8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 126)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  123  124  125  126  127  128  129  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2013 10:40 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Prints Classic movies Doug and Oemer, I guess you inspired me Doug with Ape movies . I watched my over 30 years old PLANET OF THE APES 200 foot digest super 8mm color sound. " Dam them All to Hell" What a classic line in any and all movies . That really sums up everything in a few words. They finally went ahead and did it. Dam them God Dam them!  -
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2013 11:39 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,

What is the difference between this print of Napoleon and the Coppola cut?

Napoleon

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted March 24, 2013 08:50 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dino,

About $200.00! [Big Grin]

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2013 11:50 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Michael
think of it like Star Wars, where a director should not keep going back and changing their own film..Basically Gance re-edited the film and re-shot sound sequences in 1934, making the silent footage flashbacks, the 1971 version made it even worse by bringing in a co-director in Claude LeLouche..It utilizes more footage than the 1934 sound version which is good but takes everything so much further away from the original vision...In simple terms, instead of following and getting caught up with Napoleon on his rise to Glory, we get to listen to him reminisce about his past glories..The whole thing plays out like a sad allegory of Gance's career where we are less reminded of how great Napoleon the movie is/was and are more enlightened as to how far Gance had fallen, as if he is looking back on his past glory. I would avoid it unless you are a completest, and I would not advise spending $4900 on a print....I'm a nut and I don't want this version...Imagine if the next thing Lucas did was take Star Wars and reshuffle the footage around and add a voice over from Obi Wan telling the story of luke Skywalker.On one hand you would have most of the footage from Star Wars but it would be corrupted and the whole time watching it would be impossible to not dwell on the fact that you are not watching what you should be watching which is Star Wars.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2013 09:51 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, thanks for your explanation on the preceeding page. Do you tape up BOTH sides of the film? Does the thickness bother the 9.5 projector? Thanks!

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2013 10:32 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I watched JAWS 200 reel super 8 mm color sound. And Dino I personally like the Brando version but he was a shorty? Anyway now back to Mr. Spielberg and a scary classic . I did not want to go back in the water after watching this .  -  -
 -  -
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2013 11:33 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,

Thanks for the insight on the Napoleon cut from '72.
It's not my cup of tea to purchase this film.

A video reference copy is fine for me.
Is the latest release available on DVD?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2013 01:19 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys is this GENERAL YAK or What Films did you Show Last Night?

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2013 06:10 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful frames everyone!

And Laksmi- Your JAWS 200 footer still looks very nice. May 2x400 foot version did not age well. [Wink]

James.

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2013 06:31 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brief screening to show of the new ST-1200 to some friends last night, monday March 25th, 2013.

- Tom & Jerry - "Dr Jekyll & mr Mouse" (200' Walton)
- Askeladden og de gode hjelperne (400' Caprino Studios)

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted March 26, 2013 08:13 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Envy :-) Askeladden

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 26, 2013 01:34 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think some of this might be due to mastering of the Material (speaking of Jaws 2X400ft). I have pretty good 2X400ft of this, (much nicer to see this in the letterbox ... even better in scope), but this print was almost a shot by shot great to not so great print.

Still, most repeatable, to be sure!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2013 12:34 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi you are correct, less yackin' and more film watching...

Tonight I proved to myself a point that sometimes it is the ones you are not as familiar with that you need to watch more often, so I watched a 9.5mm print of Lorna Doone (Pathescope, 1 x 300ft S20007 notched) the pics are here

I fear this is the type of film that gives British silents a bad name because it was made in 1920, but most of the inside scenes are staged and more reminiscent of the film d'art movement than something like Broken Blossoms which was released one year earlier. That being said the film has its moments and started the ball rolling for Dennis Wyndham who had a long career in British cinema...

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 27, 2013 06:29 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
You're very welcome Jonathan, and thankyou for your help, ( an
earlier posting) I decided to run my recent acquisitions over the
weekend in 16mm of "The Italian Job", which was a great advert for Mini Coopers, "The Man Between" an excellent Carol Reed film
set in post war Berlin with James Mason and a very sexy Hildegard Neff. Sunday seen me screening "Support Your Local Sheriff"
with James Garner in top form, on showing Bruce Dern to his jail
cell, Dern asks where the bars are,"Oh they haven't come yet"
Garner tells him,"You're Kidding" says Dern,"That's what I said"
Garner replies, leaving Bruce looking bemused.The second Garner western was a very gritty tale "Duel at Diablo",of Apache
Indians and cavalry fighting it out in some great scenery, and
ones sympathy for brave men on both sides.Backed up by a
catchy Neil Hefti score, it rounded off a good evenings entertainment.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted March 27, 2013 06:30 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
You're very welcome Jonathan, and thankyou for your help, ( an
earlier posting) I decided to run my recent acquisitions over the
weekend in 16mm of "The Italian Job", which was a great advert for Mini Coopers, "The Man Between" an excellent Carol Reed film
set in post war Berlin with James Mason and a very sexy Hildegard Neff. Sunday seen me screening "Support Your Local Sheriff"
with James Garner in top form, on showing Bruce Dern to his jail
cell, Dern asks where the bars are,"Oh they haven't come yet"
Garner tells him,"You're Kidding" says Dern,"That's what I said"
Garner replies, leaving Bruce looking bemused.The second Garner western was a very gritty tale "Duel at Diablo",of Apache
Indians and cavalry fighting it out in some great scenery, and
ones sympathy for brave men on both sides.Backed up by a
catchy Neil Hefti score, it rounded off a good evenings entertainment.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2013 01:05 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
whoah Hugh deja vu.

Sometimes my job allows me certain personal benefits that seem undeserved they are so special.. Today was one of those days. I went to Dan O'Bannon's house to pick up his personal film collection to deposit for the family in my archive. In the holdings were student films from the 1960's containing pivotal moments that show the development of individuals like O'Bannon and John Carpenter that would go on to re-define the genre of horror films including previously unknown material that has not been seen by anyone in over 40 years like a Standard 8mm collaboration between O'Bannon and Carpenter..I am actually going to look into releasing a DVD or something of the material, because it is too important for people to not be able to see.

-

--------------------

Gordon Hunter
Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2013 06:31 AM      Profile for Gordon Hunter   Email Gordon Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The House with Closed Shutters". This is a D.W. Griffith film of 1910. Been in my collection for over 30 years and this is only the second time I have projected it. My copy is in Std. 8mm and print quality is excellent.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2013 08:18 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh, Must get my snow shovel out and dig my way up to you. "The Italian Job" & "Support Your Local Sheriff" plus "Duel at Diablo" all good ones.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2013 04:28 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino nice screen shots watch movies yeah!!! Hugh I love "Duel at Diablo" plus the music western theme. I watched my Ray Harryhausen film MYSTERIOUS ISLAND super 8mm color sound 200 digest. Great Balloon flight shots. I love the parts that shows Captain Nemo and the Nautilus.  -
 -

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2013 03:17 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Dino...Those screen shots of the early O'Bannon films are sweet! I hope you are able to make an official DVD of that happen because I would be interested in that.

So I stay on topic, last night I screened Blackhawk's Bustling Narrow Gauge and Interurban's Iron Ponies on super 8...both 200'ers. Both are recent finds.

Bill [Smile]

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2013 09:19 AM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saturdag March 30, 2013:
Ran some assorted black-and-white reels, including "Safety Last!" reel three, a few Chaplins, some Stooges and "Who's on First?".

Finished off with "Where Eagles Dare", 3x400'.

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Richard Bock
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2013 02:43 PM      Profile for Richard Bock   Author's Homepage   Email Richard Bock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received this Standard 8mm print (2 x 400) of Shoulder Arms (1918) from Dino a while back, it's not a Blackhawk print (according to research done on this website, Shorty said "Shoulder Arms came from both Watso Films and Bouchard")

Made to rally the troops during WW1 it has scenes which are so funny one literally has to come up for air. Chaplin's physical humor in the opening scenes of him doing marching drills are hilarious. The scenes in the trenches are dark humor at its best, for example he lights a cigarette by holding it up to the line of fire. What could be routine, corny slapstick, where Charlie uses 'camouflage' by dressing up as a tree is one of the most sublime scenes I've ever seen him do, ending in a chase through a forest. I think that scene alone extended my life expectancy by 3 years.

-

Dino that is one interesting cache of films that you've pictured, and wish you best in getting that onto DVD/

[ March 31, 2013, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Richard Bock ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 01, 2013 06:50 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino ... hopw can I FREAKIN envy you more?! [Eek!]

I can only imagine what those films are like, I look forward mto seeing those films on DVD!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2013 03:35 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everybody I got in the Mark Twain mood. I watched the classic 400 footer digest of Adventures of Tom Sawyer 8mm color sound nice print still has some color . It has all the great scenes. Tom tricking the kids into white washing the fence. The knife throw by Injun Joe in the court house at Tom. The scene in the cave when Tom kills Joe with the door knocker, and the climb up to the cave light and exist. And I love the scene when Tom walks back in the dark cave to save Becky. What a movie I love from my child hood.  -

--------------------

Oemer Yalinkilic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2013 08:06 PM      Profile for Oemer Yalinkilic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not last night, but few days ago I checked a 35mm print for a potential sale. It Was JACK THE GIANT KILER.
Here are some screenshots: screenshots
And few video clips to describe better the condition.
clip 1
clip 2
clip 3

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  123  124  125  126  127  128  129  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC