8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 119)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  116  117  118  119  120  121  122  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 29, 2012 02:55 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino wrote:
quote:
Michael – My MGM print is completely silent as was their release of it.
Ooops....I didn't see the word "silent" in the brackets in your original post. Sorry. I knew MGM had released a silent version but hadn't heard about a scored version - hence my question. Looks like a nice print.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2012 06:24 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched
"Who Killed Cock Robin?" (Derann 200ft)
A Pink Panther Strikes Again promo (Thunderbird Films 200ft)
Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" (Criterion edition. Blu-ray)

-

-

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2012 12:13 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since one can only go down from Napoleon, I figured better head for the bottom, so today I went to the cinema to watch This is 40, and followed that up this evening with a recent acquisition from Patrick Walsh MONSTER FROM GREEN HELL (1957, 4 x 400ft Super8) I watched on the 6 foot screen w/ Elmo ST-1200. The movie for those who have not seen it is a typical 50's sci fi mutant bug movie. This time it is a giant wasp. The unique thing with this film was the final section switches to a sepia tone to simulate the glow from the erupting volcano. Thankfully it was such an odd effect that the fading to red from the Eastman stock actually makes more sense...Mindless 50's schlock...I love it..

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2012 01:16 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Dino we like the Scifi stuff . I watched my super 8 mm 200 reels of SUPERMAN CARTOONS  -
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Gordon Hunter
Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2012 11:34 AM      Profile for Gordon Hunter   Email Gordon Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched "The Pay Train" on Std. 8mm. One of the earliest episodes, of the "Hazards of Helen" series (1914). Excellent print from Blackhawk.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2012 05:33 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bravo Gordon..I love that series..Pay Train is Episode 31 and one of the episodes with the original Helen (Helen Holmes)being directed by her husband JP MgGowan..Great films to watch..

Laksmi that is some beautiful color on those Superman toons...

Tonight a couple of silent shorts starting with HOME CURED (1926, 1 x 400ft Silent 16mm) starring Johnny Arthur and directed by Fatty Arbuckle. I am pretty sure this is a re-released 1 reel version of this Tuxedo Comedy. This was followed by THE NEWLYWED'S PESTS (1929, 1 x 400ft Silent kodascope print 16mm) which is a Snookum's comedy that I sadly only have the first reel of.....The feature tonight was the final film by my favorite director Roland West entitled CORSAIR (1931, 2 x 1600ft Thunderbird 16mm) which pairs up Chester Morris and Thelma Todd (acting under the pseudonym Alison Loyd) in an excellent and very underrated/misunderstood crime drama. Check out the images for some of the beautiful and interesting shots that are characteristic of his movies..Especially the extreme low angle shot that is often accredited to Citizen Kane and Orson Welles, but which factors into many of his films, beginning with the silent ones.

-
 -

[ December 31, 2012, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: Dino Everette ]

--------------------

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2012 05:11 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, today was the last screening in 2012 and it was again 35mm.
Since many years I planned to screen on new year`s eve "The Time Machine" (in my opinion the perfect atmosphere for new year`s eve), but after the discussion about "Forbidden Planet" in the other threat, it was FORBIDDEN PLANET, one of my crown jewels in my collection.
I started with the Trailer (both Film and Trailer are re-release prints with perfect color), then in memory to Garry Anderson the Trailer for Thunderbirds are go followed by two Godzilla trailers.
See screenshots here:
http://www.chapter-x.com/forbiddenplanet/site.htm
I wish you all a happy new year
Oemer

[ January 01, 2013, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Oemer Yalinkilic ]

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2013 11:31 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the comment Dino nice screen shots as usual of rare movies I have never heard of?? And thanks Omere for the shots of FORBIDDEN PLANET! WOW! Fantastic ! Oh thanks for the New Years Idea of TIME MACHINE super 8mm color sound 3X 400 reel . Happy NewYear!!!!  -  -
 -  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 02, 2013 03:29 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A tale of two cities 1958
Collectors Club release on super 8 5X400
First time viewing for me and rather a good print from Collectors Club for the classic Dickens tale set in the French revolution. It was interesting to see so many Hammer Films actors in this and was glued to the screen watching Christopher Lee. Drastically underrated version this by all accounts and we shall be viewing again before long.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2013 12:44 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not last night, but this afternoon at our over 50's club I gave a 65 minute presentation on S8mm. The aim was to recreate a typical 'night out' at a local cinema in the 1960's.
Note the audience was about 99.5% female, ages ranging from late 50's to late 70's.
1) No smoking notice
2) Rank welcome, This is Cinema, It's preview time
3) Presenting our future programme
4) Trailers for 'White Christmas' 'Gone With The Wind' Easter Parade' and 'Calamity Jane'
5) Pearl & Dean [pillars opening and close] ads for salted peanuts, Kia Ora orange drink, Walls Ice Cream, and Ovaltine with a young June Whitfield.
6)Tom & Jerry -The Night Before Christmas
7) Look At Life- The Eagle's Nest
8) 600ft version of Genevieve
Projector: GS 1200, 1.1 lens Sony amplification

UK members should be more familiar with some of the items than overseas ones

[ January 02, 2013, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Mal Brake ]

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 02, 2013 12:46 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent choice of programme, Mal.
[Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 02, 2013 01:27 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's it, Oemer, make us all green with envy! (GRRRR! just kidding).

Jonathan, that is a very good print from Thunderbird Films. Thunderbird Films was fairly notorious for releasing rather low quality prints ut also hold the distinction of releasing once only items (that is, releases that nobody else ever did) and it was rare to find low fade prints from Thunderbird films, but occasionally, great ones got through!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2013 04:02 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi. I bought the Thunderbird Pink Panther back in the early 90s. I'm not sure of the film stock but it's always had a slightly faded but perfectly watchable picture.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2013 12:38 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi
Great film, have you ever seen the sitcom Big bang Theory when they purchase the actual Time Machine from the movie? Its a very funny episode.

Last night I was hastily hooking up an external transformer to test a 24v 250w lamp in my 9.5 Specto, but I hooked the wires up backwards DOH! I blew out a switch on the machine, but luckily i have a parts machine that I raided, and replaced the switch, so I wanted to test it out with the usual lamp tonight, so I watched THE INFORMER (1929, 3 x 300ft SB 30034) which originally was a half silent/half talkie British made film starring a couple of European actors including Lya De Putti who plays the beautifully tortured soul better than most.

-

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 03, 2013 03:49 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William S.Hart Story 600ft
Followed by
Tumbleweeds (Collectors Club Sound 4X400)
The 1925 classic Hart film with added sound track and as he said 'Boys its the last of the west'
 -
Followed by
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (4X600 Derann)
For me this will always be the finest Disney with fine use of the multiplane camera, excellent character animation and a gorgeous semi operatic score which all makes for fine viewing in very full colour. Frollo the villain is scary and the scene of him around the fire is astonishing with some super animation almost bouncing out of the screen at times. Lovely colour and belting stereo sound.
 -

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2013 01:53 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino nice shots it looks kind of creapy that movie. Anyway about the Time Machine yeah I did see the funny Big bang Theory Well back to watching movies super 8mm 400 digest an old classic for the WIZARD OF OZ New Year 2013  -

and a Disney Cartoon LADY AND THE TRAMP  -

--------------------

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2013 09:57 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started the year off with a look at my latest additions to my collection of educational shorts on 16MM.

The first: Speaking of Weather, is produced by Disney in 1982.

-

-

-

-

The second is called: Why We Use Money and are from 1970.

-

-

-

-

Both films are with Swedish sound and in really good condition.

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Gordon Hunter
Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2013 11:43 AM      Profile for Gordon Hunter   Email Gordon Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just projected a 9.5mm copy of the Our Gang (Little Rascals) film "The Sun Down Limited" using my Pathescope "Ace" projector. This is a "Novascope" print and I also have the same film from (Pathescope UK)as "Full Steam Ahead" (SB728). I believe some of the scenes from this silent film were used in the later sound film "Railroadin".

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2013 12:43 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After fixing the off switch on my GS 1200 I ran the Ham & Bud short BLUNDERING BLACKSMITHS (1917, 400ft Blackhawk Super 8 SIL) although this may be the last silent I run on the GS since someone told me that running silent films on it can damage it. Does anyone know if that is true? The short has my favorite Kalem logo with the moving spider.

-

--------------------

Gordon Hunter
Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2013 08:49 AM      Profile for Gordon Hunter   Email Gordon Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dino,
Not sure about silent films damaging a sound projector. I have a silent,std.8mm copy of the "Blundering Blacksmiths". This was one of my very early purchases from Blackhawk and has been in my collection for over 35 years! Projected for the second time only last week; my copy is around 200' and have never seen this on the various film sales list here in the UK. Thanks also for the information on the "Pay Train" film.

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2013 09:21 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first film shown 2013 on super 8 was The Sea Wolves.
Until I bought it some years ago I had no idea it was available as a feature on 8. The datecode is for 1987 and I have a old, almost forgotten, fact that rattles around my brain that says that it might be Kempski who released it. Can anyone confirm or perhaps know the correct distributor?

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2013 11:43 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight I had time for a very atmospheric murder thriller called The Spiral Staircase (1945, 4 x 400ft Super 8 on-6ft screen, GS-1200 f1.0 lens) starring a number of well knowns, and a clever twist near the end. It must be slightly edited since it is only on 4 reels, but it still plays nicely. Plus it doesn't hurt that there is a whole movie theatre scene where the projectionist is hand cranking an old silent film.

-

--------------------

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2013 11:03 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NIce Shots Dino and Lars! The projectionist is hand cranking an old silent film sounds like me when I was a kid . Last night I was watching ALIEN super 8mm digest nice color print and sound.
 -
 -

-

[ January 07, 2013, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Laksmi Breathwaite ]

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 07, 2013 02:33 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dino, it was the done thing in film libraries over here, that snd
films must not be run on slt projectors, perhaps the reverse is true?

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 07, 2013 02:36 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Finished the Xenon refurb and runs nice. OB1 was most happy and the old Star Wars cut down still going strong. Full soak test later with RAISE THE TITANIC. Couple of minor jobs to do on this Elmo but its been fun. Cough cough.....

-
 -

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  116  117  118  119  120  121  122  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC