8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 108)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  105  106  107  108  109  110  111  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2012 12:59 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight a 16mm late era Laurel & Hardy JITTERBUGS (1943)

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 07, 2012 12:50 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that Jitterbugs was on of thier best efforts from they're later days. ThanX 4 the very good screenshots.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2012 03:44 PM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent pics, Dino.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2012 04:32 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we watched the following films,It's a Mad Mad Mad World 2x400 stereo/scope,Early Bloomer cgi short stereo,Born Free 400ft scope/stereo with added Matt Monro song,The Lady Vanishes 1979 version 400ft scope,The 39 Steps Robert Powell 400ft,Escape to Athena 400ft scope & The Living Daylights opening title stereo/scope.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2012 01:23 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night we watched the following films SUPERMAN CARTOONS and MECHANICAL MONSTERS and a rare black /white JAPATOURS ,JUNGLE DRUMS, BILLION DOLLAR LIMITED , an old classic . I never get sick of watching these . I'm a Sup Car junky. I have a very nices prints . Some of the colors are fantastic after 30 years.  -  -  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2012 01:36 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice pics, Laksmi.

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2012 02:11 PM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
boy those look great. better than a dvd I have of these Fleischers.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2012 06:47 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,

Nice shots from Jitterbugs.

Dancing Masters is another of my favorites from their post Roach days.

An excellent book about their later films is: Laurel & Hardy from the 40's Forward, by Scott Mac Gillivray.

The book includes information about the re-releases. Look for the 2nd edition, for it has additional information.

Mac Gillivray is an accomplished writer and Sons of the Desert Grand Sheik of the Boston Brats tent.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 08, 2012 07:17 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Decided for a change from horror to watch Bruce kick seven
colours out of the bad guys in "Enter the Dragon" 16mm
letterboxed print.Favourite lines include the repartee from Jim
Kelly playing Williams, when Mr Han asks how he will handle
defeat replies "i won't even notice it!! I'll be too busy looking
good!!" and "Man, you come straight out of a comic book!"
Even now, the well staged fights are still standout and showcase
the skills of the late Bruce Lee.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2012 01:21 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,and Michael yes Jitterbugs is a good one...

Tonight I started watching the silent serial WOLVES OF KULTUR (1918)starring the one and only Charles Hutchinson..This is not the most well known serial, but it is loaded with action. The only version that exists is a truncated 7 episode version which tends to be a tad harder to follow since they rush through some of the exposition. Episode 1 is called Torture Trap (Bllackhawk 2 x 400ft, Super8)

-

--------------------

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2012 01:33 AM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino I wanted to start watching :WOLVES OF KULTUR. How is it

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2012 01:39 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Austin it is very good but as I mentioned can be a bit tricky to follow....Today was Ep 2 THE IRON CHAIR (Blackhawk 1 x 400ft, Super 8)..In this episode Bob and Alice break free from Zaremba's hideout as the henchman take the electric torpedo to a new hideout..NO small gauge for a few days as I am off to San Francisco for this weekend's annual SF Silent Film Festival.

-

--------------------

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2012 03:19 AM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have fun Dino. Also will you post photos?
Austin(:

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2012 04:42 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ran an optical print on super 8mm of Raise the Titanic (3 x 800') Wonderful Barry score and great mechanical effects, not as bad a film really.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 12, 2012 04:54 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought this an under rated film Mark,It comes across
as a very good adventure.Just in passing,what was the print like
regarding colour and was it letterbox or full frame? Reason I'm
asking is that I almost got a copy some years ago.

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2012 05:21 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hugh, 4:3 format (and no scan and pan, as some of the framings are off set) Colour and contrast very good, my print has no scratches or tram lines but there seems to be some master neg horizontal scratches for a few seconds here and there. But an enjoyable yarn from a nice super 8 print with solid optical sound. Cheers, Mark

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 12, 2012 07:41 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been watching a number PRC 40's films including 'Mad Monster' 1942 which was a bit creepy as good old Zucco lurches at the camera. Interesting actor this who fought for Britain in world war 1, getting shot in France and loosing use of part of his hand. One of the great names on the silver screen for me.

Mark. Its a bit since I ran my Raise the Titanic scope print so you now reminded me to do so. Have a look at the UK expert clips here about the film http://youtu.be/ZhvengpwPj8
And a very nice chap he is to.

[ July 16, 2012, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2012 08:04 PM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ran a crappy print (not a Blackhawk) of The Arcadian Maid and it still took my breath away. Can you imagine? This is cinema at it's most primitive and yet the suspense and drama is better than most anything on the boob tube. DW Griffith was the director.

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2012 11:06 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been a while since I got to play with my films. I treated myself to an afternoon matinee of B+W westerns from when I was a kid. First up was a first season episode of The Wild Wild West "Night of the Sudden Death" followed by the feature starring Joel McCrae from 1957 "Gunsight Ridge". The B+H JAN did the honors. Bliss...

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 16, 2012 07:18 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mad Monster
A little 1940’s gem this and oh so much better than the DVD. George Zucco at his best as a creepy scientist in the mad lab transforming poor old Glenn Strange into man wolf who does his own bit of creeping around the woods at night. Glen was quite a fascinating chap having done the Frankenstein bit and even appearing with The Lone Ranger amongst other things. He was also a noted singing cowboy type and left us in 1973, but even as a kid he held a fascination for me and it’s nice to have Mad Monster in the archive. These PRC films are always popular here at our shows and raise a smile when the ‘Devil Bat’ music score crops up in the majority of the spook flicks.
 -

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 19, 2012 04:18 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fascinating evening watching ‘Guns of Navarone’ 1961 on 8mm. It was a good opener to viewing the dare I say it Blu-ray extras and the restoration doc was excellent. The guy in charge of the lengthy resto commented that after restoration a new print should be made on 35mm to archive as it’s the best way to preserve the image, unlike modern digital systems where formats change all the time and become obsolete. He just about hit the nail on the head for us here also pointing out 35mm film had been an established format for so many years as well. Oh what a night!

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 19, 2012 04:37 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee,

THE MAD MONSTER - 16mm?

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 19, 2012 05:20 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
16 yes and with the creepy dog.
 -

It was out on 8mm as well by the way. [Cool]
 -

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2012 08:15 PM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coney Island w/ Buster Keaton and Fatty Arbuckle

This is a text book slapstick comedy. It's wonderful! I read in Ken Brown's book on DW Griffith that these films like DW's did not work off a script but improvised much of the gags or dramas portrayed. Well this one is all about Arbuckle and now I know why he was such a big star. He had a confidence and intelligence about his slapstick. Some of the stuff is pretty fabulous Including the cross dressing Fatty. Filmed on location in early 1900's Coney Island.

-

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2012 08:51 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coney Island plays better on the big screen.

It's nice to cross reference this film with Harold Lloyds: Speedy.
There are similar locations of the Coney Island amusement park,
especially that it's historically significant.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  105  106  107  108  109  110  111  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC