8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 14)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2009 04:42 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the weekend:

The 39 Steps - Hitchcock version (DVD projection)
The Train - Burt Lancaster (DVD projection)

Must get the film projectors out again!

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Gillan
Junior

- posted March 24, 2009 07:31 PM      Profile for Christopher Gillan   Email Christopher Gillan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonights programe was the sound of Music show for the first time with out stopping on a home made tower.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 24, 2009 08:41 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched "Q: The Winged Serpent"

and two cartoon shorts:

Banana Binge (Terrytoons: Sick Sidney, 1961)
Magoo Goes Overboard (UPA: Magoo scope 1957)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2009 05:00 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just screened (super 8):

- Dario Argento's THE CAT O' NINE TAILS (IL GATTO A NOVE CODE, 1971);
- THE AMITYVILLE HORROR (digest, 1979).

It was a horror night ah ah ah... [Eek!]

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 26, 2009 02:29 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
- Man on Wire (DVD projection) great Oscar winner documentary about the lad who walked on a wire between the Twin Towers in 1974.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2009 08:36 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc, I would pay to have Mylène Farmer's videos in super 8! Most of them are real masterpieces! Nothing to do with your previous post, but reading of you I have thought how great those little movies are. Ciao.
GL

[ April 04, 2009, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Gian Luca Mario Loncrini ]

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 27, 2009 03:57 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday's screening:
- The Black Hole

GL: Yes MF's videos are actual movies, all of them shot in 35. There are prints out there.

[ November 06, 2010, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Jean-Marc Toussaint ]

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2009 05:34 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean, good to know! Have a good day.
Gian

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 28, 2009 02:48 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Friday night DVD screening:
- The Mist
I had missed this one as it was released only briefly in theatres. Great horror thriller by Frank Darabont, superb camera work.

--------------------

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2009 05:55 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night, first Buster Keaton's "The General" with the little ones as a very appreciative audience.
Then a scope print of Truffaut's "Tirez sur le pianiste" (shoot the piano player" with just me as a very appreciative audience.
Both 16mm prints.

- Rob

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 30, 2009 06:31 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sunday, 29th March 2009

Disney Night (what a piece of news):

- SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS (Derann);
- SLEEPING BEAUTY (Derann).

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2009 08:44 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
March 22 - May 5

I am traveling and won't be screening anything during this time. Watch for my posts when I do get started again. I am missing my home cinema very much......

~ CG ~

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2009 09:12 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
April 4th, Saturday

* The Little Rascals 'TWO TOO YOUNG' (Blackhawk)
* The Little Rascals 'SHRIMPS FOR A DAY' (Blackhawk)
* The Little Rascals 'HOOK AND LADDER' (Blackhawk)
* The Little Rascals 'FRAMIN' YOUTH' (Blackhawk - ONE OF MY FAVORITE)
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2009 05:07 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian Luca Mario,

I too, am a huge Rascals fan.

Nice line-up of Rascals short films.
I have all of these with the exception of Framing Youth.
Too Too Young is great and the firecracker scene is hilarious.
Do you have Pigskin Palooka? This is a fun and fast moving
one reel Rascals short film.

Fifteen years ago, I was very pleased to have met
Rosina Lawrence. She was a very sweet, kind, delightful and dear lady;
the same as she was in the Rascals films. I also met, Dorothy De Borba, Jerry Tucker, Pineapple Jackson, Jackie Lyn, Tommy "Butch" Bond, and Shirley Jean Measures, who unfortunately passed away away.

Jerry Tucker lives about thirty minutes from my home,
and a great guy.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2009 06:10 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael. How nice to read all this!

Well, I still miss a lot in my collection, but I do have FRAMING YOUTH, that is one of my favorite. Well, I always laugh like a fool when I screen THE KID FROM BORNEO, HEARTS ARE THUMPS, LITTLE SINNER and, my God, SPOOKY HOOKY. So, so funny!

I do have THE PIGSKIN PALOOKA too, even if it is not one of my favorite. I'm actually getting crazy to find FISHY TALES: cannot stop laughing (almost crying) when all those cats follow Buckwheat carrying that big, huge fish!

Here in Italy the whole series has been dubbed and aired in the late 70's. It has never been released in 8 mm, and I was the happiest man in the world when I discovered that in USA it did! I started to look for those episodes immediately. And I'm still doing it.

I was a little kid, during the 70's, and I remember those afternoons waiting for those little, funny kids who were absolutely and tenderly terrible.

Wow. You have met Rosina Lawrence... And Jerry Tucker lives close to you. Cannot believe. You live next to a piece of American Cinema History. My compliments. Really.

And thanks for making me so happy with your post. Just let me know if, in your collection, you have more than one copy of the same episode. I would be really happy and pleased to buy them.
Thanks once more. And nice to meet you, of course.

Gian Luca

Oh, I forgot: tonight I have screened OUR GANG FOLLIES OF 1936 that has just arrived as a present from Mike. Great. And in great condition. Thank you!

[ April 06, 2009, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Gian Luca Mario Loncrini ]

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2009 10:28 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian Luca Mario

The following year after meeting Rosina, we had learned
of a very nice restaurant that is close to where I live.
The name of the Restaurant is Crabtrees, and it is with
fond memory of The Rascals.

The story goes that the owner of Crabtrees' father, grew up in Greece, and loved the Rascals. This father was in the restaurant business too, and he shared stories with his son, how he loved the Rascals.

Years later the son opens this restaurant and inside he adorns the walls with huge original posters from the Gang's films. The posters are printed on linen, but happen to be the releases after 1938. Thus, the titles are from the
MGM released shorts.

When we learned of the restaurant and his affection for the films,
The Sons of the Desert appreciation society here in N.Y., contacted John McCabe and Rosina Lawrence.

Jack McCabe ( the Laurel and Hardy biographer, and he also has an
interview on the deluxe set of Yankee Doodle Dandy) and
Rosina were on their second marriage after their spouses had
passed.

Rosina had a home in Brooklyn, N.Y., because her first husband was a Judge in the N.Y. area and where Rosina eventually raised her family after leaving Hollywood.

Jack and Rosina were delighted to attend our group again, as we were all to be there and she autographed one of the linen posters.

We paid for the limousine, but they could not stay for the evening. Rosina was not well, and had Physician appointments in the morning.

The weather was stormy and terrible, and she was sick but did not want to disappoint us.

Truthfully speaking she was extremely ill, and about a year or so, - not quite
two years - she had left us.

These two events, The first at the N.Y. 1994 Convention and at the restaurant
bring fond memories.

When they greeted us at the N.Y. '94 Convention and as they walked in, it was
as we experienced Royalty. Both were very gracious, and Rosina was an exceptional gift to us all.

Check out the picts and the posters.Crabtrees's Restaurant

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2009 02:12 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, interesting story again. Michael.
I'm planning to come to N.Y. soon. And trust me, I will visit this place. Absolutely.
Thanks once more for this little, good story.
Greetings from Italy.
GL

--------------------

Den Brown
Master Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2009 07:04 AM      Profile for Den Brown   Email Den Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Traffic In The Alps: The Danger Of Avalanches Upon Mountain Railways'

'Apollo 17'

'Speed & Spray'

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2009 03:40 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just screened ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST on super 8.
Terrible print, but unforgettable movie.

--------------------

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2009 05:37 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moonwalk on 16mm; the story of Apollo 11. Very pretentious but with some fantastic footage of the launch and flight and amazing colour.

I believe this is a 45 min condensed version of a NASA film but I've no idea what it's called.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2009 10:12 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah very excited today because finally found a reg 8mm that I am happy with ELMO AP-8(but still need a manual to fix a few things like the rewind)

I watched some 8mm silent shorts
Slick Slickers w/ Neal Burns
Perils of Pauline ep 04 Deadly Turning
and a feature My Lady of Whims with Clara Bow

then Star Crash on super 8 with its german dialogue since I still haven't rerecoreded it.

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2009 03:18 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,

many here swear by the Eumigs for standard 8 projection. There are lots of them, they´re not expensive and great quality. I bought mine from this guy in Austria, he´s to be trusted.

http://www.super8film.at/

Cheers
Lars

[ April 13, 2009, 04:47 AM: Message edited by: Lars Pettersson ]

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2009 06:15 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night, "High Noon" in super 8. I had forgotten what a timeless film this is. Grace Kelly in superb acting form, together with Katy Jurado. Gripping psychological and moral stuff. Gary Cooper excellent as usual. Lee van Cleef & Lloyd Bridges in full supporting roles.

A Note for Rob Koeling, if you're reading this. I see you screened "The General" with Buster Keaton recently in 16mm.

I have a print of this in Standard 8, but wonder if you know where I can obtain a 16mm version.

Cheers,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2009 07:17 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this standard 8 Eumig, a sound projector?

I love High Noon too. What is the source of your print?

Thomas Mitchell and Lon Chaney Jr., are terrific too.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2009 07:39 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,

I am embarrassed to say that I can't remember if I bought High Noon from a fellow Forum member, or from one of our suppliers here in the UK. I've had it for quite a while, and can't even remember how long ago I last screened it. Perhaps I should start keeping records of these transactions and screenings.

The print, however, is absolutely flawless with excellent sound quality. Projected on my Elmo ST1200HD and using my Ampro Stylist Major 12 inch extension speaker. The vocal by Tex Ritter took me back to my youth when my parents took me and my brother to see a wild west show at Harringay Arena, London, where Tex was the star of the show. I must have been about 8 or 9 years old at the time, but I can still remember that. - Funny how some things stick and others don't.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC