bobby Dunn in THE FAST MAILMAN,Billy Ritchie in A DAY AT THE FORCE,Charlie Joy (who?) in WHEN JEKYLL DID HYDE, Mark Jones and Sunshine Hart in FAMILY LIFE and THREE WISE GOOFS with The Tone of Fun (Fatty Voss,Fatty Carr and Fatty Alexander).

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2009 05:15 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night it was time to screen ET. I could not live without this movie! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 30, 2009 01:01 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we screened "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes" (dvd) a wonderful performance by the late Ricardo Montalaban.

[ November 06, 2010, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Jean-Marc Toussaint ]

--------------------

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2009 01:30 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we screened John Carpenter's "The Fog" on an 2,80m-Screen. Really nightmarish in a dark room ... [Wink]

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 01, 2009 02:04 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday's matinee, all 16mm:
- The Sorcerer's Apprentice (Disney)
- The Reluctant Dragon (Disney)
- The Muppet Show (Lesley Ann Warren episode)

--------------------

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2009 03:15 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beauty and the beast i watched for the first time on super8! [Smile]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

John Hourigan
Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2009 08:41 AM      Profile for John Hourigan   Email John Hourigan       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night was an evening of digests and shorts -- 400 footers of ANCHORS AWAY (with trailer) and A&C MEET THE MUMMY; and 200 footers of the just-released Dave Clark Five Pathe News short (from Classic Home Cinema), and the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2009 09:13 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday night January 31

Walt Disney's Sleeping Beauty

DVD projection AX200U

The restored newely released DVD presentation. Glorious color and good sound. Slightly letter boxed but scope ratio. Perhaps because this might have been shot on 70mm originally or even something else that narrows the height slightly.

A very enjoyable disc. And a cute story too.

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2009 09:02 AM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
last nigth i show "the ten commandments" full length feature in glorious colour,almost look like technicolor [Big Grin]

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2009 04:49 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Jose,
now that IS a classic film, I am very envious of you as I have been searching for a full length print of this film for years. Is your print Super 8 or 16mm? I heard that there were a very few full length prints released by Marketing Films on Super 8, but I have only ever seen the 3X400ft version. There are 16mm prints around but they are normally cut by TV companies with lots of scenes missing. A good theatrical print of this film is the holy grail of titles as far as I'm concerned.

Best wishes,
Paul.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2009 11:31 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monday February 2

Revenge of the Sith

DVD Projection

4th in the series of the complete Star Wars films. We have now finished the DVD selection. Next week the super 8 CinemaScope prints begin! [Big Grin]

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 03, 2009 01:30 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip, on top of the CGI Clone Wars, did you show the Gendy Tartakowsky shorts? They are the actual bridge between Ep II and Ep III.

--------------------

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2009 06:57 AM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi paul!
yes,i search fot eleven years to find my print of the ten commandments full length,finally i found it thanks to a good friend of mine that have it from his father,its a gem and my prefer feature on my collection [Smile]

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2009 09:07 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean - Marc

No, I did not show the shorts. When I play the DVD's on my big screen I run feature only. One of these days I'll start running super 8 shorts before the DVD feature. That should be fun. I actually did a test trial (the changeover was abit tricky) and liked how it was done, but I need more practice. Imagine me saying that after 30 years of changeovers in the same booth!

I also have issues with full frame coming from the DVD. It runs off the top and bottom of the screen because I push the limits on throw distance. The projector is rated at 21 feet and I am running at 25.50 feet. Seriously folks, anything from the Panny in 4 x 3 mode (1.33:1) does not fit my screen. And yes, this is a problem.

Likewise I am limited to 16 x 9 and/or 1:85 standard letterboxing for flat or scope. Now this option even pushing the limits works just dandy.

Last night, and as with all scope DVD; the image was 4 feet tall and about 11 feet wide. There were 8 inches of unused vertical screen on each far side left and right. Partly due because my screen is cut for super 8 scope which comes in at 2.66:1.

I suppose at some point I could just watch the shorts on the old fashioned TV. But even that would break the tradition.

And it really isn't feasible for me to relocate the Panny projector, as shown on screening room pictures on page 8 or 9, the Panny is somewhat permanently mounted. The way I have it hooked up and configured requires that it stays in the booth.

I am starting to consider a second video projector in the next few months, maybe by August. And this one could be more portable and could be set outside the booth to run the standard full frame flat movies.

Right now I am focused (no pun intended) on a wonderful Florida vacation coming up March 20. I do not return until May 6th. So right now for the next few weeks I'm enjoying some films before I leave.

And thank goodness I will be able to visit Paul in Orlando. At least; it helps keep the withdrawal syndrome at a minimum [Big Grin]

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2009 03:58 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all - had my first screening for over 2 years last night. A lovely 16mm scope print of "The Taking Of Pelham 1-2-3". Very enjoyable.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2009 05:18 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 Years without a film show! How did you manage to last that long without fiddling with a projector? [Big Grin]

Paul.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 04, 2009 05:44 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Stuart, Welcome to the Forum.

--------------------

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2009 05:46 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I ran my prized Silent 16mm Blackhawk print of Nosferatu. 1922 with Max Schreck - the famous one. Simply incomparable.

Earlier this week, the 1979 Werner Herzog version was screened on TV, with Klaus Kinski and Isabelle Adjani. Strangely enough it didn't have the same appeal (apart from Isabelle, of course) in that there seemed to be a distinct lack of menacing atmosphere.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2009 07:23 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys, thanks for the warm welcome. How did I last 2 years without fiddling with a projector? Well, I suffered quite a bit with depression a while back; that made doing even the simplest things impossible to deal with, but thankfully my gorgeous girlfriend has stuck by me and i'm now out the other side. So now I'm back in the saddle and looking at converting the under stairs area in our home into a projection booth so I can quieten the noise from my 16mm Xenon. I also want to install an electric or discreet pull-down screen in the lounge (2.35:1 a/r of course!) I've also got a lot to do with cleaning and servicing the Elf, and I need to clean all my films too, plus get some archival reels and anti-vinegar sachets so my slightly acidic scope print of Billy Liar can air easier.

Jim Carlile
Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2009 09:47 PM      Profile for Jim Carlile   Email Jim Carlile   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which version of the Herzog? The German version is fantastic, the English version really rotten. Shot at the same time but often totally different set-ups. I mean really bad-- no comparison. No pacing, no mystery, no nothing.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 05, 2009 03:03 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately it was the English version.
Kinski is really creepy though.

-Mike

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 07, 2009 08:39 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday was fun. A friend of ours just completed a short film (about 25 min long) on 35mm in cinemascope and we organized the "world premiere" at our place as the print was the "0" just fresh from the lab. Nice drama about a fella who just robbed a bank and is trying to escape through the countryside.
Later in the evening, we shared some drinks while singing along to silly French soundies from the 1960s on 16mm.

Today, we just started our Catastrophathon with a matinee screening of super 8 cutdowns to "Airport" and "Airport '75" (gorgeous colours on this U8 reel). They were followed by the full length version of "Airport '77", in 16mm and cinemascope.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC