8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What Films did you show last night? (Page 184)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  181  182  183  184  185  186  187  ...  229  230  231 

Author Topic: What Films did you show last night?
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 11, 2015 06:28 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lambeth Walk Nazi Style (a film made to ridiculize Nazis), Pathe Review 66 (in colour), Kid Millions (a musical), En scooter sous les mers (a documentary Under the sea, Les sternes des îles Seychelles (a documentary about bird eggs being collected by men, making these birds disappearing ; this Hefa release has still good colours) and Let It Be (saddly a little bit pinkish but still watchable, excellent sound)

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2015 07:41 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Churchill (and possible Derann) call it "Scnickegruber does the Lambeth Walk" to make it even more ridiculing, a great display of how to use a set-optical printer though.

My ones last night were the 400ft Animal House, a little faded but not really pink overall (I couldn't find a stock name) and Buccaneer Bunny a brilliant print from Derann on 4S with the brightest colours and lowest grain I have seen on 8mm. I got that one cheap as it has an emulsion side green scratch on a few feet near the end one of the "Movieola Series of Imports".

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 14, 2015 05:55 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday night : Every Sunday ( a musical short with Judy Garland), Tree In A Test Tube (a promotional film for wood in colours with Laurel and Hardy), Hitler's Children ( a fiction), La chasse au rhinocéros ( a documentary from the hunting documentaries serie), Help Trailer (no need to say what it is), Jardin de la mer (a documentary about Under the sea) and two cinemascope shorts : Volcanic Violence and Movietone Scope Reel 1. Tonight : Adolph Hitler (a documentary ; I'm not a fan of Hitler, it just happened that the films related with him were in the same box), Un bienfait n'est jamais perdu (Tom and Jerry, a Film Office release with still good colours), Laurel and Hardy News Reels (in their case, I'm a fan, Cine Ads N°9, La tour (from René Clair, there is a surprising soundtrack with music of French songs ; the result is not bad), Barocco (a 120 mt/400ft digest of a French film with Gérard Depardieu and Isabelle Adjani, the colours are still there) and finally the famous Cinema In Miniature.

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 14, 2015 06:22 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Très bien Domininque! That's an impressive list of film viewing. What a great weekend [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 14, 2015 06:32 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Merci, Janice ! I discovered the expression "binge watch" in one of your recent messages. Maybe it could have been used here ;-)

--------------------
Dominique

Barry Webb
Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2015 10:19 AM      Profile for Barry Webb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Squirm 16mm

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2015 11:07 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A standard 8 silent film made by Weymouth Cine Club back in the 50's. Titled 'Penny' about the travels of an old Victorian penny found in the sand on the beach. It depicts how it changes hands with several people spending it in different ways and then ending back lost in the sand. Wonderful little film and shows Weymouth in bygone days. Priceless!
Also a Standard 8 sound film in glorious colour showing the beer making process at the Devenish brewery in Hope Square, Weymouth - long gone now. Accompanied by a great 'beer song'. Also made by the Weymouth Cine Club around the same era. Fabulous!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 18, 2015 02:58 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched 16mm Shoot the Moon (1982) starring Albert Finney, Diane Keaton, Peter Weller (RoboCop), and Karen Allen. This is the TV edited version, but very nice LPP quality and sound. This picture was filmed in the SF Bay Area with scenes in San Francisco, Marin County, and Oakland.

-

--------------------
Janice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 19, 2015 01:44 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was on a strange kick and watched 3X400ft worth of classic Black and White trailers from the 30's and 40's, largely Warner Brothers and largely Bogart/Flynn/Betty Davis. One neat little bit on it is a screen test with Flynn for a never produced film. It looks like it was around the early 40's as Flynn still looks really good. I have no idea as to who put this out.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Carter
Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2015 02:16 PM      Profile for Steve Carter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Redneck (1973) Starring Telly Savalas, Franco Nero, Mark Lester.
Iver Films 2 x 400ft, some fade but still has blues and greens.
This is a very strange film, having only ever seen my 2 x 400 Iver cut down, which is violent Savalas plays Memphis who is quite unbalanced and violent his partner in crime is Franco Nero who plays Mosquito, after a violent jewel robbery they steal a car with a child still on board Lennox Duncan played by Mark Lester. Later we find the robbery was in vain as there are no jewels in the cases. One of the most disturbing scenes is when Lester and Nero come across a family on a caravan holiday who are sat around having a meal, mother, father, young children and a baby they ask them for food which they give to them, all is well then Savalas turns up, he is cocky and mouthy, and taunts the family, finally he makes the whole family go inside the caravan, he then locks them in, takes the brake off the caravan it runs down into a lake and sinks with the family locked inside, you see the caravan slowly sinking, they watch on. The two jewel thieves are being tracked down through-out, Lesters character forms a close bound with Nero's character, Nero tries to protect him from Savalas, who is violent towards Lester and even pulls the trigger at his head, the bullet just grazing him, this to force Nero to do what he tells him. At the end of the 'manhunt' they both get it, the Lester character tries to protect Nero but too late.It's not too bad and takes a couple of viewings, the Savalas character mumbles a lot and talks gibberish, just like in movies of today, which I refer to as the school of mumbling, it's hard to get what is being said at times. Redneck is an Italian made film originally called 'Senza ragione' (Without Reason) and was directed by Silvio Narizzano.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2015 06:29 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monday night: FERDINAND THE BULL,trailers for THE THREE MUSKETEERS,IVANHOE,A NIGHT TO REMEMBER and THE 39 STEPS (1959),Charley Chase in ALL WET and the main feature THE LADYKILLERS the classic Ealing comedy in a superb Derann print.
Tuesday:UNACCUSTOMED AS WE ARE,Stan and Ollie's first talkie,with scratchy sound and Tom Mix in IN THE DAYS OF THE THUNDERING HERD, a 1915 actionful three reeler,(in 18 fps).All in super 8.
Saturday at a friend's open air cinema,MISSISSIPI BURNING and SHOWBIZ BUGS,both in glorious 35 mm.

[ September 20, 2015, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Panayotis A. Carayannis ]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 21, 2015 08:48 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night: All three reels of "Yellow Rose of Texas"

There's just something wonderful about watching a real stinker! The plot is paper thin, Roy Rogers and Trigger were about equal as actors, and the whole thing is really just an excuse to sing hokey cowboy songs with big smiles and Howdy-Doody costumes!

The plot resolution was Roy finding the missing payroll, explaining how he figured it all out and a big music and dance number with all the good guys there, so I guess it turned out OK!

(I can't be too hard on it: it has a certain innocent charm...kind of like an elementary school play!)

The print is another matter. The negative was obviously on the experienced side: white lines, sometimes playfully mobile on screen, pretty rainy at times. The sound was generally steady but became muddy and dropped out here and there too. The third reel is so dupey it felt like I was watching the negative here and there.

Last year I kiddingly suggested this be the Friday Feature at CineSea and lived in terror of it being actually being voted in! (I actually campaigned against my own film!)

It is OK for what it is: something to watch once in a while, appreciate for its silliness and then put away for months, maybe even years.

-just nothing for an audience!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2015 06:47 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I thought Yellow Rose was a really good musical, with some outstanding performances. Not a great Western, but as a musical entertainment, excellent. Last Labor day I watched a print of it that I had bought from Gary Sloan the year before. I had never seen the film before. Our film friends, Larry and Gwynne, from Columbus, Ohio were staying with us that weekend. Larry loves Westerns, Gwynne hates them. So Larry and I stayed up late to watch Yellow Rose. We were floored by how good it was, how enjoyable. The finale reprise performance on the showboat was a lot of fun, with some excellent ballet dancing and, of course, the dancing horse. Next day, we told Gwynne about it and she agreed to watch the finale with us and, being a former ballet dancer, she not only tolerated it, but loved it, as did my wife. The plot and such does suffer because my print and Steve's is the 54 minute version Republic edited for TV showings. There are some holes and odd cuts, including the first number done by the guys in the horse suit....so that when the horse shows up in the finale, it's just strange.
Great singing...a well mounted production...not if you like true Westerns, but yes, if you like nice songs, done well....and dancing.
So...it goes to prove that one person's garbage is another's treasure...and goes to prove why it's so hard to pick a Friday night feature for Cinesea.
Also, my print was a nice original..although a bit warped...and viewing an original 16mm print does improve the viewing experience, especially with a musical film.
Now, I'm on the lookout for a rare uncut print of Yellow Rose. It was odd, too, that the year before on Labor Day weekend, I had screened for Larry a print of Hearts of the Golden West...which ALSO was about a showboat. Plot was sillier than Rose...but it had good songs, including some Southern traditional Negro songs, AND both Smiley Burnett and Gabby Hayes...so a bit too much silly. Still, we enjoyed it.
I was thinking of bringing the finale/reprise scene of Rose to run as my contribution to the Saturday night showing of shorts and such at Cinesea. I may have to rethink that idea.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 22, 2015 08:02 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Morning Gary!,

I think you hit the nail on the head why this one isn't exactly my thing:

I wanted a real Western. I wanted saddle hardened guys with shootin' 'arns ridin' hosses. After grub I wanted 'em playin' harmonica 'round the farr and coyotes a-callin' out in the hills.

-Whiskey, Leather and Cow Farts!

If they sang at all, I wanted 'em singin' like Jack Palance in City Slickers.

(I wuz hopin' fer John Wayne but found Sherriff Woody from Toy Story!)

Granted, I really haven't seen the whole thing, but I doubt even given the extra footage Roy Rogers was gonna spit tobaccy wearin' that fancy shirt!

BTW: Bring your film if you like it, don't let some wiseguy from New York make you feel differently about it! (I may enjoy skewering the movie a little, but I never said I wasn't keeping it, did I?)

[ September 22, 2015, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2015 04:05 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just viewed "The Electric Horseman" Universal 2 x 400ft (spliced together. A good cut down starting squeezed for titles then masked to about 1.85:1. I've not projected this for years and I was sad to see at the start that it had faded and was very pink, however the second reel was totally different most colours were there and it hadn't faded.

Naturally as it has been on the same reel since bought new (from Portland I believe), this came as a surprise. It has Eastman safety Film on the second reel but and I think the same on reel 1. I wonder of as well as storage the lab processing may have something to do with the fading - part exhausted chemicals? The leader had Technicolor labs so i would hope not.

Still I thoroughly enjoyed it and think the scenery was more colourful in the second half so I'm glad that has survived the better of the two.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 01, 2015 09:22 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must have been in some kind of Blackhawk Mood last night. I did Movies that Talk and Sing followed by Mush and Milk ("Don't drink the milk! It's spoiled!!")

I have to hand it to the marketing people in the Eastin-Phelan building: Movies that Talk and Sing was created to make people want to buy Blackhawk's new sound films, and 43 years later it still works!

-I want every film in there now!

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 01, 2015 09:35 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yellow Rose of Texas 1944 issued by good old Collectors Club. [Big Grin]
Never tire of CC releases and this well known Super 8 feature has delightful Betty Western in it, good owd Trigger not to mention Roy. Easy going watch and fits on a 1200ft spool which is handy around 55 minutes.
'A high falootin jamboree of Super 8 fun yee ha'

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2015 07:41 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Message to Steve Klare:

"SPOILED NOTHING! You pour that milk on your mush and EAT IT! BAAAAAAAAAA!"

[Wink]

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2015 08:08 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 -
Louise Emmons is classic! I wish this could be my avatar!
[Smile]

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2015 07:39 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perfect Mathew!

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 04, 2015 05:21 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Gold Rush with one Mr Chaplin.

Enjoyable evening accompanying the projected silent film playing my Hammond organ with theatre organ settings.
Happy days!
 -

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 05, 2015 04:26 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Expect like many of you we have been making ready for the Halloween 8mm film show.. A great Universal 8 400ft film which I must have had in the 1970's later editing in the 200ft reel version. Wonderful fun for so many years!
 -

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 18, 2015 02:33 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night was a double feature night. I pulled down my Eumig 810D from the shelf to watch my Std. 8mm sound 4x400 set of the Marx Brothers in A Night in Casablanca (1946). Then it was 16mm time with Cactus Flower (1969). The clothing...the music... the dancing...and the decorating are typical of the times. At first you might take it for an Austin Powers movie [Smile] ...but no this is for real. Many don't remember that Goldie Hawn won best supporting actress for her role in this movie. It has a strong comedic cast and sarcastic dialog that makes this little movie fun to watch.

-

[ October 20, 2015, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2015 03:00 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dressed to Kill (De Palm) 400ft "Selected scenes" edition, none of the real story as it doesn't show who the killer is or why, but all the scenes that were cut from the soft TV showings. Still quite good colour thoug it never was too good, not very pink Eastmancolour. Also "Bunlge's Birthday Party" one of the Wombles films I bought from Mark at the 9.5 event Sunday, much better colour.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted October 23, 2015 04:30 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The 3x 400ft version is very well edited Brian. I have a copy myself and although losing a little of it's colour, it's still a really decent film to view I find with a good storyline and plenty of mention of Super 8 film also!
A little on the grainy side but no more than most printed from this era.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central
This topic comprises 231 pages: 1  2  3  ...  181  182  183  184  185  186  187  ...  229  230  231 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC