8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 107)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  104  105  106  107  108  109  110  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2012 01:18 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First i watched the Kings lose again, then I watched a couple of sports related shorts. Since I recently watched a Reginald Denny feature, I pulled out some Standard 8 episodes of an old boxing serial entitled The Leather Pushers (1922, 2 x 200ft each) Episodes #2 Round Two and #3 Payment Through the Nose..Each episode revolves around Denny getting into a boxing match...In #2 he wins the championship, and by #3 he has become obnoxious and his manager has to teach him a lesson. The unique thing about this serial is each epsiode involves his manager directly addressing the viewer in the beginning and end telling us what he has planned for "the Kid"..The prints are both extremely soft, but rare as can be... I have 1 reel from Episode #6 on 16mm, but have never seen any others.

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2012 03:55 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,
The first cartoon is (obviously!!)LE LOUP ET LA CIGOGNE (I920) and the second LA BELETTE ENTREE DANS UN GRENIER (1923). In case you are interested further,(and in case I'm saying something you don't already know!), you can acquire from Grahame Newnham a dvd with most (17) of the "Pathe Coloris",including LA BELETTE... Also,issue 59 of 1895, (La Revue de l'assosiation francaise de recherche sur l'histoire du cinema), is a unique book length history and study of the works of O'Gallop and Lortac,profusely illustrated.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2012 03:29 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pana
Thanks so much for the tips...... I knew about the DVD that Grahame sells, but its no substitute for the actual films...BUT I just ordered that journal online because I would love to know more about the animators (especially Lortac)so extra thanks for that one......

--------------------

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2012 12:26 PM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strongheart. 8mm Blackhawk film. Stars Henry Walthall.Lionel Barrymore and Blanche Sweet. This was a play that was turned into a film in 1914! I ran a test for speed and shooting with an HD camera,projecting using a Bolex M8 for this test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6voTFaqBVw&feature=youtu.be

My problem is with my screen. It created vertical lines. What surface is best?

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2012 01:23 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, wow what a great title to have...I have never found a copy of that one and I love Blanche Sweet....As for your screen, the only time I have seen lines in a screen is if I am projecting or sitting too close..I have a silver screen, and a small glass beaded one and most screens have some sort of surface that is detectable from close up.

Tonight was a couple of notched 9.5mm prints.. .First was a William Fairbanks crime drama called Caught Out! (actual title Through Thick and Thin (1927)(3 x 60ft pathescope G10276) and then a British version of Lorna Doone (1920) (1 x 300ft Pathescope S20007)..

-

--------------------

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2012 09:02 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On my li'l old Bolex M8 Projector I had the audience laughing belly laughs last night. we watched poetry on the big screen.
Charlie Chaplin in 'The Floorwalker'
A hilarious film even almost 100 years since it was made. If anyone wants to learn about filmmaking and comedic timing, I would start here, with the master, Charlie Chaplin. Mack Swain is sublime as the untrustworthy Department Store Head. The physical humor is both broad slapstick and well observed human behavior in comedic form.

-

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2012 09:31 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This morning I watched "Pretty in Pink" on 16mm. Love those cheesy 80s movies.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2012 03:02 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You just inspired me to think of Chaplin in 1 AM which is a movie I can't stop laughing at. It is a Classic and tonight I got into it . If only comedy can be as creative as this with out dropping the F bomb every few lines of dialog?  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2012 11:13 AM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night i showed the "Kid From Borneo" A great our gang episode [Smile]
Austin
 -

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 23, 2012 12:34 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That "Lorna Doone" is just a beautiful print. The many levels of greys to that glorious black N white image are just stunning. I envy your 9.5MM collection. I have one, just for the sake of owning something on every film guage (or most films guages) and it is a silent full length early Mickey Mouse cartoon, something sealing with a haunted house and lots of skeletons.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2012 09:56 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"You just inspired me to think of Chaplin in 1 AM which is a movie I can't stop laughing at"

This is the film my family always wants to see of Chaplins'. I couldn't agree with you more about the 'f'word comedy nowadays. It is abysmal. The writers should study Chaplin for a week. They might learn something about timing, instead of the steady monotonous drone of sitcom "comedy". Chaplin is noted for the many takes he would shoot to get it just right. His movements and balletic comedy are for the ages and for all ages.He uses inanimate objects in this film to sublime effect to achieve this high art-belly laugh comedy. His incredible gymnastics are only matched by his subtle physicality and incisive wit that cuts to the core of the human experience.

Nolan Moxley
Junior

- posted June 26, 2012 10:55 AM      Profile for Nolan Moxley   Author's Homepage   Email Nolan Moxley       Edit/Delete Post 
None,... my bulb died, lol

--------------------
Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.
George S. Patton

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2012 04:19 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Richard ! I couldn't have said it any better Chaplin is the man! Half the things you said I had to google. He He

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 26, 2012 05:52 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I screened one of my favourite Kirk Douglas films "Ulysses",Homers
epic tale of the hero's return from the Trojan War and the many
obstacles he has to overcome to return home.Douglas portrays
the character as a real man of flesh and blood,not a two
dimentional figure.The film might not please the computer
effects brigade but it does tell the tale,and I'm sure Homer would
have approved.I enjoyed it so much,I put it through again,it's a
long time since I did that.

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2012 04:58 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The latest addition to my collection of educational films on 16MM.
Life In Ancient Rome is particularly interesting since it's produced by Encyclopaedica Britannica Films in cooperation with Samuel Bronston Productions. This entails that they could not only use portions of the feature The Fall of The Roman Empire but they also used the sets from this film for their own material.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2012 09:38 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Timely Interception directed by DW Griffith/ Blackhawk Super 8mm print

Pre Birth of a Nation film by the master director DW Griffith. Stars Lillian Gish who is stunning in this film. Watching this movie I am amazed at the wonderful performances and how committed the actors are, and the expert camera angles. Each setup is lit with great care. The actors fill the frame. A ballet of light and performance and expert photography. DW understood the film frame and filled it with poetry even for his more 'pedestrian' shorter films.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2012 12:07 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today was my birthday so I was happy to finally watch a film I had been looking for for many years.. .The title is ABC OF LOVE (aka L'ABC de L'Amour) (1919, Pathe 745 9.5mm 5 x 30ft notched)starring the inimitable Mae Murray and her "bee stung lips"...I also saw 2 theatrical films today (the comedy Ted and the documentary OC87)

-

--------------------

Peter James Diggle
Junior

- posted July 01, 2012 02:34 AM      Profile for Peter James Diggle   Email Peter James Diggle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Showed "Olympics 1924 on 9.5mm 30ft cassettes using unused Pathe Kid. Quality film printing.

--------------------
PJDiggle

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2012 10:19 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino that looks like a most interesting bit of archaeology you got there in that 9.5mm print. I've not heard of this film.

Last night I took a look at a Standard 8mm Blackhawk print of the Crazy Ray directed by Rene Clair that I bought recently on Ebay. Released in this country as "At 3:25". This is a marvelous 400 foot (8mm)movie! Shots of Paris during the 20's highlight for me this wonderful little story of a 'crazy ray' that puts everyone in Paris asleep. What can be done on a little budget and a lot of imagination. The shots of and from the Eiffel Tower and Paris are stunningly beautiful.

-

John Skujins
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2012 10:46 AM      Profile for John Skujins   Email John Skujins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, that's one of my favorites from my collection. Mine's Super 8 though.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2012 01:27 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard , yes the Mae Murray film is quite the oddity as I do not believe any US version of it exists anymore.The only complete print is in Amsterdam, so this 9.5mm is my best bet to see it...and I agree with you and John the Crazy Ray is something to see.

Tonight as we head into the July 4th holiday, I thought what better Americanized film to watch than a western star in a baseball film...All I was missing was a piece of apple pie, while I watched HIT AND RUN (1924, 5 x 200ft Film Classic Exchange) starring Hoot Gibson as a hick version of Babe Ruth. The end does feature some pretty exciting action scenes.

-

--------------------

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2012 01:40 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The scope print of El Cid arrived nearly two months ago and I only watched the first reel this evening.. It is a very long feature and I wanted to watch it in one sitting; it didn't happen for two months. The first reel this evening had a rousing reception. When will I make time for reels 2 thru 8?

My thanks to Joseph Morrison for the scope lens. My gratitude to Hugh who was the only person making a case in favor of this lens (if I recall correctly) when it was on sale. Hugh was also kind enough to send me a reel of scope extracts free of charge, all the way from UK. Thanks again to Joe and Hugh.

-

-

-

-

[ July 04, 2012, 02:50 AM: Message edited by: Akshay Nanjangud ]

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2012 06:57 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sympathize with Akshay because generally these days I only have time to watch maybe 6 or 7 minutes of film a day. Takes a long time to get through a normal feature. I can imagine how long it would take me to get through an interminably long film like El Cid.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 06, 2012 12:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful print of "El-CID". Happy to say that the original theatrical trailer was also printed on super 8 in scope, and on LPP stock to boot. Very grand image on the trailer!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2012 01:35 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary, don't feel sorry for me now. My wife and I loved every minute of El Cid last night! Tremendous control in the feature with regard to action; so little of it.

In recent movies, brandishing a sword is a smooth motion; but here Charlton Heston makes sure we feel the weight of wielding a sword. Such small things click in this movie.

The first act is superb, the second act isn't as good in my opinion. Agree?

A few posts above are pics from another Anthony Mann feature, Fall of the Roman Empire. I wonder how that is.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  104  105  106  107  108  109  110  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC