8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 125)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  122  123  124  125  126  127  128  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2013 01:30 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan - Brilliant color, love that one.. "Into the mud Scum Queen!"

Laksmi - excellent Harryhausen! !

Tonight I started with a toy film extract from what looks like an Our Gang short, followed by one of the final films by the first, and one of the greatest silent comedians Max Linder. The film was The Three-Must-Get-Theres (1922, Standard 8mm, 2 x 400ft) and is an excellent satire on the Fairbanks' Musketeers film from the previous year. Not the sharpest print but rare enough to make it worth it.

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2013 06:50 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks pretty decent to me, Dino!
I watched "A minute to pray, a second to die" on 16mm. I'm not normally keen on spaghetti westerns but this one held my attention quite well. I couldn't work out the film stock although the colour was superb.

-

-

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2013 04:44 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan, your print looks like it may be LPP.

I had a chance to take a look at my own toy film collection from last years findings. These are all silent novelty films, 100' ft or shorter. Regardless of condition, I also really love these prints. Including a rare Little Black Sambo Castle short with Cinecolor so saturated, that some of the image burned onto other frames. As Dino mentioned some are better than others, my favorite part is always the title card.

-  -
 -  -
 -  -

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2013 05:39 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gerald. I think you may be right about LPP.

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2013 08:42 PM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today I screened a Mint Print of my newly acquired Donald Duck cartoon, "Clown of the Jungle"

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2013 08:44 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My brother last week had some major back surgery so I took a projector and some films to the rehabilitation center tonight and we had a nice film show....

All super 8 sound:
150th Anniversary of Steam (200')
Knighty Knight Bugs (150')
Rocket 150 (200')
Thunder of Steam in the Blue Ridge (400')

Bill [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 17, 2013 09:08 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Austin!

That's just about my favorite Donald Duck cartoon! It has a very manic, almost Tex Avery quality to that cartoon with that crazy bird Donald tries to photograph, right down to the unique "iris out" gag at the end. Lovely color to that cartoon! Much better than most Donalds!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2013 09:28 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The, for the moment, last 16MM film I purchased: Foul Play.
A AGFA print in pristine condition, not a single splice and almost no stripes.
I have always wondered why Marketing never released this back in the day. I would most certainly have bought it as a feature.
A fun thing about this copy is that the seller was situated in San Fransisco, the same place as the film unfolds in.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2013 12:01 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino great rare film, Austin good Donald,Osi I never new you were a Donald fan? Gerald great scenes, you to Lars ! I watched another one of my Superman classics 200 foot super 8mmm MECHANICAL MONSTERS nice color I like the way they show Sup's Xray eyes in this classic scene. Hope they have that in the new movie Man of Steel . I hope the movie is as action packed and as good as these cartoons.  -
 -
 -

-

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2013 10:00 AM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

I bought a fine Super 8mm Sound Blackhawk print of The River (1938) directed by Pere Lorentz from Gerald Santana, a forum member. The clearing of timber to build cities had an effect of erosion and flooding in the areas of the Tennessee Valley and the Mississippi and it's tributaries. The subject of environmental devastation is detailed with the eye of a great photographer. Shots of the rivers and dams are powerfully realized. The building of dams to alleviate the recurrent flooding is outlined in a powerful and beautiful, black and white moving picture. This picture was funded by the government to inform the populace of the TVA and other federally funded projects. Stunning photography, with a narration that reads like a poem. Best of all is the score by Virgil Thomson. Sound on this print is crystal clear. Excellent for kids and kids of all ages who want to learn some American history and how we solved some very big problems back in the days of the New Deal. Also good for kids who like boats, untamed waters, and men working.

Great color Laksmi/ Gerald-love that you have that title montage, really fun to look at. Lars- I didn't think Super 8 could look that good.

[ March 18, 2013, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Richard Bock ]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 18, 2013 01:21 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent screen captures Richard! A nice addition to your collection [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2013 01:57 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Four screenings this weekend [Smile] ...

1) In honor of St. Patrick's day, a half hour excellent documentary on Celtic music "Celtic legends" on 16mm.

2) The 1986 Oscar winning short "Molly's pilgrim", a touching 24 minute master piece on 16mm.

3) A stunning color LPP ( on AGFA print, I believe) documentary on dairy production in the Canadian province of Manitoba, a 20 minute short on 16mm.

4) Summer legend, an excellent 8 min animation short on 16mm from the excellent National Film Board of Canada.

Thank y'all and hope you are all having a great week [Smile] !!!

Best,
ET

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 18, 2013 02:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Gerald,

is that the "Little Black Sambo" that just sold on ebay? I almost bid on that collection, just for that short!

--------------------

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2013 04:11 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you liked the print Richard and it was great meeting you in person.

Hey Osi, I got Little Black Sambo from my friend's collection last year. The color on the film is wild, it's very rich.

Here are a few more pictures of those shorts...

-  -
 -  -
 -  -

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2013 10:59 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey nice Sambo pic Gerald and Osi what a classic embarrassment of a film now. Y'all known's what I sa mean . Hey nice clip of Chaplin in there. I got an Idea to screen this last night from Winbert. I watched my 3 X 400 super 8mm Marketing film . TEN COMMANDMENTS with my man Chuck ! The color is still good after 30 or more years.  -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2013 01:02 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi I watched your movie, very good.

Tonight I finally got to watch a 9.5mm film I picked up last year that was so damaged it took me almost this long to repair all of the torn perfs, but it has eluded me this long to find this title so it was worth repairing them. The film is called WEEK-END WIVES (1929, Pathescope 2 x 300ft notched, S30024) and stars Monty Banks and the beautiful Estelle Brody in a mistaken identity comedy romp that actually works well as a 2 reeler even though it is an edited feature.

-

--------------------

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2013 01:39 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the wonderful Derann 200fter, "Reflections USA". Thanks again, Hugh!
 -
 -
 -
 -

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2013 02:19 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the wonderful trailer reel of RAMAYAN THE SUPREME ADVENTURE 16mm color sound . I would like some time to make a Super 8 digest of my movie on a 400 reel or 600.
 - I also watched the new Captain America film super 8mm 2 X 600 reel color scope sound. Wow what a double feature two superheros Cap and Rama!  -
 -
 -
 -

[ March 22, 2013, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Laksmi Breathwaite ]

--------------------

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2013 12:27 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night: 16mm technicolor print of The Man who knew to much.
 -
 -

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 22, 2013 01:50 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely, just lovely! [Smile]

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 22, 2013 02:29 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gorgeous looking print, Oemer.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2013 03:21 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In between all these moments of drooling, Dino: how do you repair torn-up 9.5? How did you revive that print?

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 22, 2013 10:45 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
16mm scope print of Escape From the Planet of the Apes, one of my last purchases from Derann's used list. A very clever way to continue the series after the world blew up in Beneath.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2013 11:59 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug and Oemer, WOW!! beautiful prints....

Bill would you believe in this case I had to lay strips of tape (sometimes 1 foot long)across everything and then punch the sprocket holes out because it was a cleaner repair than repairing 20 torn sprockets in a row back to back to back. Plus that allowed me to be able to fold all of the bent sprockets that were torn but still attached back down.

--------------------

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2013 05:45 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for your praise of the hitchcock print.
Unfortunately is allways a part of the image (right and left) missing of Vista Vision movies on 16mm.
Doug@ great print, it is my favorite sequel of the planet of apes movies. I had many years ago also a print, but I sold it, because my print was only a pan and scan print. Your print looks great.

Today I run few Super 8 trailers.
First my favorite S8 trailer reel (the quality is realy great): Licens to kill, Batman, Licens to kill (second trailer).
After that my last Derann Trailer purchase: Harry Potter chamber of secrets, Fantastic Four, Robots, Fantastic Four the rise of the silver surfer and finaly Spiderman.
It was not possible to catch a good screenshot from the Superhero trailers but here are two from the Robots.
 -
 -

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  122  123  124  125  126  127  128  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC