8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 136)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  133  134  135  136  137  138  139  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2013 08:34 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another of the later additions to my 16MM collection: Arrivederci, Baby! aka Drop Dead Darling.
This is a scope copy in glorious Technicolor. Tony Curtis is a man that marries wealthy women and then disposes of them to get their money.
A really funny movie, where the scope format is really used to good effect, as you can se in some of the pictures.
It also has one of the funniest end twists that I have seen (always makes me laugh).

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted June 25, 2013 11:02 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful print Lars. I haven't seen the movie, any good?

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2013 11:30 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow great shots in scope Lars . I guess are Vidar has some competition . Anyway I watched my digest 400 reel of BARBARELLA  -
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2013 03:38 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lars, with a print like that, with colors that saturated, I'd happily watch the worst color movie ever made.

Two genres seem hot among film collectors: Horror and Sci-Fi. No horror collection is ever complete without The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Finally, after almost two years, I have a Super 8 sound print of this title mounted on one 1200' reel.

My wife and I watched Dr. Caligari for the first time on DVD, four years ago. Back then the feature floored us. Even today it sucked me right in. My wife however felt that the sense of mystery was lost second time around. All the buzz around Dr. Caligari drew my brother to this screening, he didn't like it all that much. [Eek!]

-

-

-

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2013 08:14 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar, it may not be the best, by far, but it's not that bad either. I have noticed that it's a film that grows on you and gets better with every viewing. And there are some scenes that are truly hilarious, and others that are so incredibly ludicrous that you are amazed. I think this is a film you either like or hate and there is no inbetween. But all in all it's a film I truly can recommend as a amusing viewing.

Akshay, yes the colors are truly stunning, but what would you expect from a true Technicolor print. Makes me eager to get my hands on more of these. I already have one other, The Greatest Show On Earth with Norwegian subtitles, in Technicolor and the colors are just as great on that one.

I just wish that mad guy with the insane prices on all those Thechnicolor features, that's on ebay, could get a grip, and put some sensible prices on them. I would be first in line to bid!

--------------------

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted June 26, 2013 10:16 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand Lars ... I didn't say anything but it's a beautiful print? The a bit red comment was for Laksmi's The Birds, which is a little better than mine, which is awful :-)

Your Tony Curtis looks really good ... I never seen the movie, I wondered if that was any good :-)

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2013 11:54 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar, my answer to you was on how the movie is, nothing else.
I perhaps should have made it clearer in some way, re-reading what I wrote I see it can be misunderstood.

--------------------

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted June 26, 2013 11:59 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL, I can see what you mean too now, re-reading it :-)

Okay, not a top film, but decent enough ... I thought you might have seen the reply to The Birds pictures from Laksmi :-)

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2013 02:21 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Birds is just as popular as Star Wars. And Vidar all the copies I have seen of 400 digest are worse then mine. To tell you the true most copies have gone red. At least ones I have seen. You want good color on a top title you got to pay for it on eBay. I was watching tonight STAR WARS digest  -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 26, 2013 02:23 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just about to switch the Xenon lamp on in 2 minutes for an evening screening of Gone With the Wind. Going to be a late night!
Here we go and thank you derann for this one.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 26, 2013 02:54 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking forward to your GWTW Lee, we to are fortunate to own a full feature of this, our is an excellent Kodak print and is A1 throughout. [Wink]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 27, 2013 03:33 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight we have put through our 4 x 400ft feature of Dark Star, now mounted onto 2 x 800ft spools..
What a great little film this is and with quite a cult following. We originally purchased the double album version from Iver but with 90% of the comical parts removed this, for us, was a little unsatisfactory. This feature copy came up from our local dealer here in Plymouth and its an excellent print throughout with no colour fade at all. Now rather than ramble on about the story etc this one is worth checking out on-line by simply typing in Dark Star Movie on google and check the wickidpedia site. I know its not always acurate but this one is quite good and may make a more interesting read on this unique film which as many will know was made by Dan o Bannon and John Carpenter as a student film in 1973 and shot on 16mm, the rest, as they say, is history. Its one item i'm surprised has never been re-made but having said that, no matter how superb any modern day special effects would be i dont think it would ever top this cheap budget version made for just $60,000.

-

- IMG]

-

-

-

-

Akshay Nanjangud
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2013 12:14 AM      Profile for Akshay Nanjangud   Email Akshay Nanjangud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't watched Dark Star but one paragraph in Roger Ebert's review is interesting. He reviewed the feature in 1980, six years after it was made. Ebert says:

"It was finished some four years ago, before "Star Wars," and might have had a big success as a cult film if its original distributor hadn't been so chicken-hearted that he dumped it in a string of Southern California drive-ins and then pulled it out of commercial release. As it is, "Dark Star" has found audiences on the campus and revival circuits, has been a hit here at Facets Multimedia, and, at last, is having its first commercial run at the Three Penny Cinema."

Ebert gave Dark Star three stars and his review is very positive.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 28, 2013 10:39 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great screenshots, one and all. I agree about films growing on you. I likeed "The Earthling" (William Holden/Ricky Shroeder, 1980), when I was younger, but I truly love the film today and it is one of the few films that can really get me teary eyed, as I see my own relationship with my dad in that film.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 28, 2013 10:47 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
No shame in that Osi.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted June 28, 2013 02:14 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cops and Robbers, 16mm feature, colors not all that, but ...
 -

-

-

-

-

-

-

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 28, 2013 02:30 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,
Who released DARK STAR as a feature?

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 28, 2013 02:33 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Released by Iver Films Michael.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 28, 2013 03:02 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Hugh. [Smile]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 28, 2013 04:28 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just watched (it is 11:20 pm, here) Lighthouse By The Sea in super 8. It's a silent movie from 1924 with Rintintin.

--------------------
Dominique

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2013 12:32 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started with a 200ft Derann print of "The Eagle's Nest"

-

-

-

The main feature was "Schindler's List" on blu-ray

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2013 01:29 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice shots from Dark Star Tom and those cop shots Vidar. Last night I watched EMPIRE digest  -

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 29, 2013 03:03 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathon, thar Eagles nest is a great little short, as it happens that was one of the very first films my Brother bought on standard 8 b/w silent back in 1975, we managed to get the Derann 200ft colour sound version just a few years ago,
Laksmi, Empire 2 400ft is looking good, our part one appears to have some fade but its never really got any worse over the years so im not sure how good this one really was, its a great cut down and well put together, if only they showed the Darth Vader "i am your Father" bit, just a few seconds worth of extra would have all the difference, [Mad]

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2013 03:29 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom, it's a very entertaining short. Although I was aware of the place, I didn't know it was a tourist attraction.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2013 04:15 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With regard to 'The Eagle's Nest' I screened this as part of a one hour show to my local Over 50's Club in January. It provoked quite a few comments with one person telling me they had visited the place a few years ago.

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  133  134  135  136  137  138  139  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC