8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 123)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  120  121  122  123  124  125  126  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2013 12:52 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked "Meteor", Lars. That looks like a print I nearly bid on from the US recently.
I watched "The Neverending Story". (6ooft Derann)

-

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 19, 2013 04:26 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
A film I watched last friday night, was the new acquisition from Phil at
Classic, listed as fading, well it could have fooled me,it turned out
to have great colour and 'scope in 16mm.The film "The Burglars"
a heist movie with Jean Paul Belmondo, Omar Shariff and the
lovely Dyan Cannon, set against beautiful Greek scenery has that
holiday feel plus a great car chase, stunts and fights where the protagonists actually look like they have been in one, and a pretty nasty end for the bad guy where he drowns in the hold
of a ship buried in grain.All in all, a good evenings entertainment with music provided by Ennio Morricone.Thankyou CHC.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2013 12:50 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody ever guessed the camera in my earlier post (perhaps I am the only one who cares about stuff like that) but they were using Bell & Howell 2709's, which was one of the absolute classic early cameras of the silent film days.

For tonights' viewing I chose FINGER OF JUSTICE (1918, 3 x 200ft Standard 8mm) starring Crane Wilbur (from Perils of Pauline fame). Not sure who released this title but it is probably the only film you have to edit before watching because it is about 500 feet of film printed on a single overflowing 400ft reel all in the wrong order. Oddly enough this title does not exist in any of the major FIAF archives and was not on David Pierce's report of extant silent films for the Library of Congress, so I guess that makes it pretty rare...Anyone else have this title or know who released it?

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2013 11:31 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan nice shot of "The Neverending Story". (6ooft Derann) were can I get that print? I love that movie " The Great Nothingness"! Another one of those rare prints Dino!

Last Night I was watching a super 8 classic JUNGLE DRUMS from the 1940s. Had all the color still clear in the print. I guess it was a low fade stock. I love these old cartoons at the time they were mini movies !  -
 -

-
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2013 12:05 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Laksmi. Someone had it for sale a few months ago.It might have been Hugh.

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2013 08:18 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sunbeam (1912) directed by DW Griffith • Standard 8mm Blackhawk Print

Watch gentle films like these and then turn the clock up 101 years to the present and with all the pyrotechnics of film nothing can compare with the gentle simplicity of the human heart in these Biograph allegories by DW Griffith. Can kindness and human love portrayed in 1912 be watchable 101 years later? My reaction is a resounding yes. Griffith loved filming kids and animals (as well as grownups) and this film centers around a sweet little girl who, through her innocence, brings (spoiler alert [Smile] two lonely people together.

-

Laksmi - love the Superman cartoons with great color. These are the best Supermans committed to film I think

Dino-Great screen shots. I looked up your film "The Finger of Justice." It's listed on IMdb

Production Companies-Paul Smith Pictures
Distributors-Arrow Film Corporation (1918) (USA) (theatrical)

[ February 21, 2013, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Richard Bock ]

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2013 12:04 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard thanks and I have seen the film is listed on imdb (which gives only the information from the 8mm print, not the full 7 reel feature), and obviously exists on 8mm, but frighteningly enough it no longer exists on anything better than 8mm.

Great Griffith short by the way..i saw that on ebay recently.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 21, 2013 02:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love that shot of "Neverending Story", a very good edit by Derann!

I own that "Logans Run" print myself. Does your print have the nudity edited out? Mine does, for some odd reason.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2013 02:44 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dino,

I also have A Tour of the Thomas Ince Studio but, on one 8mm 400' reel with sound. Are the two Super 8 reels that you have full? I'm just wondering if I might be missing something. One of my favorite shots in there is of the editor cement splicing film together with bare hands!

I also found this description for Finger of Justice (1918) from Silent Era:

The Finger of Justice
(1918) American
B&W : Seven reels
Directed by Louis William Chaudet

Paul Smith Pictures Company production; distributed on State Rights basis by Arrow Film Corporation. / Produced by Reverend Paul Smith. Scenario by Grace Marbury Sanderson. Cinematography by Lenwood Abbott. / Premiered 21 July 1918 in Washington, D.C., and in Seattle, Washington. Released July 1918. / Standard 35mm spherical 1.37:1 format. / The film was advertised to premiere on 29 June 1918 at the Lyric Theatre in New York, New York, but the premiere was quashed by the New York Bureau of Licenses Commissioner Gilchrist who had ruled the film to be immoral; in a later court action, Gilchrist was required to show cause for the film’s suppression. Reverend Paul Smith obtained an endorcement of the film from Washington, D.C. Mayor Raymond Pullman for its premiere there. Footage showing Seattle Mayor Ole Hanson welcoming Reverend Paul Smith to the city of Seattle was shown in the Pacific Northwest as a prologue to the film. The film was banned by the Maryland State Board of Censors.

Drama.

Synopsis: The story is based on actual events in the anti-vice campaign in San Francisco of Reverend Paul Smith. When political kingpin William Randall perpetuates and controls corruption in the city, Minister Noel Delaney wages an anti-corruption campaign.

Survival Status: Print exists [16mm reduction positive]

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 22, 2013 02:07 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched my latest 16mm feature Max Dugan Returns (1983). This Neil Simon movie is very easy to watch...very sweet [Smile] The cast is full of familiar faces...Marsha Mason, Jason Robards, Donald Sutherland, and Matthew Broderick. My reels had some of the strong language edited out...I think it must have been a TV version. All in all good quality picture and sound. A fun movie!

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Jordan J. Bolinger
Junior

- posted February 22, 2013 02:27 PM      Profile for Jordan J. Bolinger   Email Jordan J. Bolinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My roommate brought out a whole stash of Super 8 and 8mm that I didn't know that he had. And we watched three 400ft reels of raw footage from someone's short film.

Talk about weird and interesting all at once. One reel was labeled "death of werewolf". It was cheesey black & white of a guy in a cheap werewolf mask. Then we found one labeled "party scene" and it looked like an early 80s party with a lot of white people. Then we came upon footage that more or less gave us the date. It was footage of Hollywood and on the Mann's Chinese Theatre marquee it read, "E.T.". It was Hollywood in 1982!

--------------------
Jordan J. Bolinger

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2013 10:12 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I saw the Billion dollar movie AVATAR the 200 reel trailer promo on super 8mm color sound. It was low fade Lpp stock . Color was great and it was a beautiful scope print. But I did not have a scope lense. It was still letter box and a beautiful view.  -
 -
 -
 -

-

-
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2013 11:24 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice stills Laksmi. I have this too. I got a great 2nd hand print of it from CHC last year.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2013 11:58 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight we watched an absolute classic - Rocket to the Moon aka Cat-Women of the Moon (1953, 1 x 2000ft 16mm - 63min)...so classic that it is the only film Marie Windsor was apparently ashamed of..BUT if you look at the arrow in pic #3 you'll see that on the wall of the spaceship there is a 1600 or 2000ft 16mm reel. How classic is that? Actually this is a silly, short 50's sci fi film that has many moments to enjoy, like the battle with the giant spider where you can see the strings, or the fact that the spaceship keeps changing each time they show it.

-

--------------------

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2013 12:48 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Classic DINO Scifi at its campyness! I was watching a campy BATMAN 1940 SERIAL super 8mm 400 reel nice B/W print. HOLY BATMAN!  -
 -
 -
 -

-
 -
 -  -

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 24, 2013 02:10 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino..."Rocket to the Moon" looks like a hoot. I guess continuity just wasn't a requirement for some of those low-budget sci-fi productions. A 60 min movie is a perfect length...I think features are way too long anyway [Eek!] Nice screen shots!

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2013 03:23 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Decent looking Batman print, Laksmi.
I watched an amusing 16mm Video Arts training film, "Decisions, Decisions" with John Cleese and Prunella Scales.
 -

-

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2013 07:29 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On friday the latest additions to my 16MM collection arrived.
Two classic Disney shorts, propaganda films from WWII to boot.
"Der Fuehrer's Face" & "Education For Death".
And both are in excellent condition, not a single splice, nor a single scratch. In fact they look as if they never have been run.
They were a bit on the pricey side, but with this condition it was worth it. And besides, how many years would it take to find these two together in a another sale?

If you haven't seen these I can recomend them, they are both on the "tube", and I believe they even are in HD.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted February 24, 2013 07:43 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lately I have no chance of screenshots, but on Friday I got a great deal on several movies. So last night I saw Airplane, Death Wish and half of Grease, all full features. Loads of Tom & Jerry and Disney's. Saw Coal Black, which I read was banned. All for a lovely price :-)

Will screenshoot them later when I have my room back

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2013 11:49 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jonathan wow that is a great picture of Cleese . And Lars that film the "Der Fuehrer's Face" & "Education For Death" is a collectors item great! Sieg heil' !!!

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2013 03:18 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, Your print of "Max Duggan Returns" if its like the TV print I have of "Hopscotch" (great film) this too was censored for swearing. All they had done was put some blopping tape over the soundtrack. Have a look at your film. All I did was peel it off and now normal sound.

Some of the films members have on this forum are truly amazing, and the screen shots too are excellent.

Although this tread is film based, I'll just say that some of the films you have here I would never have seen except for DVD even when video tape was in all the shops they never had the more obscure titles.

Those 'B' movies are great fun to watch.

Laksmi Your "Batman" do you have the complete serial? I love them, really fun to watch. My two are "Captain Marvel" and "The Pirate's Treasure" both 12 chapters, but Marvel is short on chapter one, I think it should be 3 reels. Looking in an old Columbia 16mm hire catalogue, they had loads for rent at one time.

Wonder if John Cleese "Video Arts" which were more than likely made on film now called "Film Arts" now they will be made on video [Big Grin]

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2013 03:50 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I ran Tarzan's secret treasure (1941) starring Johnny Weissmuller and Maureen O'Sullivan. I don't know the distributor of the film, but it has dutch subtitles [Big Grin]

At Sunday we had a look at Disney's The Sword in the stone and The Jungle Book both released by Derann.

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2013 04:41 AM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice screenshots and very interesting prints from you all.

I received the 16mm print, which one I bought for $750 recently.
Maybe you noticed that I sold my Once upon a time in the west S8 print to finance this print.

The 16mm print is a very rare Cinemascope and Technicolor print of "The Girl can´t help it" (with Jayne Mansfield and a lot of rock and Roll Stars of the 50´s).
I sold this print 4 years ago to a collector friend in USA and he was kind enough to sell it back to me.
I watched the first half of the feature and maybe I run the second half this weekend.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2013 12:31 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I saw the 400 reel super 8mm color sound SUPERMAN THE MOVIE I love the digest of this film and it still has great color. I can not wait to get Captian America next to add to my Hero line up of films. Also I was checking out my classic Superman Cartoons .  -
 -
 -

-  -
 -

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 28, 2013 03:38 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight i cleaned up the very first feature film i bought on 8mm when i was just 17,(now 51 [Frown] [Wink] ) to view with my Brother, The classic horror The Texas Chainsaw massacre, i was half expecting the colour to have faded but what a great surprise, its absolutly fine throughout and not on mark on this one. Purchased direct from Iver Film Services and originaly supplied on 4 x 400ft spools,(very soon put onto 2 x 800ft) in hard plastic cases, when i enquired if they had it in stock they recommended the 400ft version as "there" 400 footer showed all five killings wereas Deranns version started after the first two murders, how odd, iwanted to spend £99 and they wanted to sell me the £26 film [Confused] however, being 17 and i had saved very hard i wanted the full feature and when it arrived it was projected that very night with my whole family,poor old Mum thought it was disgusting [Big Grin] and within a year i think we must have shown it in my crudly made garage cinema by at least a hundred people,friends of friends etc,some ladies even walking out becauae it was too much for them, i loved every minute with a naughty smile as they made the exit, and to own a movie that was banned outside of London was quite special, of course by todays standards its quite tame but still a classic Horror, I'm going to be keeping this for a few years yet.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  120  121  122  123  124  125  126  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC